• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it too early to declare Dale Steyn as an all-time great?

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think CW has a bit too much emphasis on stats in general. If I ask myself why I rate McGrath highly, I would say its his unwavering accuracy over a long period of time. Similarly would rate Akram highly because he made the ball talk and could produce a different kind of ball for every delivery in an over. For now I dont think Steyn is as good as Akram, McGrath, Marshall, Hadlee and the likes as yet. Perhaps in time we will see him in a different light but for now he's a step below the top bowlers of all time for me. Top bowler for sure, but lets see how he stands in a few years. Its not so much about the number of games he plays but rather how he plays them.
This
This

Friggin' THIS.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes would agree with the general consensus on here in that he is very close to achieving ATG status but just needs to continue this form for a little longer. He is easily the best bowler in the world in all conditions and I expect him to continue this for a while yet, which would result in us talking about him as a great of the game.

As mentioned earlier in an era when wickets are considerably tougher to come by due to the number of flat tracks that are around nowadays it does make his consistent performances that bit more impressive. He constantly threatens in all conditions, and is forming a most intimidating partnership with Morne Morkel.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He is pretty much an all time great for me.

There have been perhaps lesser bowlers even who are regarded as ATG's by people.

I think the fact that he is still playing always affects the argument somewhat.

joels344

U19 Debutant
He's fantastic now and quite possibly the best bowler of his time. But I'm curious where he will be in 30 or 40 more Tests. Hopefully he doesn't get injured. If he still has good pace, plus he's getting people out at the rate he does now, then he's an all-time great for sure.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Possibly, but he will get there. Amazingly good quick despite lacking the height that several others had.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's his strike rate of 40 that is what I find so impressive. That is just insane.

Also, it's interesting that his economy is almost identical to that of Brett Lee. Unlike Brett Lee however, he takes a lot of wickets consistently.

flibbertyjibber

Steyn isn't as good as Pollock or Donald but he is clearly better than Ntini.

I am not sure when a very good player becomes an all time great, i guess it depends on who they play for and the impact they have for that side. Steyn is clearly a very good bowler and easily the best around at the moment, whether he is an all time great is open for debate though.

Howe_zat

Audio File

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Nah, I reckon Steyn is as good as Pollock and Donald, and by the end of his career could end up better. Definitely an all-time great for me.

_Ed_

Ntini? I don't know, I think I'd place Steyn above Ntini, even now.
Yeah, you may be right. I just feel that Ntini's a guy who never really gets the respect he deserves, so as a result, I probably rate him a bit higher than is really accurate, and I take any chance I can get to talk him up.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, I reckon Steyn is as good as Pollock and Donald, and by the end of his career could end up better. Definitely an all-time great for me.
However, he is more expensive than the other two because of his very attacking bowling.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, you may be right. I just feel that Ntini's a guy who never really gets the respect he deserves, so as a result, I probably rate him a bit higher than is really accurate, and I take any chance I can get to talk him up.
Ntini was a very good bowler, no denying it. However he wasn't in the same class as Donald or Pollock.

Burgey

Too soon yet I think. But he's really first rate.

Longevity at a level at or near where he is now is the key to him getting there, from my POV.

Zinzan

Yeah but you have to take modern day wickets into account.

Steyn never had the benefits of what Ambrose and Wasim got for most if not their whole test career.

So whilst they have longevity claims, Steyn has "bowled on ridiculously flat beds" claims.
That being the nail on the head

kingkallis

International Coach
I think CW has a bit too much emphasis on stats in general. If I ask myself why I rate McGrath highly, I would say its his unwavering accuracy over a long period of time. Similarly would rate Akram highly because he made the ball talk and could produce a different kind of ball for every delivery in an over. For now I dont think Steyn is as good as Akram, McGrath, Marshall, Hadlee and the likes as yet. Perhaps in time we will see him in a different light but for now he's a step below the top bowlers of all time for me. Top bowler for sure, but lets see how he stands in a few years. Its not so much about the number of games he plays but rather how he plays them.
1 more reason why I would put him in the ATG list right at this moment. To have such amazing stats on the roads is pretty fantastic.

The lad is bowling superbly even on roads and next best to Dale is Johnson, so we know how huge the gap is between those two.

Blaze 18

Banned
1 more reason why I would put him in the ATG list right at this moment. To have such amazing stats on the roads is pretty fantastic.

The lad is bowling superbly even on roads and next best to Dale is Johnson, so we know how huge the gap is between those two.
I don't think it is clear-cut.