• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alphabetical Name Draft

kingkallis

International Coach
I wanted to have Stevey but badly needed an opener. I could have sent Sanga or Lara to open but I guess they were amazing @ No.3 & No.4 respectively.

Himannv

International Coach
I just cant believe nobody picked Steve Waugh!
I actually picked him and then edited my pick a second later to Worrell. Worrell's done alright as an opener and I was eyeing Lara for the last round. I expected people to pick Miller, Murali, Marshall and a couple of other stellar bowlers (who shockingly haven't been picked yet) leaving me with Lara. However things didn't work that way and somehow I ended up with Miller whom I assumed would be the first pick of the round. Well, can't say I'm complaining with three of the best ever all rounders in my side.

Joao

U19 12th Man
When I had made that list of 15-20 prominent names in W & D, I had Steve Waugh listed in Top 10 and Mark Waugh in Top 15

I just cant believe nobody picked Steve Waugh!
I wanted to more than anything as he was my favourite players as a young lad but I had Clarke, Tendulkar and Amla and was short an opener. I would happily **** Clarke off and put him in had I the chance. I actually thought about picking Waugh and then Lara and leaving the 3rd seamer durties to Steve, but I don't quite think his bowling is up to that in a draft 11.

Also can not beleive you picked Watto. Probably in his top 10 fanboys world wide and there is no way he is one of the best 12 crickets with the last name starting with W or D. :@

Also wanted to pick Miller, but again needed an opener or number 3 which ****ed everything up.

Joao

U19 12th Man
I'd better write up my ****y team then. Overall pretty dissapointed but the QLD floods, lack of internet access and having to pick last in all or the ****e letter rounds has delivered my side into mediocrity.

1 Ponsford 2122 runs @ 48.22
2 Amla 3897 runs @ 46.95
3 Lara 11953 runs @ 52.88
4 Tendulkar 14692 runs @ 56.94 & 45 wickets @ 53.06
5 Clarke 4742 runs @ 46.49
6 Noble 1997 runs @ 30.25 & 121 wickets @ 25.00
7 Gilcrhist (+) 5570 runs @ 47.60 & 379 ct / 37 st
8 Illingworth (c) 1836 runs @ 23.24 & 122 wickets @ 31.20
9 Roberts 762 runs @ 14.94 & 202 wickets @ 25.61
10 Steyn 620 runs @ 13.77 & 238 wickets @ 23.21
11 Walsh 936 runs @ 7.54 & 519 wickets @ 24.44

12 O'Keefe 644 runs @ 25.76 & 53 wickets @ 38.07

Batting

One quality opener and one filler in great form atm (hopefully that sways a few). Quality middle order with maybe Noble excepted but I wanted to bat Gilchrist at 7 where he belongs. Noble did average 30 in an era where 50 was basically unheard of so probably not as bad as it looks. Quality against spin all through the order and players capable of making very big scores - Lara and Ponsford who scored 2 FC 400s.
Good depth with only Walsh being incompetent with the bat and of course the little master with 14000 test runs and 50 centuries and counting.
Entertaining depending on which Michael Clarke shows up.

Bowling

Started good but has ended a bit meh. The quicks are all World Class but I really wanted a Marshall or McGrath to lead them. One of the top top tiers bowlers.
Spin is a little light. Illingworth can keep it tight with his test bowling economy under two and Noble bowls a couple of offies as well as medium pacers. However, I know at least Walsh has a good record in India so maybe the frontline spinner is not 100% required.
O'Keefe maybe to come in on a bunsen but he is really a level or five below the rest of the squad so would probably carry the drinks and entertain in the dressing room. Maybe at the Adelaide oval or insert other road come in for Clarke.

Strengths
Middle order
Quality pace
Plaing spin
Batting depth
Entertaining
Captain (English ashes winner in Australia which until recently was hard to do :dry:)

Weaknesses
All rounder a level below the best (although had I been able to pick on time I would have Kapil instead of Noble)
Spin bowling
Probably one world class opener short
No (IMO) top top tier fast bowler

With all that said I have two of my favourite players ever in Lara and Gilly but I have already seen two or three teams I think are better.

