• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alphabetical Name Draft

weeman27bob

International Regular
Firstly, apologies if I'm not allowed to do this for whatever reason.

And secondly, this is very much a case of "Long time lurker, few times poster".

Anyhow, I was reading through some draft threads today, and was struck by inspiration. "An alphabetical draft thread" I though, what a fantastic idea. A fair bit of planning and a trusty copy of my 2005 Wisden, and I came up with this following structure:

Each drafter (?) must pick someone from each two letter round.

For example, the letters in the first round may well be: M and F and so cricketers whose surnames start with those letters are picked. The only exception to this would be for the letters: I,U,Z,O,Q,Y and X , which unsurprisingly have rather few players in. As such, they'll form two three letter rounds of I,U,Z and O,QY ( As far as I'm aware there are no X's ever.) S, by virtue of having the most, will be a single letter round.. Therefore with 1 1-letter round, 9 2-letter rounds and 2 3-letter rounds we'll end up with 12

At the end, we'll have some kind of vote to see who has managed to assemble the best team.

Rules

Obviously there might be some confusion with surnames. Players like Imran Khan will come under the letter K, rather than whatever their last name might be. Double-barreled surnames will go off the first letter of the first, so Inzamam-ul-Haq will come under U

Don't pick after 12 hours? The next person in the draftlist gets to pick and if you miss the next 12, then there's no more waiting.

I hope that all makes sense.

Ideally I suppose I'm looking for fifteen or so, so get your name down if you're interested.

Blaze 18

Banned
Count me in. I am not sure if I will be able to come online every twelve hours though, that might be a problem.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Count me in. I am not sure if I will be able to come online every twelve hours though, that might be a problem.
12 hours just tends to be the standard time I see.

24 hours would be fine by me if that's what people would prefer.

weeman27bob

International Regular
I make that:

weeman27bob
Blaze 18
Cevno
Flyonthewall
Joao
Howe_zat
Blakus
MrIncredible
Michaelf7777777
kingkallis
weldone

So 11 so far.

weeman27bob

International Regular
weeman27bob
Blaze 18
Cevno
Flyonthewall
Joao
Howe_zat
Blakus
MrIncredible
Michaelf7777777
kingkallis
weldone
honestbharani
Himannv

That's 13.

I'd have thought 15 would be a sensible number, but I'd be quite happy to go with what I've got now.

Unless anyone has any objections, I think the "signing up" process will end pretty much 24 hours after it started?

Howe_zat

Audio File
weeman27bob

That's 13.

I'd have thought 15 would be a sensible number, but I'd be quite happy to go with what I've got now.

Unless anyone has any objections, I think the "signing up" process will end pretty much 24 hours after it started?
Makes sense to me, weeman.