• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tremlett the next fast bowling great?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
That's a fairly long bow. It's quite acceptable and common practice to compare cricketers at the same point in their careers. There's far more test cricketers coming out of a junior system than Dirk Nannes's
Glenn McGrath had not played FC cricket until older than Finn is now.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
He was still pretty green though, and he was from the country. City cricketers seem to be fastracked far more easily than country ones, it's just merely that in amateur cricket the selectors see what's in front of them easier.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'd be a little careful looking at Tremlett's career stats, as there's a feeling that he's seriously come on since changing his county this year. Possibly something of a late developer - he always had potential, but it's taken until now to move up a gear.

Given that he's 29, you'd struggle to see him becoming a 'great' unless his figures over the next few years are astonishly good. Apart from that, there simply isn't enough evidence yet. Two good tests against this Australian lineup is no sort of sample imo. We'll have a better idea after the next English summer tests against India, and an even better one the year after that when we've also hosted SA.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Not expecting great things from him but wouldn't mind a year or two with a bowling attack of Swann, Broad, Anderson, Tremlett. Keeps up our handy tail as well.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ugh, just posting so that we can get to the next page. That picture hurts my eyes.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
We need to start making some posts quickly, scrolling past that Tremlett pic every time is starting to creep me out

Ruckus

International Captain
Ugh, just posting so that we can get to the next page. That picture hurts my eyes.
Haha I'm really ****ing sorry. As someone said before, what on Earth is with all these cricketers posing nude, and it's always done under the pretext of 'charity'...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Haha I'm really ****ing sorry. As someone said before, what on Earth is with all these cricketers posing nude, and it's always done under the pretext of 'charity'...
I thought you'd posted it again out of spite. Relieved that you didn't. :)

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ridiculous. Imagine the likes of Boon, Hughes, Miandad and Gooch doing something like this... :laugh:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I rate him very highly..but its just too early to say. We have to give him atleast a year and see how he manages his consistency

deerkick

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm a bit of a noob at this, but can someone please explain to me what it means for a bowlers to extract something from the seam? How do you notice when bowlers do this? And how exactly does seam position affect bowling in different conditions? (Subcontinent vs Greenz)

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm a bit of a noob at this, but can someone please explain to me what it means for a bowlers to extract something from the seam? How do you notice when bowlers do this? And how exactly does seam position affect bowling in different conditions? (Subcontinent vs Greenz)
I've never heard the saying 'extract something from the seam' before. However, I believe it could mean the same as 'seam movement' which is when the ball bounces on the seam and then deviates from the path it was otherwise on. You can hit the seam any way that you want. if you hold the ball upright in the traditional 'seam up' position, it will likely deviate sideways. This is more likely to occur on a green pitch, ie. one with live grass on it. If you hold the ball in the 'cross seam' position, the deviation will likely be upwards (ie. more bounce), if you hit the seam. This effect is common to all pitches. However, if the pitch is harder, the bounce will be amplified, regardless of what you do - as a general rule of thumb.