• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current Test Fast Bowling Stocks-- Your Country

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
New Zealand, using a mix of current form, career form, ability, talent, potential and general hard-workedness at both domestic and international level.

1. Kyle Mills
2. Brent Arnel
3. Tim Southee
4. Michael Mason
5. Andy McKay
6. Neil Wagner
7. Hamish Bennett
8. Trent Boult
9. Chris Martin
10. Daryl Tuffey

Kyle Mills at one because of those playing he has a good all round record when you consider the 3 formats. He seems to have lost it now but comparing him to Franklin and Tuffey who have both come back from injury and have looked below par, I think Mills will be able to regain his spark and return to how he was performing before. That's IMHO of course, and I can see how he might just be cooked after the injury lay off.
Brent Arnel I think is the best long-format seamer in our game at the moment.
Tim Southee - this is pretty self explanatory. 'To be continued' probably the best term.
Mason is the oldest of the lot and has a very good domestic career, an alright ODI one and I think he's hard done by not to have played more than 1 Test. I'd pick him for any of the teams atm.
Andy McKay could become a ODI and T20I mainstay. Jury still out on Test ability but I thought he bowled well.
Neil Wagner - waiting for him to qualify. If I were to pick the 10 best right now and ignore all the other factors, he'd be #1.
Hamish Bennett and Trent Boult almost interchangeable but Bennett has played more. I think Boult may end up having a better international career but I genuinely hope that it's only marginal and they both become a long term fixture in a few years time.
Chris Martin is Chris Martin. As the Test merry-go-round turns fuelled by injuries and ill-form he manages to stay on and be not terrible.
Tuffey...was tempted to say Aldridge for his domestic record or Andre Adams or quite a few seamers, but he was pretty darn good as a Test bowler for a bit there and despite his current averageness I do hold hope that he can salvage something before being put out on the scrap heap. Has less chance than Mills though.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
New Zealand, using a mix of current form, career form, ability, talent, potential and general hard-workedness at both domestic and international level.

1. Kyle Mills
2. Brent Arnel
3. Tim Southee
4. Michael Mason
5. Andy McKay
6. Neil Wagner
7. Hamish Bennett
8. Trent Boult
9. Chris Martin
10. Daryl Tuffey

Kyle Mills at one because of those playing he has a good all round record when you consider the 3 formats. He seems to have lost it now but comparing him to Franklin and Tuffey who have both come back from injury and have looked below par, I think Mills will be able to regain his spark and return to how he was performing before. That's IMHO of course, and I can see how he might just be cooked after the injury lay off.
Tim Southee - this is pretty self explanatory. 'To be continued' probably the best term.
Mason is the oldest of the lot and has a very good domestic career, an alright ODI one and I think he's hard done by not to have played more than 1 Test. I'd pick him for any of the teams atm.
Andy McKay could become a ODI and T20I mainstay. Jury still out on Test ability but I thought he bowled well.
Neil Wagner - waiting for him to qualify. If I were to pick the 10 best right now and ignore all the other factors, he'd be #1.
Hamish Bennett and Trent Boult almost interchangeable but Bennett has played more. I think Boult may end up having a better international career but I genuinely hope that it's only marginal and they both become a long term fixture in a few years time.
Chris Martin is Chris Martin. As the Test merry-go-round turns fuelled by injuries and ill-form he manages to stay on and be not terrible.
Tuffey...was tempted to say Aldridge for his domestic record or Andre Adams or quite a few seamers, but he was pretty darn good as a Test bowler for a bit there and despite his current averageness I do hold hope that he can salvage something before being put out on the scrap heap. Has less chance than Mills though.
That's an awfully big statement given that since he's arrived in New Zealand back in 08/09, he's basically had 3 good FC games at the start of this season and not a lot else. Still far from convinced, personally. And Arnel is not the best long format seamer in the country.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

1. Kyle Mills
2. Brent Arnel
3. Tim Southee
4. Michael Mason
5. Andy McKay
6. Neil Wagner
7. Hamish Bennett
8. Trent Boult
9. Chris Martin
10. Daryl Tuffey

Reckon martin should be top of the heap. Looked the goods in india. I could quibble`about some of the other rankings - but on the whole they are ok.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Zaheer
2. Praveen
3. Vinay Kumar
4. Munaf Patel
5. Ishant Sharma
6. Pankaj Singh
7. Sreesanth
8. Mithun
9. Umesh Yadav
10. Kulkarni (probably)

Sorry state of affairs compared to our awesome batting depth. Ah well, what ya gonna do.
Mithun is fair enough. I don't rate him, but understand how people can rate him. But Umesh Yadav has done **** all in FC cricket.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Australia is tough really at the moment

1 M Johnson
2 R Harris
3 D Bollinger
4 P Siddle
5 C McKay
6 M Cameron
7 B Hilfenhaus
8 T Copeland
9 S Watson
10 J Hastings

Copeland is difficult to rate as I've not seen him bowl too much in first class cricket - I couldn't find any room for George in my 10. Stu Clark and even Damian Wright were not really considered as I doubt we go for a howler with their experience. McKay probably looks a bit too high but I think he is somewhat underrated.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Watson at ninth best Test fast bowler in Australia?
Yes I think so excluding the players like Clark who I don't think the selectors would turn to. Obviously George, Pattinson, Starc, Hazlewood have he potential but at this stage I couldnt place any of them ahead of him. Apart from George the only other bowler I considered was Chris Swan:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mithun is fair enough. I don't rate him, but understand how people can rate him. But Umesh Yadav has done **** all in FC cricket.
56 wickets at 25.67 is pretty impressive. Especially since he only picked up the game at 19 years old!

