• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis vs Ponting as test batsmen

Who is the better test batsman

• Total voters

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Just going to point out you can dominate by refusing to budge. As a bowler, good defensive batsmen made me miserable.

When you're getting spanked you can feel like you have a chance, whereas I've wanted to shove several schoolboy batsmens casual forward defensives to decent deliveries up their backsides.
ehh i don't know. When you're getting thoroughly carted by a good batsmen I used to feel a bit hopeless and couldn't see where a wicket was coming from.

G Rot

Cricket Spectator
Just going to point out you can dominate by refusing to budge. As a bowler, good defensive batsmen made me miserable.

When you're getting spanked you can feel like you have a chance, whereas I've wanted to shove several schoolboy batsmens casual forward defensives to decent deliveries up their backsides.
Yes but refusing to budge and dominating an attack are two completely different things imo...
Border wasnt a dominating batsman he could stick it out had a lot of class but no domination....

Flem274*

123/5
ehh i don't know. When you're getting thoroughly carted by a good batsmen I used to feel a bit hopeless and couldn't see where a wicket was coming from.
Difference in our psychologies I guess. I hated the **** that would end up finishing 100* off 473829847473 balls. Some batsmen who went on to higher honours spanked me and that hurt, but seeing other good batsmen making fine imitations of granite to me was awful. Had no idea how I was supposed to get them out after trying everything.

Flem274*

123/5
Yes but refusing to budge and dominating an attack are two completely different things imo...
Border wasnt a dominating batsman he could stick it out had a lot of class but no domination....
You can dominate by refusing to budge though. Have you ever bowled to a good defensive batsman and wondered how the hell you were going to get rid of him exactly? They can make you feel just as much of a pimp slapped bitch as the ****s who have a strike rate over 100.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Difference in our psychologies I guess. I hated the **** that would end up finishing 100* off 473829847473 balls. Some batsmen who went on to higher honours spanked me and that hurt, but seeing other good batsmen making fine imitations of granite to me was awful. Had no idea how I was supposed to get them out after trying everything.
Yeah true. I'd always get worried when I'd sent down a ripping offie (left arm though) with extra bounce and it'd get comfortably played back to me. But not as bad getting lifted over my head for 6

TumTum

Banned
pfft I loved it. I felt like I was in a contest and that I had to be a step ahead of the batsman. For example after the batsman came down the track and smashed me, I would fire in the quick yorker from a slow run up and then toss up a very slow delivery from a fast-ish run up. But when batsman are patient, they just block your good balls and attack your loose ones, no fun.

G Rot

Cricket Spectator
You can dominate by refusing to budge though. Have you ever bowled to a good defensive batsman and wondered how the hell you were going to get rid of him exactly? They can make you feel just as much of a pimp slapped bitch as the ****s who have a strike rate over 100.

This is true but when someone goes hard at you in your 1st over it can dent your confidence a hell of a lot quicker than seeing the same guy out there 3 hours later...

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
pfft I loved it. I felt like I was in a contest and that I had to be a step ahead of the batsman. For example after the batsman came down the track and smashed me, I would fire in the quick yorker from a slow run up and then toss up a very slow delivery from a fast-ish run up. But when batsman are patient, they just block your good balls and attack your loose ones, no fun.
I'm not talking about someone slogging you though. I'm talking about the batsmen that just carves you up continually and you seemingly have no chance or choice but to go for at least 10 off your over

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To unleash the troll in me.. :p

Ponting > Kallis. Both bash **** attacks but at least Ponting does it at a better rate..

To answer seriously...

Ponting > Kallis. Both great batsmen but Ponting more likely to change a **** position to a winning one than Kallis.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting for me.

And by a relatively somewhat comfortable margin,still. Though it is reducing.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yes. A plodder bores young heads and causes the standard of fielding to drop considerably in club cricket. Not sure that extends to test cricket in quite the same way though.
Gabba 2nd innings and Adelaide 1st innings. I don't think Australia would have fielded as badly if England hadn't ground them relentlessly into the dust.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Re: plodders vs spankers, tbh it's not clear-cut which is worse to come up against and differs whether you're ahead or behind in the game, for mine.

Some bloke desperately holding up and end in response to your massive total as you gradually add more blokes to the cordon = a matter of time before the breakthrough comes. The same guy wearing your bowlers down in response to your moderate/low total = frustrating/heads drop.

Same thing with hitters; some guy hitting them well when you have plenty of runs to play with = "He can't middle them all/a chance will come soon/ah who cares? Get them at the other end." When they've passed your total and a hitter is piling on the misery = "I quit/hate the game."

As far as the two subjects of this thread, they're both products of their environments and obviously have scored a mountain of runs so they're both guns. But for me personally, I tend to be more in the Ponting camp because he's more likely to score a 1st dig ton at a good rate to set the tone for the match, was better at changing gears depending on the match situation and has done a lot of it with the added responsibility of the captaincy.

Last edited:

Elmer

Cricket Spectator
The Ponting who scores two doubles in a series against India was awesome and he was up until about 2008. I'm afraid Kallis would be in my side everytime now. He seems to be aging better.

G Rot

Cricket Spectator
Gabba 2nd innings and Adelaide 1st innings. I don't think Australia would have fielded as badly if England hadn't ground them relentlessly into the dust.
Adeleide 1st innings we could have had ya's 2/2 if hussey caught trott.... We werent ground into dust at that point.

I think you can look at that whichever way suits, Did england grind aus relentlessly or did we allow them to with **** fielding....

Hit Wicket

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's a tough call to make, but the answer always has to be Ponting. Yeah, both made hay after sucking in the 90s and in the batting paradises of the 00s, but there is absolutely no doubt about Ponting's supremacy with the bat.

He had a 4-5 year peak, albeit supported by an exceptional team and batting line up, which will go down as one of the most dominant periods by a batsman. His numbers outside this period really suck, but in this period he did play some glorious innings. Not his best, but the one I can never forget is the 4th innings chase at Sydney when Smith declared early to get to a result. The impetuosity was brilliant. As I said in some earlier thread, you would have to go to stats guru, pick out Kallis' innings above 75 and then try to figure out which of them were influential. With the likes of Tendulkar, Lara and to a lesser extent Dravid and Ponting you can recite them in your sleep.

bagapath

International Captain
who gives a **** about batting averages at this level? all numbers between 50 and 60 mean the same to me. a great batsman over the course of a long career may average 52 at some point and 57 at some other; sunil gavaskar, allan border and javed miandad all did. despite fluctuating averages, they remained class batsmen throughout their long and distinguished careers. finally, the fact that they ended their careers with a 50+ average is enough for me to call them all time greats. i dont see too much difference between viv richards and hammond. one averaged 50 and the other 58. but there is no way i can split them using the numbers alone; others shouldn't try to either.

now, kallis averages 3 points more than ponting. but i would completely ignore that. ponting, overall, is a superior batsman than kallis by half a mile. he is an all round batter who could attack, defend, dominate and fight back. he can score well against everyone and in all conditions (except in india). kallis' country wise stats will reveal that he cant be relied upon as much as ponting to deliver all the time everywhere. and, of course, he was not as forceful as punter at the crease for a decade and a few years.

i am selecting ricky ponting over him to bat for my team and win matches. i am collecting jacques kallis videos to put my future grand children to sleep.

Last edited: