• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis vs Ponting as test batsmen

Who is the better test batsman

• Total voters

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
After careful thought a few beers and one or two exchanged words with dissenters I came up with the following for the last 20 years -

Best Batsmen -

1. Tendulkar
2. Lara
3. Ponting
4. Dravid
5. Kallis

Needless to say Punter does top Kallis IMO, although not by much. At their peaks they both averaged very close to 60, and although Kallis has reached his peak yet again, he isn't quite Punter's equal as a batsman.

I can undertand people disgreeing with my 4 and 5 selections. Not least for the fact that Kallis has stood the test of time better than Dravid, and his stats are also better, but in their respective primes I consider Dravid to be a more artisitc, more naturally gifted batsman with them playing similar roles.

All opinions though. And it goes without saying that Kallis the best cricketer of the bunch.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
More like

Tendulkar
Lara
Ponting
Sangakkara
Kallis

Smith
Dravid
Flower
Pietersen
Waugh

Edit: Lower half not in any order.

Kane, Hohli, Root, Khan, MJ, Shewag, VVS, are unlucky to miss out.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I’m more interested* in the fella averaging 60 through 70 plus tests not being considered quite in the upper echelon.

*not really, the bloke has no idea