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
I wanted to more than anything as he was my favourite players as a young lad but I had Clarke, Tendulkar and Amla and was short an opener. I would happily **** Clarke off and put him in had I the chance. I actually thought about picking Waugh and then Lara and leaving the 3rd seamer durties to Steve, but I don't quite think his bowling is up to that in a draft 11.

Also can not beleive you picked Watto. Probably in his top 10 fanboys world wide and there is no way he is one of the best 12 crickets with the last name starting with W or D. :@

Also wanted to pick Miller, but again needed an opener or number 3 which ****ed everything up.
I agree. I had the following combos in my mind :

Donald & L*****
Donald & Langer
Donald & Lara
Walsh & Lara
Waugh & McGrath
Waugh & Marshall ( In this case I'd be short of openers )

After spending sometime on notepads decided to go with someone who is averaging 50 with bat ( as an opener ) when champs like Hussey, Clarke and Ponting failed against those same attacks.

Howe_zat

Audio File
12 hours gone, will take Dennis Lillee to open the bowling.

Will have an XI with stats & write-up later today.

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
@ Joao

Think you're being a little harsh on Noble there. Personally reckon he's Australia's second greatest all-rounder. Was a highly regarded captain as well. I don't see him as a weakness in your team at all.

Blaze 18

Banned
Final round : L and M

Joao - Brian Lara
Kingkallis - Malcolm Marshall
weeman27bob - George Lohmann
Flyonthewall - Rod Marsh
weldone - Arthur Morris
himannv - Keith Miller
Blaze 18 - Muttiah Muralitharan
Michaelf7777 - Ray Lindwall
Cevno - Vijay Merchant
Howe_zat - Dennis Lille
Honestbharani
Blakus

Honestbharani is up.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I give you...

8 Tabs Of Leekspin XI

Victor Trumper

The Golden Boy of Australia's Golden Age, Trumper was perhaps the first all-time great batsman. He was reknowned for his destructive batting and in 1902 became the first man to hit a Test century before lunch. At a time of wet wickets when batsmen struggled to average 30, and bowlers like Sydney Barnes ran riot, Trumper scored 3,163 runs at 39.04.

Herbert Sutcliffe

One of the world's most obdurate opening batsmen, Sutcliffe was a Yorkshire and England legend who amassed 4555 Test runs at a stunning average of 60.73, second only to Bradman, Headley and Pollock. He saved his best for Ashes contests (then always between the top two sides), averaging 66.85 against the Aussies.

Richie Richardson
(c)

Viv Richards' successor as West Indies captain was genteel and gentle, unfailingly courteous, and modest. He stood for sportsmanship in an age where such values were beginning to disappear. Like Richards, he also declined to wear a helmet, and his wide-brimmed maroon sunhat became a trademark. He was a destructively brilliant batsman, and during the modern peak of fast bowling in the 1990s, scored 5949 runs at 44.39.

Greg Chappell

With a century in his first and last Tests, 22 others in between, and a career average of 53.86, Chappell was the foremost Australian batsman of his generation. A formidable talent, he also had the iron self-will to harness his abilities and those of his team to best effect, accumulating 7110 Test runs.

Graeme Pollock

Pollock was arguably the greatest left-handed batsman of all time, both a powerful strokemaker and remorseless accumulator. His career was sadly halted after 23 Tests by politics, but still racked up 2256 runs at 60.97.

Ian Botham

One of the finest allrounders of all time, Ian Botham was the fastest cricketer to the double of 1000 runs and 100 wickets. Capable of changing the course of a game in an afternoon, he changed the course of an entire series in 1981 with his displays of 149* and 5-1. Though the stats don't show the brilliance of his peak years, he scored 5200 runs at 33.54 and took 383 new-ball wickets at 28.40.

Bert Oldfield
(wk)A true Keeper's keeper, Oldfield was a master behind the stumps and was a key part of the dominant Australian side of the 1930s. Working perfectly with O' Reilly, Grimmet and Ironmonger he still holds the record for stumpings with 52, took 78 catches. All this while still being an accomplished batsman, with 1427 runs at 23.77.

Shane Warne

The finest legspinner the world has ever seen, Warne was a charismatic, spectacular performer who demaded to be the star of the show. With an epic 709 wickets at 25.41, to many he remains the greatest spinner - if not bowler - of them all.

Zaheer Khan

The finest old-ball and left-arm fast bowler in the world today, Zaheer is already one of the best quicks ever to have come out of India. With 271 wickets at 31.94 - and averaged a stunning 21.97 in 2010 - he adds guile, depth and variety to the pace attack.

Adul Qadir

The man who started the modern legspin revolution, Abdul Qadir was the finest Test spinner to have played for Pakistan. Variety was the key; it was said he had six different deliveries per over. Qadir outfoxed opposition batsmen throughout the dark days of spin in the 1970s and 80s, and claimed 236 victims at 32.80.

Dennis Lillee

The man cricinfo turned to to open the bowling for their all-time World XI, Lillee embodied the modern Australian machismo cricketer. Bowling with serious pace, relentless aggression and phenomenal skill, Lillee took 355 wickets at 23..92.

12th man: Makhaya Ntin

A cult hero of the Rainbow Nation, Ntini just misses out on the XI on a relative lack of variety and batting depth. What he does have is an enviable record for a 21st century bowler, including 390 Test wickets at 28.82.

Himannv

International Coach
Sunil Gavaskar - 10122 @ 51.12
Frank Worrell(vc) - 3860 @ 49.48 | 69 wkts @ 38.72
Jacques Kallis - 11947 @ 57.43 | 270 wkts @ 32.01
Shivnarine Chanderpaul - 9063 @ 48.98
Warwick Armstrong - 2863 @ 38.68 | 87 wkts @ 33.59
Imran Khan(c) - 3807 @ 37.69 | 362 wkts @ 22.81
Keith Miller - 2958 @36.97 | 170 wkts @ 22.97
Jack Russell+ - 1897 @ 27.10 | 153 Ct, 12 St
Bobby Peel - 101 wkts @ 16.98
Michael Holding - 249 wkts @ 23.68
Frederick Spofforth - 94 wkts @ 18.41

12th - Grahap Yallop - 2756 @ 41.13

Pros
- Fantastic bowling depth
- Good batting depth
- Imran, Miller and Kallis in the same team. All rounders galore
- Top class bowling attack
- Three batsmen who have scored over 9K runs
- Three great captaincy choices

Cons
- Short of one more top batsman.
- Worrell does not open that often

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
It's been 12 hours since Howe_zat picked so I'm pretty sure it's my turn.

Going ot pick Bill Lawry to complete my side

1.Bill Lawry
2.Roy Fredericks
3.Ricky Ponting
4.Wally Hammond
5.Gundappa Viswanath
6.Sir Garry Sobers
7.George Ulyett
8.Alan knott
9.Wasim Akram
10.Bruce Yardley
11.Clarrie Grimmett

12.Bhagwath Chandrasekhar

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol @ Glenn McGrath being the last pick of this draft.. The greatest bowler of all time, perhaps, at least by some here.. :dry:

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
There were plenty of names I wanted to take but couldn't because I needed an opener. Laker, Larwood, McCabe etc

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Sneaky Soldiers

Vijay Merchant
Javed Miandad
Denis Compton
Inzamam ul-haq
Mohammad Azharuddin
Aubrey Faulkner
Alec Stewart
Anil Kumble
Wes Hall
Joel Garner
Waqar Younis

Chris Old

This is my team . Will post the averages and a write up if we need one in the next couple of hours if i have time.
Haven't really posted the team till now,so thought should do it for the voting thread