• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Zimbabwe in Australia Thread

Langeveldt

Soutie
*Official* Zimbabwe in Australia thread

Well Zimbabwe are playing there first test series with no Flower brothers, after Grant broke his thumb...

They have recalled Wishart, Gripper and Craig Evans, as well as bringing Gavin Ewing in...

IMO they have done very well with there limited player pool, hopefully they will show there usual fighting spirit and will give Australia more of a fright than they gave England....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm, I though Wishart had retired after the WC.

Gripper is an enigma. He seems to have quite good defensive technique but too often just stalls at the crease for few runs... sort of like the Daren Ganga of old.

Craig Evans is a given to play Australia. He is an experienced player and Zimbabwe desperately need some experience.

I don't want to diss Zimbabwe or anything, but without Flower, I can see this series going worse for them than the Bangladeshi venture. That said, it can easily go the other way because that's the way Zimbabwe are.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I don't want to diss Zimbabwe or anything, but without Flower, I can see this series going worse for them than the Bangladeshi venture. That said, it can easily go the other way because that's the way Zimbabwe are.

I agree, it could well be worse, but traditionally Zimbabwe have such a lot of fight that it makes up slightly for the lack of depth, however this was sadly lacking in England this summer cept for Streak and Flower...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Glad to see they've picked Gavin Ewing, I've been tipping him for a while to get into the side. Has taken 7 wickets in an innings and scored a 200 in barely any games so far in his career, thinks of himself as more of a bowler but his batting has been his strong point. If he can succeed in either then Zimbabwe might have found a star.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Crazy though that this is Zimbabwe's first test series in Australia. Bangladesh beat them to it, but ZImbabwe became members in what, 1992?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Bazza said:
Crazy though that this is Zimbabwe's first test series in Australia. Bangladesh beat them to it, but ZImbabwe became members in what, 1992?
Amazing isnt it, how many times have England been to Aus since 1992? It kind of makes a mockery of the whole ICC championship IMO... As well as not being fair in the first place...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
Amazing isnt it, how many times have England been to Aus since 1992? It kind of makes a mockery of the whole ICC championship IMO... As well as not being fair in the first place...
Except that England go to Australia to play a traditional series, not an ICC series per se.

roofromoz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Bazza said:
Yeah, I find it very strange. We have only played them in one test, in Harare in 1999. But we have played them in at least 20 one dayers... and they always seem to be very competitive.

Zimbabwe do well with their very limited player pool. They always seem to produce talented players and the odd win here and there, but I believe that they are still at least one quality batsman and bowler short of being consistent enough to trouble their opposition.

I am looking forward to this upcoming series - they should be a greater spectacle than Bangladesh. Australia will be too strong in the end, but the Zimbabweans will put up a fight.

I think they will perform quite well in the VB Series as well, and with the Indians also in the tournament, it should be quite exciting.

I am also willing to make the very bold prediction of Andy Flower making a return to the Zimbabwe team sometime in their tour... after all, he is playing for the Redbacks this upcoming season, and if they do suffer injury, they have a quality backup without having to fly them across the Indian.

But then again, he seemed to be quite emphatic with his retirement...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
There's not a snowball's chance in hell of Andy Flower returning to International Cricket whilst that thing is still in charge in Zimbabwe.

Oh, and if you think Zimbabwe have got it bad, Sri Lanka (First Test, Colombo (PSS), February 17, 1982) are still yet to tour Australia for Test Matches.

Craig

World Traveller
What do you mean Neil? I believe Sri Lanka came to Australia for three Tests in 1995-96 season and on occasions for two or three Test series before that, so your comments dont stand up if you are talking up the ICC Test Championship.

Rich2001

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Oh, and if you think Zimbabwe have got it bad, Sri Lanka (First Test, Colombo (PSS), February 17, 1982) are still yet to tour Australia for Test Matches.
They tour there next winter/summer though dont they.