• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tremlett the next fast bowling great?

deerkick

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I've never heard the saying 'extract something from the seam' before. However, I believe it could mean the same as 'seam movement' which is when the ball bounces on the seam and then deviates from the path it was otherwise on. You can hit the seam any way that you want. if you hold the ball upright in the traditional 'seam up' position, it will likely deviate sideways. This is more likely to occur on a green pitch, ie. one with live grass on it. If you hold the ball in the 'cross seam' position, the deviation will likely be upwards (ie. more bounce), if you hit the seam. This effect is common to all pitches. However, if the pitch is harder, the bounce will be amplified, regardless of what you do - as a general rule of thumb.
Thanks for that. Explains a lot. :)

Well then theoretically shouldn't every fast bowler have perfect seam position? It seems pretty simple in theory, or am I missing something here?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
A lot of bowlers manage to hit the seam. Drop the ball on the ground, and the harder you do it the more likely you are to get some seam movement. It's the ability to hit the seam hard enough on the surface to get some movement from it; if the ball just kisses the surface and skids through, it is less likely to move off the seam.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've heard commentators say that bowlers are deliberately holding the ball cross-seam to scuff up one side of the ball for reverse swing... surely that's total nonsense? :huh: How can anyone control which side the ball lands on?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I've heard commentators say that bowlers are deliberately holding the ball cross-seam to scuff up one side of the ball for reverse swing... surely that's total nonsense? :huh: How can anyone control which side the ball lands on?
You can't, but it can help dry and scuff the ball up in general, and you just have to be confident that the damage done to the shiny side can be fixed by the shiners.

I've only really seen it done in the subcontinent that I've noted (for reverse swing purposes), so maybe the harder SG balls let that happen more easily.

Xuhaib

International Coach
A lot of bowlers manage to hit the seam. Drop the ball on the ground, and the harder you do it the more likely you are to get some seam movement. It's the ability to hit the seam hard enough on the surface to get some movement from it; if the ball just kisses the surface and skids through, it is less likely to move off the seam.
Mohammad Asif was never a hit the pitch hard bowler but when it comes to extracting seam movement have seen none better in recent times.

flibbertyjibber

Can't see Tremlett becoming a great as he won't play enough matches. He is more likely to be a case of what might have been when we look back at the end of his career.

Always a chance he will breakdown injured again as he has always struggled with injuries through his career.

Uppercut

If I learn nothing else from CW I at least now know that Chris Tremlett shaves his pubes.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I need to watch the current Chris Tremlett on a pitch with little bounce to make a judgement on his quality. He obviously has the physical attributes and ability, like Morne Morkel to capitalize on the bounce of pitches. How he adapts on pitches with not very much for the bowlers will be interesting.

Defo won't be an ATG though. He's 29 and pretty injury prone.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I need to watch the current Chris Tremlett on a pitch with little bounce to make a judgement on his quality. He obviously has the physical attributes and ability, like Morne Morkel to capitalize on the bounce of pitches. How he adapts on pitches with not very much for the bowlers will be interesting.

Defo won't be an ATG though. He's 29 and pretty injury prone.
To be fair, the MCG was a slow and turgid surface, with many balls struggling to get through (well, off the bowlers that were <200cm tall).

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Bah - closest Caddick got to the best in the world was about 20 yards when he batted against McGrath.
Nicely put. But it's right to say that Caddick, on his day, was astonishingly good. Pace, height, bounce, accuracy, movement. The problem was that he was inconsistent and, when it was not his day, which was all too often, he was cannon fodder. Not dissimilar to Jimmy Anderson in many respects.

Xuhaib

International Coach
To be fair, the MCG was a slow and turgid surface, with many balls struggling to get through (well, off the bowlers that were <200cm tall).
yeah more then Perth it was MCG which gave me the feeling we might have someone special here.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
For what it's worth, Shane Warne had this published in an article on Sep 24:

Tremlett is in a similar position. I captained Tremlett for a long time and I tried everything to get him to be more aggressive. In the nets he is the best bowler in the world, bar none. He is unplayable. But trying to get that form and aggression out in the middle was hard.

I tried everything. I was nice to him and supported him. I tried to be nasty by batting him at No 11 to make him angry. But he was just a bit soft. There was nothing nasty about him and he was a great fella but he needed to toughen up and get a bit more aggressive. His body language was awful. To play international cricket his body language had to improve and he had to learn the difference between a niggle and when there is actually something wrong with your body.

It has taken the move out of Hampshire to Surrey for the penny to drop. Everyone in English cricket has known for a while that if the penny drops for Chris, then he can be a world-beater. And I believe if he has learned his lesson then he could be the No 1 bowler in the world. Serious. He is that good. Tremlett has a great chance in those early warm-up games to take wickets and put pressure on Steve Finn.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
All this talk of Warne saying this about Tremlett so often (as again he said it several times when commentating on the 4th Test) - I thought we'd been assured by social that Warne didn't rate Tremlett at all?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nicely put. But it's right to say that Caddick, on his day, was astonishingly good. Pace, height, bounce, accuracy, movement. The problem was that he was inconsistent and, when it was not his day, which was all too often, he was cannon fodder. Not dissimilar to Jimmy Anderson in many respects.
Jimmy ain't cannon fodder though. He's been the most economical quick of 2010.