• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Luck in Cricket

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So India have now won only one toss out of their last fifteen Test matches. Does anyone know of a similar streak in history of Test cricket? I think at one point they were 0 for 10 or 12.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's a pretty amazing run tbh. Have they all been tests where Dhoni has been skipper?

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
That's a pretty amazing run tbh. Have they all been tests where Dhoni has been skipper?
No. I believe Sehwag had captained the first test in Bangladesh.

IIRC the record was 9 consecutive tosses lost for Dhoni.

SL (1)
Bang (1)
SA (2)
SL (3)
Aus (2)

Then we finally won 1 against NZ. Since that last SL test in 09 MSD has lost 13/14 tosses. That is honestly Ridiculous lol

I don't like to whine about lost tosses too much (yeah you get frustrated but I wouldn't blame all losses on losing them) but at times you really wanna win a few (especially when you tour abroad). Partly why I rate our win against SA and SL earlier this year more than usual. We were really on the wrong side of the situations and came back to win em.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not winning tosses should be enough to get rid of Dhoni as captain and give it to Kohli.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Gambhir had good luck with the tosses in the newzeland ODI series.

Can we send him for tosses instead?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't think India would have won that last game but I wouldn't have backed them to lose it if the toss went differently - the conditions were night and day.

Similar thing might happen again this test match actually.

All part of cricket of course, but it's pretty interesting how 2-0 one way could potentially be 2-0 the other way based on just the toss.

That's why I really didn't mind the loss last game. No preparation, worst toss to lose, not on home soil, a potentially all time bowler bowling on a helpful track....if Steyn didn't blitz through any lineup with that much going for him, I'd have to reconsider his status.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Maybe my perception is a bit colored right now, but I think I brought this up way back when some people were predictably complaining about some Indian pitch: I think the visiting captain should always decide to bat or bowl. That means the track can't be "designed", and it gives a little more chance to the visitors.

Just a thought.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I Agree.

India would not have lost the last match had they not lost the toss.

The toss was massive in that match.

We'll have to wait and see but don't think it will matter that much in this match.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
We'll have to wait and see but don't think it will matter that much in this match.
And now i see the pitch report -

And Damn!!!! Just as feared the sun is out today and the wind is blowing from the north east.

Shaun Pollock reckoned that the ball won't swing as much today .And after the first hour today (in which India will be batting in any case) it will be good batting conditions.

Nothing seems to be working for India this series in terms of luck.

Bright Sunshine!! FFS!!!!!:@

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In 1934 the Lancashire skipper won 27 tosses out of 30 over the season - might explain why its the last time we won the bloody Championship :(

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
You were well and truly owned.

The injured Zaheer was a far bigger loss then the toss.
Don't really agree with that.

The difference between the conditions in the first day and the second day,third day was too big.

It's not as if even under a pressure of a big score SA got us out cheaply at all in the second innings.
If SA would have batted first ,even suppose if they had reached the par score of 230 on that first day pitch or more, and not had a collapse scoring 130. Then also did they have time to bowl us out twice and also complete one of their innings on a non 1st day pitch ,which became very flat?
It wasn't as if the wicket was assisting spinners later on to even come close to evening it out.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
And now i see the pitch report -

And Damn!!!! Just as feared the sun is out today and the wind is blowing from the north east.

Shaun Pollock reckoned that the ball won't swing as much today .And after the first hour today (in which India will be batting in any case) it will be good batting conditions.

Nothing seems to be working for India this series in terms of luck.

Bright Sunshine!! FFS!!!!!:@
Shaun Pollock as it turned out was not correct at all.

shankar

International Debutant
Shaun Pollock as it turned out was not correct at all.
He was spot-on. The ball didn't swing as much as on the first day. Neither was there as much seam movement as the first day. But the wicket drying out meant it got quicker which helped the bowlers when they got it right.