Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Zimbabwe in Australia Thread

Pinball Champion!

*Official* Zimbabwe in Australia thread

Well Zimbabwe are playing there first test series with no Flower brothers, after Grant broke his thumb...

They have recalled Wishart, Gripper and Craig Evans, as well as bringing Gavin Ewing in...

IMO they have done very well with there limited player pool, hopefully they will show there usual fighting spirit and will give Australia more of a fright than they gave England....
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Hmm, I though Wishart had retired after the WC.

Gripper is an enigma. He seems to have quite good defensive technique but too often just stalls at the crease for few runs... sort of like the Daren Ganga of old.

Craig Evans is a given to play Australia. He is an experienced player and Zimbabwe desperately need some experience.

I don't want to diss Zimbabwe or anything, but without Flower, I can see this series going worse for them than the Bangladeshi venture. That said, it can easily go the other way because that's the way Zimbabwe are.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    I don't want to diss Zimbabwe or anything, but without Flower, I can see this series going worse for them than the Bangladeshi venture. That said, it can easily go the other way because that's the way Zimbabwe are.

I agree, it could well be worse, but traditionally Zimbabwe have such a lot of fight that it makes up slightly for the lack of depth, however this was sadly lacking in England this summer cept for Streak and Flower...

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    My guess: ritual disembowelment.

Heck, if we can beat them by an innings, twice, easily...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Rik
    Glad to see they've picked Gavin Ewing, I've been tipping him for a while to get into the side. Has taken 7 wickets in an innings and scored a 200 in barely any games so far in his career, thinks of himself as more of a bowler but his batting has been his strong point. If he can succeed in either then Zimbabwe might have found a star.
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Crazy though that this is Zimbabwe's first test series in Australia. Bangladesh beat them to it, but ZImbabwe became members in what, 1992?
    My house is burned down but I can see the sky.

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by Bazza
    Crazy though that this is Zimbabwe's first test series in Australia. Bangladesh beat them to it, but ZImbabwe became members in what, 1992?
    Amazing isnt it, how many times have England been to Aus since 1992? It kind of makes a mockery of the whole ICC championship IMO... As well as not being fair in the first place...

Originally posted by Langeveldt
    Amazing isnt it, how many times have England been to Aus since 1992? It kind of makes a mockery of the whole ICC championship IMO... As well as not being fair in the first place...
    Except that England go to Australia to play a traditional series, not an ICC series per se.

Yes...

Tell me, HAVE PEOPLE EVEN GOT BRAINS ANYMORE

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by gibbsnsmith
    Yes...

Tell me, HAVE PEOPLE EVEN GOT BRAINS ANYMORE
    Of course they do, its more a case of stuffy tradition over logical thinking, thats all...

No Flower decreases Zimbabwe's chances.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Originally posted by Craig
    No Flower decreases Zimbabwe's chances.
    You seem to have a genuine knack for stating the obvious Craig.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer roofromoz's Avatar
    Originally posted by Bazza
    Yeah, I find it very strange. We have only played them in one test, in Harare in 1999. But we have played them in at least 20 one dayers... and they always seem to be very competitive.

Zimbabwe do well with their very limited player pool. They always seem to produce talented players and the odd win here and there, but I believe that they are still at least one quality batsman and bowler short of being consistent enough to trouble their opposition.

I am looking forward to this upcoming series - they should be a greater spectacle than Bangladesh. Australia will be too strong in the end, but the Zimbabweans will put up a fight.

I think they will perform quite well in the VB Series as well, and with the Indians also in the tournament, it should be quite exciting.

I am also willing to make the very bold prediction of Andy Flower making a return to the Zimbabwe team sometime in their tour... after all, he is playing for the Redbacks this upcoming season, and if they do suffer injury, they have a quality backup without having to fly them across the Indian.

But then again, he seemed to be quite emphatic with his retirement...
    TRUE TO THE BLUES
    Defending ING and Pura Cup champions

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    There's not a snowball's chance in hell of Andy Flower returning to International Cricket whilst that thing is still in charge in Zimbabwe.

Oh, and if you think Zimbabwe have got it bad, Sri Lanka (First Test, Colombo (PSS), February 17, 1982) are still yet to tour Australia for Test Matches.

What do you mean Neil? I believe Sri Lanka came to Australia for three Tests in 1995-96 season and on occasions for two or three Test series before that, so your comments dont stand up if you are talking up the ICC Test Championship.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information