• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has the result of a cricket match ever made you cry ? If yes, which one ?

Himannv

International Coach
Haven't ever cried about a cricket game but was left shellshocked after one game. World Cup 99 Semi Finals between Australia and South Africa. It took me a while to realize what happened, then disbelief set in, after that ranted about it for the rest of the night. Crazy ending and didn't expect it at all. Was so convinced that it would be a win that I was even cheering for a few seconds before realizing what happened.

Blaze 18

Banned
Haven't ever cried about a cricket game but was left shellshocked after one game. World Cup 99 Semi Finals between Australia and South Africa. It took me a while to realize what happened, then disbelief set in, after that ranted about it for the rest of the night. Crazy ending and didn't expect it at all. Was so convinced that it would be a win that I was even cheering for a few seconds before realizing what happened.
That match was crazy!

archie mac

International Coach
Botham in 1981, when he destroyed Aust. along with Bob Willis, and cost my hero Kim Hughes his chance to cement the captaincy.

I was 14:)

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah but I did feel physically sick watching Australia seemingly closing in on victory at Edgbaston in 2005

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I cried with crazy laughter seeing South Africa screw up that semi final in 99, and my sides hurt with laughter at their pathetic counting display in the 03 WC vs SL, my god that hurt my insides!!!

Hit Wicket

School Boy/Girl Captain
Just the one - India vs. Pakistan test at Bangalore in '87.

There have been more close and heartbreaking defeats after that, but I guess as you grow older you realize more and more that it's just a game and tears are meant for sadder occasions in life than losing a cricket match you are not even playing in.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes this match.

It was heart crushing.. Levelled 1-1, ruined Saeed Anwar's century..and also a controversial finish ensured I could not accept it cleanly. I was about 10-11 then. Since then I have matured :p

TumTum

Banned
I've been disappointed over some matches, but at worst I was frustrated the whole day. Seriously who cries just because of a game? :laugh:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I've been disappointed over some matches, but at worst I was frustrated the whole day. Seriously who cries just because of a game? :laugh:
Yeah too right mate, its just crazy. People need some perspective. After I almost lost my little boy Tom to a near fatal liver disease ( he was miraculously saved with 3 hours to live on xmas eve 3 years ago) I'll never be upset over any cricket match result again.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Never cried of course. But that 99 WC semi-final was a shocker. I screamed and broke something I was holding in my hand when that last run out happened. Took so much time to sink in. I strongly felt SA deserved to win 99 WC. They were at the top of their game and played like machines. Since then SA have never been the same.

Come to think of it, SA gives a heart breaking performance in every world tournament :laugh:

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
Well, there are people who cry while watching movies, after flunking an exam etc. :dry:

I would agree that shedding tears over a game of cricket is perhaps childish, but I was all of eleven years old in 2003. That final loss hurt me more than anything in life ever had until that point. In any case, I don't think it is something to be ashamed of; being able to feel emotions just proves that we are human.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I felt kind of empty during/after Broad's spell. Also felt kind of empty after Day 4 Adelaide. Other than that, not a lot other than Edgbaston and the like.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I was angry and upset... when the kiwi team lost in the semis to Pakistan in the 1992 WC, I got angry for believing em in... and upset when I saw how upset they were form the loss as well..

angad

U19 12th Man
I started feeling dead inside when Sachin was in poor form, (way Sanjay Manjrekar used to comment on him) was a torture. :@

and yes WC 1999 Semi, Lance Klusener was my fav. cricketer. :)

Xuhaib

International Coach
I long for the days when a cricket result use to be a reason for tearing up, probably haven't cried for a cricket game in the past 10 years.