Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarke or Samaraweera?

With current form Samaraweera. But I think Clarke is better. Sam will only get very few chances to play overseas as he's already 34, so might be 3 more seasons at maximum. But the way he handled Roach when the ball was boomeranging gives hope to fans that he could do it overseas as well.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

U19 12th Man
    Just as a side note does anyone at all see any shades of Greg Chappell in Samaraweera when playing spin? Not that I'm saying Samaraweera is in his league; of course I could be the only one...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    It's a pretty tough comparison. Samaraweera has an easier time of it than Clarke because he doesn't play in such a wide variety of conditions, but he does do his job quite a bit better than Clarke does his.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post
    Just as a side note does anyone at all see any shades of Greg Chappell in Samaraweera when playing spin? Not that I'm saying Samaraweera is in his league; of course I could be the only one...
    Samaraweera is not in Chappel's league as a batsman. But jhe's in his own league when it comes to playing spin. Better player of spin that Chappel IMO. Easily the second or third best player of spin SL has in his entire history after Ranatunga and Tillekaratne

International Regular
    Surely Mahela is your best against spin?

vcs
    Yeah, I was wondering that as well. Samaraweera is pretty awesome to watch against spin. But he hasn't done all that well against Kumble/Harbhajan in India.

Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    Surely Mahela is your best against spin?
    Nah, Samaraweera, PJ and then Mahela.

Well, Hussey>Samaraweera>Clarke for me. Personal choice obviously.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Only if Hussey was playing at home though
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

regardless...though not by much over the other 2...

Personally feel that Mahela is the best against spin in SL. Just so happens that he gets out for some reason or other instead of cashing in on his ability. In terms of talent, Mahela is head and shoulders above most IMO. Unfortunately doesn't convert that into consistent performances.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Quote Originally Posted by Himannv View Post
    Personally feel that Mahela is the best against spin in SL. Just so happens that he gets out for some reason or other instead of cashing in on his ability. In terms of talent, Mahela is head and shoulders above most IMO. Unfortunately doesn't convert that into consistent performances.
    ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Clark has the most talent, then Hussey and Sam the least. But talen <> performance as it looks. But I'd expect Clarke to hit a purple patch in the future, which Hussey and Sam will be unable to because of age.

U19 12th Man
    Mahela not consistent? That's a bit harsh, I'd say he's been very consistent in the last 4 years. Actually if you look at it the only place he really messed up in the last 4 years was 2 tests New Zealand. He performed ok in England; nothing special but he did save a test there. People do underrate him due to his away record, which he does have to improve, but it's not as if he's had many chances, since 2006 3 tests in England (where he got a 100), 2 in Aus (where he got a 100) and 2 in NZ. I guess we will find out next year where he sits with the very best.

Migara I would have to disagree with you about PJ playing spin better than Mahela. I don't see it that way; PJ only looks respectable against spin because comparatively he looks so hopeless against pace. He does have some decent attacking shots, but does not have the ability to manouvre spin around like Mahela or Samaraweera.

For me Mahela is the best player of spin in SL team slightly ahead of Samaraweera...both have good footwork against spin and can attack or defend against spin well.

^^We might see them differently, yesy i agree. Sam has the mindset of Ranatunga against spinners, that lacked any respect. So you'll see many shots against spin, like leg spinners disappearing through mid wicket or offies through cover-point. That's one way of aggressive batting against spin. A drive along the carpet played against spin breaks the heart of a spinner more than a humangous six over mid wicket, because you know that you have very little chance (unless it's Sidhu or Sehwag doing it). Mahela is more measured and plays with the spin and respects spinners (but gets out when he tries that odd shot). Tillekaratne was an even better player of spin than Mahela, but he wa one of those obdurate stone wallers, and spinners had that sinking feeling that you'd never get him (As with Andrew Flower).

Finally it comes to which style of play you like most. Obviously I rank a player who always hits the ball against the spin without hitting it in the air more (may be aesthetics) unless Sidhu or Sehwag is playing. You may rank them differently which is very fair by you.

PJ, is well known for his spin play for a long long time. He has an attitude peroblem when he's playing spinners of not respecting them. But good strokemaker against spin, and be a must when SL play India. I agree that he's clueless against pace. Even with his high quality glove work might lose the place to Kaushal Silva who is a much better batsman.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information