• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current Test Fast Bowling Stocks-- Your Country

Howe_zat

Audio File
Okay, this is how I reckon the selectors see the current pecking order

Anderson
Broad
Tremlett
Onions
Finn
Bresnan
Shazhad
Harmison
Plunkett
Mahmood
Hmm, obviously neither of us can read the selector's minds but I doubt Mahmood and especially Harmison are still in the running ahead of Woakes, Davies or Harris.

I seriously doubt Onions will be able to walk back into the squad. He's bound to spend at least the next season in county cricket and by the time he gets back the team may have moved on without him. Arguably it already has.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Fair call on Wagner. Who do you think is the best long-format seamer in the country?
In the long format, its gotta be Marto. Southee also is probably generally going to be more likely to get you wickets than Arnel as well, though he'd also go for more runs.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
In the long format, its gotta be Marto. Southee also is probably generally going to be more likely to get you wickets than Arnel as well, though he'd also go for more runs.
Yeah, Southee is more likely to pull off a great spell if the conditions/his temperament suit. Arnel I think has a better all-round bowling game; Stuart Clark-like (not a current Clark).

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger
McKay
Cameron
George
Copeland
Hastings

or how the selectors see it.

Overall I'm confident that all are test standard, problem is none of them (except for Johnson, who's too inconsistent) are really match-winners or greats.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Gemaal Hussain ftw :ph34r:
Never seen the boy bowl, but if he can turn out the kind of stats at Taunton he did last year (huge if, admittedly) he could come into contention.

His new Zummerzet mucker Kirby hasn't been mentioned either yet. Knocking on a little, but the selectors do like height and was in the "A" team as recently as last season.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd have:

Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Bollinger
Hilfenhaus
Clark
Cameron
Copeland (mostly on figures)
George
McKay

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Surprised at the lack of Starc love amongst the crims. Boy looked the goods in the ODI I saw him play v SL. Currently broken as I understand it, but looked a cut above George or McKay at least.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Surprised at the lack of Starc love amongst the crims. Boy looked the goods in the ODI I saw him play v SL. Currently broken as I understand it, but looked a cut above George or McKay at least.
Hasn't played much First Class stuff and has been fairly average when he has played.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hmm. Fair dos then I suppose. I've been wrong before; Doherty impressed me in the same game. :ph34r:
Haha, Starc's a lot different. He's just distinctly unproven; Doherty had proven to be rubbish for an extended period and then had a very small period of apparent improvement. It wouldn't surprise me much at all if Starc found his way onto that list rather quickly; he's got all the tools. He just hasn't done anything yet.

One stumbling block will be making the NSW team, though. Many are picking Mark Cameron and/or Steven O'Keefe in their Australian Test teams but neither make the NSW team at the moment as their paths are blocked by Bollinger, Copeland, Clark and Hauritz (I believe O'Keefe played the most recent Shield game as a batting allrounder, but that's beside the point). Starc would be behind all of them and Cameron as well.

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
1) Zaheer Khan
2) Ishant Sharma
3) Shantakumaran Sreesanth
4) Munaf Patel
5) Praveen Kumar
6) Rudra Pratap Singh
7) Irfan Pathan
8) Lakshmipathy Balaji
9) Abhimanyu Mithun
10)Abu Nechim Ahmed

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, obviously neither of us can read the selector's minds but I doubt Mahmood and especially Harmison are still in the running ahead of Woakes, Davies or Harris.

I seriously doubt Onions will be able to walk back into the squad. He's bound to spend at least the next season in county cricket and by the time he gets back the team may have moved on without him. Arguably it already has.
Move on without him? He is still 28, he's got a few good years left in him if he can reproduce his Edgbaston 09 form. You're right in that he'll need another half a season or so in county cricket to prove his worth but Tremlett has shown that you can still get back in the reckoning after injury if you've got the talent and work rate. And Onions' injury wasn't as bad as Tremlett's. I thought Onions looked a great bowler, north-east bias aside, so hope to see him playing again soon.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Move on without him? He is still 28, he's got a few good years left in him if he can reproduce his Edgbaston 09 form. You're right in that he'll need another half a season or so in county cricket to prove his worth but Tremlett has shown that you can still get back in the reckoning after injury if you've got the talent and work rate. And Onions' injury wasn't as bad as Tremlett's. I thought Onions looked a great bowler, north-east bias aside, so hope to see him playing again soon.
He was, imo, desperately unlucky to be dropped for the final test in SA. 'Great's overstating it, but I do think he's good. It's unfortunate for him that he's been leapfrogged by the guys we've seen in this series, but I agree that he should be close to the frame again once he's fit & firing, depending on form & fitness of the guys in the current squad.

smash84

The Tiger King
Nobody knows much about the top 10 Pakistan fast bowlers at the moment. No one is a certainty in the team..........what crap....maybe Faisla or Xuhaib know

Xuhaib

International Coach
Nobody knows much about the top 10 Pakistan fast bowlers at the moment. No one is a certainty in the team..........what crap....maybe Faisla or Xuhaib know
there are a lot of guys who are averaging low 20's in the domestic circut but that may be due to low batting standards a lot of unproven material atm though good thing is bowlers like Rana,Rao,Arafat are not topping the domestic bowling charts so could mean there are better bowling talents then these guys.

smash84

The Tiger King
there are a lot of guys who are averaging low 20's in the domestic circut but that may be due to low batting standards a lot of unproven material atm though good thing is bowlers like Rana,Rao,Arafat are not topping the domestic bowling charts so could mean there are better bowling talents then these guys.
lol....there is hope indeed

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's hard to say with a lot of our fellas as a lot are unproven really, even at FC level, as Cribb said. Of those in and around the national set up, it's best to describe them as mercurial IMO. They can each bowl well, but don't seem to string it together for long periods.

Harking a long way back, I remember when Merv had his breakthrough match in Perth vs the Windies in 88-89. Richie was commentating and, as he often does, made a salient point. WTTE of this being the standard he had set for himself as a bowler and he now had to bowl to that standard consistently. He said that doesn't mean he'll get those figures, but that is now the level he is expected to bowl at.

Too many of our blokes just don't do that enough IMO.

Last edited: