• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar's best 100?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't call it his greatest hundred ,but i agree with Kumble on his Sydney not out in sydney 2004 -
To me they were about the essence of Sachin's greatness as a batsman which is more than about how many runs he scores - his greatness is in how quickly he adjusts to conditions, wickets, bowling, and his understanding in what he needs to do to score those runs.

Before the Sydney innings, he was getting out outside the off stump in the series and he decided that won't happen again. He didn't score a boundary on the off side, didn't hit a cover drive. He waited for the ball to come to him, picked it off and clipped it to midwicket all the way not just to three figures, but a double hundred.
That innings is often overlooked but it was a classic display of mind over body.
Most can score big when you are in form and going great guns ,but struggling with his body ,injuries and form at the time ,the discipline he showed in that innings was remarkable and to stifle some of the biggest scoring areas of his and still score a Double century was Absolutely brilliant. And i would have to say is something that sets him apart from his contemporaries.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Also surprised the 136 against Waqar,Wasim and saqlain in Chennai,1999 does not even get mentioned.

1st Test: India v Pakistan at Chennai, Jan 28-31, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

What a innings that was!! Incredible.
Battling a injury he almost won it for India alone on a very tough wicket.

I think if the tail would have carried india to victory after he got out , it would have probably been hailed as his best knock but the fact they could not score 14 runs with 3 wickets in hand does not make it not worthy of a mention amongst his top 3.
It's funny sometimes ,how the same innings fits in different scenarios dependent on others.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Apparently they were all rubbish, against poor attacks and under no pressure. Worst player.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
His 169 against SA was a pretty good one. But somehow the 155 in Chennai will always remain special for me.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His 169 against SA was a pretty good one. But somehow the 155 in Chennai will always remain special for me.
These two for me as well, along with the 136 against Pakistan in Chennai. Can't split those three.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Chenaai's crowd response after the game > Sachin's innings at that time tbf. At least to me.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't call it his greatest hundred ,but i agree with Kumble on his Sydney not out in sydney 2004 -

That innings is often overlooked but it was a classic display of mind over body.
Most can score big when you are in form and going great guns ,but struggling with his body ,injuries and form at the time ,the discipline he showed in that innings was remarkable and to stifle some of the biggest scoring areas of his and still score a Double century was Absolutely brilliant. And i would have to say is something that sets him apart from his contemporaries.
That was so demoralising to watch live!

I remember a mate commenting that he wouldn't mind seeing Sachin scoring a few runs that day if India were to bat first

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
That 155 against SA in the same match that Sehwag scored a debut hundred in. Very good counter-attacking hundred.

JBH001

International Regular
I love this comment:

To me they were about the essence of Sachin's greatness as a batsman which is more than about how many runs he scores - his greatness is in how quickly he adjusts to conditions, wickets, bowling, and his understanding in what he needs to do to score those runs.
because it encapsulates why I think Sachin is the greatest batsman I have ever seen (i.e. over the last 20 years). I've said this before and I'll say it again, but watching Sachin make a good hundred is watching the craft of batting in a way I don't think any other batsman is able to imitate.

And I also love this comment:

It was our big player who pulled out his big innings, which gave us a chance to win that game. When he came in we were about 180 behind Australia, and when he was out, India were 77 in front. I remember him hitting Colin Miller for a six to reach his hundred. The ball went over long-on into the far end of the ground. We were sitting in our viewing area with spectators on two sides of us, behind us, and on our right, and the celebration was wild. And loud. As much as we may see batsmen hitting sixes to reach centuries now, something like that was rarely done ten years ago. It was wonderful, emphatic, a statement. He was up against McGrath, Warne, Gillespie and the world's best team. It was hot and sweltering, we were sweating buckets sitting out in the viewing area and the crowd was packed in to every inch of the ground. And then, there was Sachin batting for us, batting for them.
because it cuts through all the crap about Sachin never doing it on the highest stage, against the best, in trying circumstances, in world cups and on and on with the inanities. Really just utter drivel.

Btw, I believe Dasa was being sarcastic.

Last edited:

masterblaster

International Captain
While many Sachin Tendulkar 100's are memorable and stand out, the century he made against England in Chennai after the Mumbai terrorist attacks to guide India to victory chasing over 300 was truly memorable. People said he didn't often play match winning innings, but that was a match winning innings if there ever was one.

A truly special innings that helped India chase down a massive fourth innings target, prove to the critics that Sachin Tendulkar is a match winner and also lift the spirits of a nation so badly affected by terrorism. His innings against England in 2008 will go down as one of my favourites.

kingkallis

International Coach
Also surprised the 136 against Waqar,Wasim and saqlain in Chennai,1999 does not even get mentioned.

1st Test: India v Pakistan at Chennai, Jan 28-31, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

What a innings that was!! Incredible.
Battling a injury he almost won it for India alone on a very tough wicket.

I think if the tail would have carried india to victory after he got out , it would have probably been hailed as his best knock but the fact they could not score 14 runs with 3 wickets in hand does not make it not worthy of a mention amongst his top 3.
It's funny sometimes ,how the same innings fits in different scenarios dependent on others.
It does not get mentioned often cause he threw his wicket away and lost the game. No matter how well he played in that game. ( It is one of my fav. Sachin ton though )

Shri

Mr. Glass
He played with a back problem in the innings and was pretty much out of it and so fatigued by the humidity in the end when he got out.