• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Zimbabwe in Australia Thread

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looks like my tip was right. :) COnsidering how well he was batting after I tipped him when he was on 9, it's no surprise. :) He just went bezerk after getting to 100, didn't he?? I was sure he was going to get out before he got there, though.

Craig

World Traveller
I can safely say I saw two balls of the whole day's play. So I wont give much comment. They were two ball's from Streak to Steve Waugh.

Rich2001

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
Looks like my tip was right. :) COnsidering how well he was batting after I tipped him when he was on 9, it's no surprise. :) He just went bezerk after getting to 100, didn't he?? I was sure he was going to get out before he got there, though.
Hayden did well not to lose his head, in the middle of watching a 3 hour highlights programe and they just said that's his first boundary for 23 overs :O

Craig

World Traveller
That is so un-Hayden like. Usually he probably would of committed "criciketing-suicide" by then.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Hayden Batted so well. Batted heaps defensivley while there was teh ring field was there and the bowling really defensive. than he cam off an the en of the day and belted the crap out of them, a great innings so far.

Heath Streak should have batted after winning the toss, he does not have the bowlers to put any pessure on the aussie batsmen so tto put pressure on he needed runs on the board

Top_Cat

That is so un-Hayden like. Usually he probably would of committed "criciketing-suicide" by then.
Oh yeah, with 15 Test hundreds and 11 50's (9 of them over 120) he sure has has the tendency to not go on with the job after getting a start..................:D

Matt Hayden; 103 HIMSELF in the final session and that was after starting the session quite slowly. Been a while since we've seen such quick scoring in a Test. Bear in mind, he has a back problem too!

Rich2001

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
Oh yeah, with 15 Test hundreds and 11 50's (9 of them over 120) he sure has has the tendency to not go on with the job after getting a start..................:D
I recall agaist England last year he hit 182 overnight, forgot to play himself in the next day tried to wack us out the park and ended up getting out for about 195. ;)

Actually come to think of it most of last year was a poor season for Hayden, after the fireworks of the year before anyway. He got himself out alot after getting a start (That Hook shot comes to mind!)

Top_Cat

I recall agaist England last year he hit 182 overnight, forgot to play himself in the next day tried to wack us out the park and ended up getting out for about 195.
Actually it was 197 and the hook which got him out was a pretty stiff-looking one. I reckon his back was acting up. He was class the day before, absolute class. That shot looked like the shot of someone who'd not score 197 in their career let alone the previous day so something else may have caused it.

Steve Waugh looks ominous already today. What's the money on a double ton for him? Considering its his last Test in Perth, he may want to go out with a BIG bang!

Actually come to think of it most of last year was a poor season for Hayden, after the fireworks of the year before anyway. He got himself out alot after getting a start (That Hook shot comes to mind!)
Yeah after then scoring 103 in the second dig of the same game and then 103 two Tests later, I'm sure he was looknig for a nearby cliff. :D

I see what you're saying but he was on the recieving end of a couple of dodgies in that series (particularly in Sydney) so who knows what he might have done?

anzac

International Debutant
I think Streak conceeded that he had to bowl first to use what little moisture was still in the pitch on Day 1.

The bowlers did well enough to take the 3 wickets in the first 2 sessions, and then they managed to keep Hayden quiet for most of the afternoon.

A tremendous effort from the Aussie batsmen to get thru that period and then come back and post a total in excess of 350 for the day - a major contrast to the 100 runs less posted by India on Day 1 (yes I know different pitches & opposition strategies etc).

:)

Top_Cat

Good to see I jinxed Steve Waugh (c&b: Ervine 76) but you have to admit, it was an unusual dismissal!

If Hayden keeps bating like he is, he's looking good for a triple ton!

Andre

International Regular
Corey tipped him for a ton. I'm not going to put Bradman's score out of his reach.

David

International 12th Man
I was there at the WACA, as was Paid.

Wow, that'll be something to tell the kids. I was there :) :)
380 runs..

Thats the best feeling I've ever had whilst watching a game of cricket.

anzac

International Debutant
Hayden - 380 awesome!!!!!

I've missed most of the play from India keeping an eye on him....

:O

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Top_Cat said:
Just like to be the first to tip Matt Hayden for a ton if his first two shots are anything to go by. Gee he looks like he's hitting the ball VERY well already.
I think you went a bit low in your prediction there T_C! ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What a shame a batsman of Lara's skill (not to mention Sobers, Hanif, Hutton et al) has been beaten by such an inelegant player in such an easy situation. A Test-match in name, but hardly in nature. There can't have been too many worse attacks to play Test-cricket; plenty as bad, obviously, but not many worse.
Lara might have had a pitch as good, but he had to score his runs against an attack including Caddick and Fraser.
I hope Graeme Smith or someone beats an unworthy record in as quick time as Nathan Astle fairly recently took to beat another by an Australian, namely fastest Test double-century.
The one consolation is that Hayden at least merited the score, no matter how easy it was to get it, he wasn't dropped or missed lbw once.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, I'd call Hayden inelegant - just a biffer, a banger, a swinger. No style whatsoever. Just like Flintoff.
I don't begrudge them their runs if they score them, but I can't enjoy watching them.
You want a bit of Hussain, a bit of Aravinda, bit of Mark Waugh - that's good viewing

PY

International Coach
Richard said:
What a shame a batsman of Lara's skill (not to mention Sobers, Hanif, Hutton et al) has been beaten by such an inelegant player in such an easy situation. A Test-match in name, but hardly in nature. There can't have been too many worse attacks to play Test-cricket; plenty as bad, obviously, but not many worse.
Lara might have had a pitch as good, but he had to score his runs against an attack including Caddick and Fraser.
I hope Graeme Smith or someone beats an unworthy record in as quick time as Nathan Astle fairly recently took to beat another by an Australian, namely fastest Test double-century.
The one consolation is that Hayden at least merited the score, no matter how easy it was to get it, he wasn't dropped or missed lbw once.
I was going to say that this was a nice blunt first post, greetings.

1, Elegance isn't everything but I do agree that he doesn't appear classy as some of the players you mention.
2, You can only beat who you're put up against, he did that comprehensively.
3, Will anyone ever get such a big score against anyone who you regard as a proper team? IMO there won't be for a long time.