• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis vs Ponting as test batsmen

Who is the better test batsman

• Total voters

Gilly Fan

U19 12th Man
At their best I'd got Ponting. Absolutely unstoppable when he's in form. If he didn't have the captaincy he'd still be batting well imo. But we don't have anyone who can take over him.

bagapath

International Captain
Thought your movies were good enough for that.:ph34r:
I cater primarily to the adult market. so cant show it to kids. but my current film is good for kids too. it is pure unadulterated chloroform for everyone.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Good to hear. Love sleeping through movies. Managed to do it with Endhiran too. Hope it is at least 3 hours long. Get headaches if I wake up too soon.:p

Mike5181

International Captain
who gives a **** about batting averages at this level? all numbers between 50 and 60 mean the same to me. a great batsman over the course of a long career may average 52 at some point and 57 at some other; sunil gavaskar, allan border and javed miandad all did. despite fluctuating averages, they remained class batsmen throughout their long and distinguished careers. finally, the fact that they ended their careers with a 50+ average is enough for me to call them all time greats. i dont see too much difference between viv richards and hammond. one averaged 50 and the other 58. but there is no way i can split them using the numbers alone; others shouldn't try to either.

now, kallis averages 3 points more than ponting. but i would completely ignore that. ponting, overall, is a superior batsman than kallis by half a mile. he is an all round batter who could attack, defend, dominate and fight back. he can score well against everyone and in all conditions (except in india). kallis' country wise stats will reveal that he cant be relied upon as much as ponting to deliver all the time everywhere. and, of course, he was not as forceful as punter at the crease for a decade and a few years.

i am selecting ricky ponting over him to bat for my team and win matches. i am collecting jacques kallis videos to put my future grand children to sleep.
AWTA. Numbers don't mean everything.

bagapath

International Captain
Good to hear. Love sleeping through movies. Managed to do it with Endhiran too. Hope it is at least 3 hours long. Get headaches if I wake up too soon.:p
it is only 2 hours long, like a quick fire jacques kallis 30. may be you should watch two shows back to back and sleep properly. kallis would have added 20 more runs in that extra couple of hours.

Mike5181

International Captain
it is only 2 hours long, like a quick fire jacques kallis 30. may be you should watch two shows back to back and sleep properly. kallis would have added 20 more runs in that extra couple of hours.
Although i tend to agree that Kallis is a slow scorer. I will direct you to this. With some world class batsmen filling the positions around him Kallis has a new found freedom. I think also due largely to things like the IPL in recent times.

Last three years
All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

2453 runs at SR 51

Last two years

1729 runs at SR of 53

Last 12 months

1249 runs at SR of 55

You have to give it to him. The guy is improving.

Still for me Ponting > Kallis as a test batsmen. Just.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Kallis. He is the #1 all time batsman of all time greatest eva and would dominate Bradman if the Don came on to bowl today.

Seriously, enough of these Kallis threads.
tbh even if we had 20 full pages of "Kallis rulez" threads it wouldn't go 0.01% of the way towards rectifying how criminally underrated he has been over the course of his career.

Ruckus

International Captain
who gives a **** about batting averages at this level? all numbers between 50 and 60 mean the same to me. a great batsman over the course of a long career may average 52 at some point and 57 at some other; sunil gavaskar, allan border and javed miandad all did. despite fluctuating averages, they remained class batsmen throughout their long and distinguished careers. finally, the fact that they ended their careers with a 50+ average is enough for me to call them all time greats. i dont see too much difference between viv richards and hammond. one averaged 50 and the other 58. but there is no way i can split them using the numbers alone; others shouldn't try to either.
Yeah when you compare batting averages between two players at any one time, they are pretty meaningless. That's why a comparison of Tendulkar vs Ponting at this instance is rather stupid - Ponting is on a massive career low, whilst Tendulkar is on a high. Not long ago, Ponting was averaging considerably more than Tendulkar. However, if you are judging a player's overall career, it definately matters how many times they were able to reach 'peaks' in performance - or in other words the longevity of the player (which is why unless Ponting does something extremely special in his final years, Tendulkar will be always be above him).

That being said though, I am more interested in the heights a player can reach (at any time in their career), which is why I would rate Ponting a fair bit more than Kallis. Kallis is yet to scale the heights of a Tendulkar, Lara or Ponting imo, and you never get the feeling he really dominates attacks - he has no aura. Kallis is a fine batsmen, but he just strikes me as a proficient accumulator (comparing him to Dravid would be a more interesting exercise).

Ruckus

International Captain
Why? That just seems to me to be self-evidently silly.

How so? Which heights?
The best way to think about it is by trying to recall the period in a player's career where they where at a peak and dominating attacks: e.g. you think of the Tendulkar in the mid-late 90's, and you think of the Ponting of the mid 2000's. For me, that moment hasn't come for Kallis yet.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:lol:

Harsh, but so funny.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The best way to think about it is by trying to recall the period in a player's career where they where at a peak and dominating attacks: e.g. you think of the Tendulkar in the mid-late 90's, and you think of the Ponting of the mid 2000's. For me, that moment hasn't come for Kallis yet.
I like to think of when a player goes through a really, really significant lean patch. That moment hasn't come for Kallis yet.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like to think of when a player goes through a really, really significant lean patch. That moment hasn't come for Kallis yet.
I think he averaged only 30 odd in 2008 but made up for it by having a great year with the ball. Just can't keep him out of the game.