I see your point though. Can see an argument for Kulkarni to be ahead of him.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
56 wickets at 25.67 is pretty impressive. Especially since he only picked up the game at 19 years old!

I see your point though. Can see an argument for Kulkarni to be ahead of him.
I meant mainly that he has played most of his cricket in the Plate League of the Ranji Trophy and has been poor over the past two seasons.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, fair enough.

Do you reckon the selectors don't pay enough attention to whether the wickets are taken in Super League or Plate League?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, fair enough.

Do you reckon the selectors don't pay enough attention to whether the wickets are taken in Super League or Plate League?
Not nearly in the know enough to comment, but I'd suggest so. I'd suggest they took insufficient notice of the fact that Sree could not take Plate League wickets.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Top 10 fast bowlers from your country. Rank them however you want, be it like boxing rankings (on achievement), on the current pecking order at International level or on how good you think they are.

There isnt anything scientific about this. Just to see if people share similar ideas and see how rich the fast bowling seam is for each country.

Only rule is that they must still be playing-- so if you want to include Tait and Harmison then you can.

My Current Christmas 2010 England Quicks

1. Anderson
2. Broad
3. Tremlett
4. Onions
5. Harmison
6. Finn
7. Bresnan
8. Shahzad
9. Sidebottom
10. Hoggard
11. Chapple (I just thought he deserved to be on the list even though old and never played Test cricket)

Outsiders- Khan, Pattinson, Saj, Plunkett, Ali

The hard part is ranking the young players that are doing well at FC level but are not quite at Test level eg Woakes, Dernbach, Chambers, and Harris
Looking at how we've been able to successfully introduce Finn, Tremlett and Bresnan this year, the thought has struck me that we're potentially looking at the best batch of English quicks since the late 1970's. I use the word 'potentially' - we're not there yet, and we're looking at a very small sample of matches for some of them. And I recognise that we're probably not quite at the level of the 2004/05 attack just yet. But if these guys come on the way they should, these are potentially exciting times for English supporters.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
This is going to be hard as some of the fast bowlers picked by West Indian selectors wouldn't be anywhere near my top 10 and others are there on talent rather than FC performance. I have also disregarded the pure lack of fitness amongst our fast bowlers that stops at least half of this list from playing most of the time.

1) Kemar Roach
2) Fidel Edwards
3) Jerome Taylor
4) Andre Russell
5) Nelon Pascal
6) Tino Best
7) Ravi Rampaul
8) Gavin Tonge
9) Shannon Gabriel
10) Kevin McLean

Outsiders that I like: Jason Holder, Javon Searles, Dwayne Bravo is obviously a decent medium pacer, Darren Sammy bless him, Delorn Johnson is a talented left armer as well.

I refuse to rank Lionel Baker because he is so ordinary and his selection in the first place was a travesty.

Dissector

International Debutant
Actually jokes aside, I don't think the depth of Indian pace bowlers is that bad compared to the rest. Aside from England I think most countries have very little depth. For example is the 10th best bowler in South Africa really a lot better than ,say, RP Singh. I am pretty skeptical. India's problem is that there isn't much of a difference between our no.2 and no. 10 bowlers rather than a lack of depth.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
That's an awfully big statement given that since he's arrived in New Zealand back in 08/09, he's basically had 3 good FC games at the start of this season and not a lot else. Still far from convinced, personally. And Arnel is not the best long format seamer in the country.
Fair call on Wagner. Who do you think is the best long-format seamer in the country?

mudrunner

Cricket Spectator
Looking at how we've been able to successfully introduce Finn, Tremlett and Bresnan this year, the thought has struck me that we're potentially looking at the best batch of English quicks since the late 1970's. I use the word 'potentially' - we're not there yet, and we're looking at a very small sample of matches for some of them. And I recognise that we're probably not quite at the level of the 2004/05 attack just yet. But if these guys come on the way they should, these are potentially exciting times for English supporters.
grudgingly.....yes the poms finally got some nuts. previous teams were more about your class in society than your talent. the large south african contingent has put paid to that scam....we all know they are white trash..:laugh:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Okay, this is how I reckon the selectors see the current pecking order

Anderson
Broad
Tremlett
Onions
Finn
Bresnan
Shazhad
Harmison
Plunkett