• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Zimbabwe in Australia Thread

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Are you seriously trying to tell me a fit McGrath wouldn't play for Australia Mr P?

If not, who would replace him?!
When did I say he was fit? I said he had an injury. Of course if he wasn't injured he would play.

If he isnt fit in time for the first test, brad williams is the likely replacement.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
McGrath needs a fitness test to see if his ankle has recovered from surgery. If he doesn't play then Bichel will replace him in Perth. Williams will be 12 th man. If McGrath is still not fit in Sydney then Hogg will play as a 2nd spinner.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McGrath needs a fitness test to see if his ankle has recovered from surgery. If he doesn't play then Bichel will replace him in Perth. Williams will be 12 th man. If McGrath is still not fit in Sydney then Hogg will play as a 2nd spinner.
I'm sure you're right but I've thought for a while now that playing two spinners in Sydney is a bit over the top. It's hardly the raging turner it used to be. Who, for example, did most of the damage for both sides last year? The pace bowlers like Caddick, Harmison, Hoggard, Lee and Bichel. Dawson took 1 for the match and MacGill had to bowl 80-odd overs to take 5 for the match. Lee took 4 wickets in the first match played there for the CUB series and bowled what I consider to have been one of the most lethal spells of bowling I've personally ever seen later on and I can tell you, a lot of the bounce he was getting was due to the pitch.

The spinners still do well in Sydney but I'd bet that's mainly due to the extra bounce it has these days rather than the spin.

Andre

International Regular
I'm with Corey here. Plus, take into account the fact that it is going to be a Test in October, it's more likely to be a greentop than a spinner-friendly deck.

2 spinners this early in the summer is needless.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Seeing as Andy Flower will be in Australia anyway & Zimbabwe are so desperately short of any experience or quality in their middle order , what do you think are the chances of him padding up for them?

PY

International Coach
iamdavid said:
Seeing as Andy Flower will be in Australia anyway & Zimbabwe are so desperately short of any experience or quality in their middle order , what do you think are the chances of him padding up for them?
Unfortunately because of a bigoted man in charge of Zimbabwe, I very much doubt Andy Flower will be making any kind of appearance for Zimbabwe. Even though he has the experience and the average that Zimbabwe sorely need. :(

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Interistingly, Cricket Australia Chairman's XI's innings included 31 with 3 4s and 3 6s off 8 balls from that man again, Martyn, batting at number 2. He went mental when playing for Yorkshire only a month and a bit ago, smashing a stupidly fast double century. Now it seems as if he can't stop!
:lol:

Slow? I'd like to score that slowly! :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

iamdavid said:
That would defeat his cause. I for one, believe in his cause and would be a bit disappointed if he were to go back on his resolve.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:

Martyn is terrible and deserves shooting - his S/R is poor (even though in ODI's it's better than the likes of Ponting!

Top_Cat

What the....? I feel like I'm in a parallel universe here. Is what I'm seeing correct; Marc and Rik not only AGREEING (:O :O :O ) but praising an Aussie (:wow: :wow: :wow: )???

I just dropped something and it fell up. How 'bout that. I think I need to go lie down. :(

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
What the....? I feel like I'm in a parallel universe here. Is what I'm seeing correct; Marc and Rik not only AGREEING (:O :O :O ) but praising an Aussie (:wow: :wow: :wow: )???

I just dropped something and it fell up. How 'bout that. I think I need to go lie down. :(
Yeah and in WCC we just agreed a trade...

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
Interistingly, Cricket Australia Chairman's XI's innings included 31 with 3 4s and 3 6s off 8 balls from that man again, Martyn, batting at number 2. He went mental when playing for Yorkshire only a month and a bit ago, smashing a stupidly fast double century. Now it seems as if he can't stop!
:lol:

And he made the 59 ball 90 odd against Bangladesh.

He is batting like he used to bat in the early 90's

One of the main reason's he was droped by the selectors was I think because he had a very high opinion of himself and his ability and it took him a while to wake up to the fact that talent can only take you so far.

Since then he has batted more responibly but he has always had some amazing shots infact the two best shots I have ever seen have come from Martyn's bat.

Craig

World Traveller
In regards to Dawson - he is up there in the worst spinners to have ever played for England. Man he gives 'crap' and 'useless' a whole new meaning.

Anyway in the tour match against WA, Craig Wishart is 93* and Streak is 45* while the useless Sean Ervine failed again.

I cant believe Gavin Ewing isnt playing. I had a look at his record an it is very good. Averaging over 50 and accurate with the ball in boths forms of the game.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Ervine was the only decent player in the first game (the friendly) that Zimbabwe played on tour and suddenly he's useless again after one innings?

I consider Ervine to be a useful batsman at the least.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ervine was the only decent player in the first game (the friendly) that Zimbabwe played on tour and suddenly he's useless again after one innings?

I consider Ervine to be a useful batsman at the least.
He's got a very poor International and even Domestic FC (in the weak Zimbabwean Logan Cup) record, mainly with the ball. He did well in the previous game but it was against a Grade team with a few State players in it. After watching Ervine in England it was obvious he's not International standard and although he will score a few runs on his day, he will have to fight for them as his technique isn't amazing. I'm really annoyed Zimbabwe didn't bring Wishart to England, he's got some style. As for not playing Ewing, I guess it's cause he's white.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Isn't Ervine though?
Yes, but he's become established in the Team even though he hasn't done anything. They still think he's an all-rounder at International level.

Eclipse

International Debutant
it's a pitty the selectors have screwed Wishart around so much because he would have to be there most talented batsman apart form the Flowers and Prehaps Vermulan.

When ever he makes runs he looks top class.