• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis vs Ponting as test batsmen

Who is the better test batsman

• Total voters

Bun

Banned
At this stage :

Kallis : 11,650 runs from 143 tests @ 56.82 with 38 hundreds
Ponting : 12,333 runs from 151 tests @ 53.85 with 39 hundreds

Teja.

Global Moderator
Ponting, most definitely by a tiny but still visible margin, for mine.

Kallis the better cricketer by a hellload tho.

Bun

Banned
I think Kallis easily is the better batsman. He averages a full 3 point above Ponting and is just 1 hundred from equalling Ponting's tally of hundreds.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have decided that I will wait for players' careers to be over before making these comparisons. :)

Saying that, Ponting and Kallis are in the same ballpark and as ever, it comes down to personal preference.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
After seeing all the Kallis love here over past few days, my judgement has become clouded. But still will give it to Ponting for playing some cracking knocks that I don't think Kallis has equaled.

Dissector

International Debutant
A few years ago it was obviously Ponting. Right now over their full careers, I would put Kallis ahead by a whisker.

subshakerz

International Coach
Ponting. Uptil 2007, he was as prolific as Kallis, but much more assertive on the opposition and scored his runs more quickly. Since 2007, its changed, but not enough to merit Kallis over Ponting.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's interesting actually, both of similar vintage (think Ponting's not quite a year older) but Kallis's form isn't waning in quite the same way as Punter's is. Does make one wonder if Kallis, with his more obviously "correct" technique will be better served in his cricketing dotage.

At their peaks it's Ponting tho, would destroy bowling attacks in a way Kallis could never quite allow himself to. Pretty sure Kallis could've, but he didn't often.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kallis. He is the #1 all time batsman of all time greatest eva and would dominate Bradman if the Don came on to bowl today.

Seriously, enough of these Kallis threads.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's interesting actually, both of similar vintage (think Ponting's not quite a year older) but Kallis's form isn't waning in quite the same way as Punter's is. Does make one wonder if Kallis, with his more obviously "correct" technique will be better served in his cricketing dotage.

At their peaks it's Ponting tho, would destroy bowling attacks in a way Kallis could never quite allow himself to. Pretty sure Kallis could've, but he didn't often.
Ponting's peak was the closest to Lara's I've seen. They scaled crazy heights of batsmanship.

Kallis is a gun though. Just churns the runs out time after time. I wonder whether, in years to come he'll be the under-appreciated Barrington of this era.

G Rot

Cricket Spectator
Kallis. He is the #1 all time batsman of all time greatest eva and would dominate Bradman if the Don came on to bowl today.

Seriously, enough of these Kallis threads.
Lol im pretty damn sure punter would dominate the don if he came on to bowl... pretty sure any world class batsman would dominate someone who is barely a part time bowler...

And even if kallis did face the don i dont he would "dominate" him as such, he hasnt "dominated" anyone... for me domination would be scoring somewhere close to a run a ball...

But aside from that i think if kallis came out and tried to dominate like ponting his average would be a fair few runs less than pontings...

Flem274*

123/5
Just going to point out you can dominate by refusing to budge. As a bowler, good defensive batsmen made me miserable.

When you're getting spanked you can feel like you have a chance, whereas I've wanted to shove several schoolboy batsmens casual forward defensives to decent deliveries up their backsides.