• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Warne was captain after Waugh...

If Warne had become captain after Waugh he would be...

• Total voters

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
what would have happened?

So if Australia had made Warne captain after Waugh instead of Ponting what would the situation have been?

0RI0N

State 12th Man
...and Botham and Ian Chappell would be best friends and bbm'ing and myface'ing each other sweet nothings.
¤
Warne as captain would never ever happen, not even if Warne tried to inception all the selectors at the time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's something that was clearly a prospect at one time because Warne was the VC, wasn't he?

Hard to know what would have happened had he got the gig, really. One suspects he always had more affinity for field positions than Ponting but that he'd probably have been unable to keep his off-field larrakinishness under sufficient control. Equally think he'd have conducted himself with more on-field decorum than the incumbent, whose on-field conduct has, several times now, been well below that which one would expact of the Aussie captain. Warne as a bowler was always more of a charmer than a bullier of officialdom.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
His captaincy wouldn't have been as over-rated as it is.

edit: when did Ponting take the ODI reigns from Waugh?

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Warne stuffed up too many times when the captaincy was on the line, or was injured like in 1999. No way was Warne getting the gig then having had almost the entire summer of 1998/99 off, did well in the one dayers but then could barely land them in the WI and was dropped, hardly in line for the captaincy after that, then missed the whole 2000/01 summer. It had to go to someone who was going to stay on the park. Even if he got the job in 2001/02 for the odi's there was still the drug ban coming up.....just too many factors working against him, most of which were his own fault. No doubt wouldve made a decent captain.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He'd have been ****ed when caught doing a banned diuretic, and Australian cricket would have looked worse.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Warne would have been ODI skipper though in the World Cup, which is what I was referring to. Would have been a huge story. Australia may have still won anyway, but Ponting got them to rally very well in that World Cup all things being considered. Would have been difficult to do it as Vice Captain.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reckon he would've alienated a number of players, tbh. Players always seem to be saying that Ponting is someone they can get behind and a good leader of men; I reckon that with his more confrontational style, Shane would've been a bit more divisive in the dressng room.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Exactly!

His captaincy is the biggest myth in cricket. Sooo, so overrated.
I honestly haven't watched enough games he's captained to really have an opinion but I've always got the impression that his reputation has been properly enhanced by not captaining at the top level, and based off very little.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Reckon he would've alienated a number of players, tbh. Players always seem to be saying that Ponting is someone they can get behind and a good leader of men; I reckon that with his more confrontational style, Shane would've been a bit more divisive in the dressng room.
Fair point, Chris Tremlett is one player who Warne, for whatever reason, didn't get the best out of under his captaincy.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm, have any Aussies come out and said they disliked playing with him (or something similar)?