• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarke or Samaraweera?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I was wondering that as well. Samaraweera is pretty awesome to watch against spin. But he hasn't done all that well against Kumble/Harbhajan in India.

Himannv

International Coach
Personally feel that Mahela is the best against spin in SL. Just so happens that he gets out for some reason or other instead of cashing in on his ability. In terms of talent, Mahela is head and shoulders above most IMO. Unfortunately doesn't convert that into consistent performances.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Personally feel that Mahela is the best against spin in SL. Just so happens that he gets out for some reason or other instead of cashing in on his ability. In terms of talent, Mahela is head and shoulders above most IMO. Unfortunately doesn't convert that into consistent performances.
ditto.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, Hussey>Samaraweera>Clarke for me. Personal choice obviously.
Clark has the most talent, then Hussey and Sam the least. But talen <> performance as it looks. But I'd expect Clarke to hit a purple patch in the future, which Hussey and Sam will be unable to because of age.

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
Mahela not consistent? That's a bit harsh, I'd say he's been very consistent in the last 4 years. Actually if you look at it the only place he really messed up in the last 4 years was 2 tests New Zealand. He performed ok in England; nothing special but he did save a test there. People do underrate him due to his away record, which he does have to improve, but it's not as if he's had many chances, since 2006 3 tests in England (where he got a 100), 2 in Aus (where he got a 100) and 2 in NZ. I guess we will find out next year where he sits with the very best.

Migara I would have to disagree with you about PJ playing spin better than Mahela. I don't see it that way; PJ only looks respectable against spin because comparatively he looks so hopeless against pace. He does have some decent attacking shots, but does not have the ability to manouvre spin around like Mahela or Samaraweera.

For me Mahela is the best player of spin in SL team slightly ahead of Samaraweera...both have good footwork against spin and can attack or defend against spin well.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
^^We might see them differently, yesy i agree. Sam has the mindset of Ranatunga against spinners, that lacked any respect. So you'll see many shots against spin, like leg spinners disappearing through mid wicket or offies through cover-point. That's one way of aggressive batting against spin. A drive along the carpet played against spin breaks the heart of a spinner more than a humangous six over mid wicket, because you know that you have very little chance (unless it's Sidhu or Sehwag doing it). Mahela is more measured and plays with the spin and respects spinners (but gets out when he tries that odd shot). Tillekaratne was an even better player of spin than Mahela, but he wa one of those obdurate stone wallers, and spinners had that sinking feeling that you'd never get him (As with Andrew Flower).

Finally it comes to which style of play you like most. Obviously I rank a player who always hits the ball against the spin without hitting it in the air more (may be aesthetics) unless Sidhu or Sehwag is playing. You may rank them differently which is very fair by you.

PJ, is well known for his spin play for a long long time. He has an attitude peroblem when he's playing spinners of not respecting them. But good strokemaker against spin, and be a must when SL play India. I agree that he's clueless against pace. Even with his high quality glove work might lose the place to Kaushal Silva who is a much better batsman.

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
I would definitely agree with PJ having an attitude problem against spin, remember him recently getting carried away with attacking Ojha and that wasn't the first time.

Ranatunga was a top notch player of spin, had both power and finesse. Can't say I thought of Tillakaratne being amazing against spin, but now that you say it you're probably right. Jimmy Adams should have taken tips off Tillkaratne as how to play spin defensively. Controversial as it may sound I actually rate Tillakaratne as a better test batsman than both Jayasuriya and Atapattu who were ultimate flat track bullies in test cricket, as much as I loved them.

Must admit I've been waiting for Kaushal to enter the side; he's been talked about for a while. Haven't seen much of him. What's he like? I heard he's technically a very sound batsman...any chance of him playing as a pure batsman?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I would definitely agree with PJ having an attitude problem against spin, remember him recently getting carried away with attacking Ojha and that wasn't the first time.

Ranatunga was a top notch player of spin, had both power and finesse. Can't say I thought of Tillakaratne being amazing against spin, but now that you say it you're probably right. Jimmy Adams should have taken tips off Tillkaratne as how to play spin defensively. Controversial as it may sound I actually rate Tillakaratne as a better test batsman than both Jayasuriya and Atapattu who were ultimate flat track bullies in test cricket, as much as I loved them.

Must admit I've been waiting for Kaushal to enter the side; he's been talked about for a while. Haven't seen much of him. What's he like? I heard he's technically a very sound batsman...any chance of him playing as a pure batsman?
Hashan was a very defensive batsman and good one at that. Might have score a lot more against current bowlers. But I'd never rate him as a great batsman, and so are Jayasuriya and Atapattu. They are better than a good batsman, but not great by any stretch of imagination.

Kaushal Silva is very compact batsman wit very little mannerisms, and as the new crop of SL batsmen, better against pace than against spin. So will be breathing down PJ's neck for the English test tour. But he's not the high class keeper that PJ is. On the other hand PJ will be lamb to slaughter in English conditions were pitching the ball up gives you maximum results (PJ is quite good against short stuff). Fingers crossed till that tour begin.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Samaraweera is not in Chappel's league as a batsman. But jhe's in his own league when it comes to playing spin. Better player of spin that Chappel IMO. Easily the second or third best player of spin SL has in his entire history after Ranatunga and Tillekaratne
Samarweera has looked dodgy against Kumble /Harbhajan in every innings he has played in India.

He may have gotten out to Harbhajan too,but against Kumble he looked like getting out every ball specially starting his innings.

Playing spin in India and Srilanka are different kettles of fish ,as Ponting also shows.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Samarweera has looked dodgy against Kumble /Harbhajan in every innings he has played in India.

He may have gotten out to Harbhajan too,but against Kumble he looked like getting out every ball specially starting his innings.

Playing spin in India and Srilanka are different kettles of fish ,as Ponting also shows.
And did you mention that these two were taken to the cleaners by Samaraweera in SL? I agree that playing spin in India in 90s was difficult. But current Indian pitches are not those snake farms that 90s used to have. Contrary to that SL wickets always have been spinning wickets other than SSC and Asgiriya.