• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tremlett the next fast bowling great?

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Tremlett looks a superb bowler from what I've seen. Mental/confidence issues aside, their are plenty of strengths that Tremlett has in his bowling that will allow him to take regular wickets on the world stage.

I can't remember if it was on this forum or not but I remember somebody was laying into PEWS for overating Tremlett too much. By chance, this member was a huge Steve Finn fan and he thought that Finn was miles ahead of Tremlett as a bowler.

Oops..

Last edited:

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Finn has been dissapointing to be fair. He has a lot more pace, similar height and trajectory. Bowled too many pies this series for a man who was lauded for his accuracy when he came in. Taken 13 wickets though :O

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
God plenty of the attributes to be very good.
Yeah. He checks a lot of boxes and has bowled well in his opportunities. He now has to stay fit and do well for a few series.

I dont get the Caddick comparison though. On his day Caddick was close to the best in the world. Decent pace and swung the ball all over with bounce and could get nasty. I dont see Tremlett as the same type of bowler. Hopefully he can bring it more often than Caddick though.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Tbf to Finn he is far better than Tremlett was at his age. Obviously though at present one is the finished article while the other isn't.

I've been impressed by Tremlett and I can see him having a good run in the team. He looks like he's at his peak physically and mentally.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah. He checks a lot of boxes and has bowled well in his opportunities. He now has to stay fit and do well for a few series.

I dont get the Caddick comparison though. On his day Caddick was close to the best in the world. Decent pace and swung the ball all over with bounce and could get nasty. I dont see Tremlett as the same type of bowler. Hopefully he can bring it more often than Caddick though.
Bah - closest Caddick got to the best in the world was about 20 yards when he batted against McGrath.

You're right about Tremlett though: bowling against India this summer on our slower wickets will tell us a fair bit about him. I do think that he looks like being a better opening partner for Anderson than Broad, who will be perfectly fine as our third seamer. If so, that means we'll be more consistently threatening with the new ball than we've been for ages, which isn't to be sniffed at.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think so. Gets injured too often and bowls fractionally too short for his home conditions. Excellent bowler, I expect he'll finish averaging around 30.
Indeed. He bossed around Australia a couple times, and Australia batted absolutely terribly. People need to stop thinking that performing superbly with the ball against Australia is the feat that it once was.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It's still no Bangladesh though, not even the West Indies or New Zealand
Of course - but I think people are giving his performance a status that would not be granted to a similar performance against Pakistan, for example.

Spark

Global Moderator
Before I begin to think of him as a potential great I want to see how he does when he isn't being force-fed wickets for breakfast lunch and dinner, to be frank.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've always been a massive, massive fan of the guy and I'll blow my own trumpet by saying I had the utmost faith in him when others didn't, but I do think this thread is stretching it a little bit. I've always felt he had it in him to be one of the best bowlers in the world, in the same way that Stuart Clark was at his peak (very similar bowlers IMO), but I don't think he'll ever be a great of the game.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dunno how relevant that is though. Bowlers take some pretty funky career paths.
Yeah I'd also like to point out that my seven year old cousin is a much better bowler than James Anderson was when he was seven - it doesn't mean I'm over-rating Anderson if I say he's the better bowler now, though.

At no point did I make long-term predictions about Finn; I just said before the series that, at this point in time, I felt that Tremlett was the much better bowler and that England would serve themselves well by picking him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To be fair no one in state cricket rated Clark as being as good as he was.
Yeah, much as no-one in county cricket really rates Tremlett as highly as his Test effectiveness so far has indicated. I get the feeling they bowl just that little bit too short for domestic cricket for a couple of reasons - firstly because there's more movement on pitches domestically and secondly because batsmen aren't good enough to actually get bat on it. Reckon they both get a lot of plays-and-misses domestically that are edges in Tests, because that's their MO.

In no way am I saying that Tremlett will be a great of the game; I do think he's a bit better than a county cricket average of 27 or so suggests though.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Yeah I'd also like to point out that my seven year old cousin is a much better bowler than James Anderson was when he was seven - it doesn't mean I'm over-rating Anderson if I say he's the better bowler now, though.

At no point did I make long-term predictions about Finn; I just said before the series that, at this point in time, I felt that Tremlett was the much better bowler and that England would serve themselves well by picking him.
That's a fairly long bow. It's quite acceptable and common practice to compare cricketers at the same point in their careers. There's far more test cricketers coming out of a junior system than Dirk Nannes's

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Yeah, much as no-one in county cricket really rates Tremlett as highly as his Test effectiveness so far has indicated. I get the feeling they bowl just that little bit too short for domestic cricket for a couple of reasons - firstly because there's more movement on pitches domestically and secondly because batsmen aren't good enough to actually get bat on it. Reckon they both get a lot of plays-and-misses domestically that are edges in Tests, because that's their MO.

In no way am I saying that Tremlett will be a great of the game; I do think he's a bit better than a county cricket average of 27 or so suggests though.
He has that Ambrose length that beats the bat more often than he gets nicks. I think you're right though, he's probably better than a 27 average bowler, but a great ? I think he could be. He's never taken a First Class 10 for though, if that counts for much. Just a curiosity