• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

new captain? young players? a team of allrounders?

Joao

U19 12th Man
Unless the following players (or similar) are all amongst your all-rounder stocks, I don't think you should consider playing a team full of them.

Mankad
Watto (I'm a massive fanboy)
Kallis
Sobers
Miller
Gilchrist
Imran
Botham
Hadlee
Benaud
Akram

Even so, it's not like Watto, Kallis, Mankad outside SC and probably even Sobers are going to get a bowl so Just pick the 4 best batsman.

That said, Sobers, Kallis and Watto obviously would be picked for batting alone :ph34r:

Mike5181

International Captain
Unless the following players (or similar) are all amongst your all-rounder stocks, I don't think you should consider playing a team full of them.

Mankad
Kallis
Sobers
Miller
Gilchrist
Imran
Botham
Hadlee
Benaud
Akram

Even so, it's not like Watto, Kallis, Mankad outside SC and probably even Sobers are going to get a bowl so Just pick the 4 best batsman.

That said, Sobers, Kallis and Watto obviously would be picked for batting alone :ph34r:
Pollock, Cairns :dry:

smash84

The Tiger King

Mankad
Kallis
Sobers
Miller
Gilchrist
Imran
Botham
Hadlee
Benaud
Akram

This is a mighty strong team, especially the bowling. Instead of Benaud or Akram you may put in Shane Warne and the team is almost unbeatable.

Joao

U19 12th Man
Pollock, Cairns :dry:
To be fair, it was off the top of my head and in all honesty, I probably wouldn't put those two in the 11 anyway.

Rate Pollock a better bowler than Botham but with Miller, Imran, Hadlee and Wasim I probably wouldn't have him bowling enough to make up for Botham's superior batting.

Carins is not going to bowl too many overs in that side and he is not, IMO, a better bat than any of the top 7.

Joao

U19 12th Man
This is a mighty strong team, especially the bowling. Instead of Benaud or Akram you may put in Shane Warne and the team is almost unbeatable.
Nah can't do that, need a batting average over 20 with at least one test ton, sorry Warnie.

Just tell the home curator to prepare green tops and watch the quickies roll 'em in my opinion. Can afford to be 5 down too with that "tail" once in a while.

smash84

The Tiger King
Nah can't do that, need a batting average over 20 with at least one test ton, sorry Warnie.

Just tell the home curator to prepare green tops and watch the quickies roll 'em in my opinion. Can afford to be 5 down too with that "tail" once in a while.
On a green top this team would be awesome.

DingDong

State Captain
capital observation old chap.....except you cant count. its obviously 3........

thanks PEWS for a measured response. im amazed at the toffee nosed smart asses here on this thread. there are dead****s on every forum, but this thread seems to have attracted your finest!

dont they realise a forum is for discussion? im not saying the best team is one of all rounders. but i believe its an interesting concept, worthy of discussion, to have 10 or 11 bowling choices, and ten or 11 batsmen.

shane watson is a great example of what an allrounder can achieve. i think the idea deserves discussion, not a thread for dead****s to grandstand.
it is certainly worthy of discussion and i'm glad u posted this. i think it's a good side but u should also have james hopes somewhere in that squad.

bagapath

International Captain
all time allrounders xi

mankad
rhodes
faulkner
kallis
flower (wk)
sobers
miller
imran
botham
kapil
flintoff

all batsmen average over 30 and all bowlers under 35 (with two fast bowlers averaging under 23 and two fast medium bowlers under 30. and one leg spinner and a left arm orthodox spinner averaging 26). three middle order bats average over 50. this team is good enough to post 400+ totals and also get 20 wickets on any surface.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
all time allrounders xi

mankad
rhodes
faulkner
kallis
flower (wk)
sobers
miller
imran
botham
kapil
flintoff

all batsmen average over 30 and all bowlers under 35 (with two fast bowlers averaging under 23 and two fast medium bowlers under 30. and one leg spinner and a left arm orthodox spinner averaging 26). three middle order bats average over 50. this team is good enough to post 400+ totals and also get 20 wickets on any surface.
Pollock or Hadlee would be better fits than Flintoff IMO. The bowling would be so strong with them.

smash84

The Tiger King
all time allrounders xi

mankad
rhodes
faulkner
kallis
flower (wk)
sobers
miller
imran
botham
kapil
flintoff

In fact Hadlee and Pollock have a real good case for being in this XI. They were better bowlers than Kapil and Flintoff and marginally worse bats.

bagapath

International Captain
In fact Hadlee and Pollock have a real good case for being in this XI. They were better bowlers than Kapil and Flintoff and marginally worse bats.
may be pollock. but hadlee averaged only 27 with the bat. if you want to go down that route then you may prefer benaud for mankad and that would mess up the batting order. so no hadlee. may be pollock for flintoff is acceptable.

Spark

Global Moderator
godwin's law cw version: as a cw thread grows longer, the probability of an "______ all time XI side" discussion approaches 1

:ph34r:

smash84

The Tiger King
may be pollock. but hadlee averaged only 27 with the bat. if you want to go down that route then you may prefer benaud for mankad and that would mess up the batting order. so no hadlee. may be pollock for flintoff is acceptable.
Bur Hadlee's bowling is outstanding. Arguably the finest fast bowler ever. Much much better than Kapil or Flintoff. What he loses in batting he more than makes up for it in the bowling.

godwin's law cw version: as a cw thread grows longer, the probability of an "______ all time XI side" discussion approaches 1

:ph34r:
:laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bur Hadlee's bowling is outstanding. Arguably the finest fast bowler ever. Much much better than Kapil or Flintoff. What he loses in batting he more than makes up for it in the bowling.
Well if you compared McGrath to Flintoff you could say the same thing.

I think bagapath's point isn't so much that he doesn't think Hadlee would improve the side, but that he doesn't really consider him an allrounder. I'd personally disagree with that assessment but how much his bowling makes up for his batting isn't really the point.

smash84

The Tiger King
Well if you compared McGrath to Flintoff you could say the same thing.

I think bagapath's point isn't so much that he doesn't think Hadlee would improve the side, but that he doesn't really consider him an allrounder. I'd personally disagree with that assessment but how much his bowling makes up for his batting isn't really the point.
McGrath is only an all rounder if you keep 5 as the cut off average. 27 is a decent enough batting average to be included in the list of allrounders.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
McGrath is only an all rounder if you keep 5 as the cut off average. 27 is a decent enough batting average to be included in the list of allrounders.
Yeah I agree, and that's what you should be telling bagapath. Whether or not his bowling is good enough to make up for his poor batting wasn't the point.

smash84

The Tiger King
So bagapath your cutoff is an average of 30???