• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you rate higher? Dale Steyn or Waqar Younis???

Who do you rate higher? Styen or Waqar Younis

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
Dale Steyn is currently the best fast bowler in the world and probably my favorite player in world cricket at the moment. His SR is better than anyone with 200 wickets or more in the history of the game. Somewhat similar to Waqar but probably more versatile IMO. Waqar of course was one of the kings of swing and amongst the pioneers of reverse swing. So who would you rate higher Steyn or Waqar.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The way things stand right now Steyn has 220 wickets from 44 matches. Outstanding.
Yeah, but things can still change.. so I think it is fair to wait for maybe a couple of years or so before comparing him to Waqar. He should get there though.

Himannv

International Coach
Never been a very big fan of Waqar but for the moment I'll rate him higher than Steyn.

Blaze 18

Banned
They are both all-time greats in my opinion. The reason I rate Waqar higher is simply because he could do that much more with the ball, at more pace (for most of his career).

Last edited:

akilana

International 12th Man
Little unfair on both of them to be compared at this stage.

but Steyn's more versatile.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Little unfair on both of them to be compared at this stage.
This. Waqar is streets ahead at the moment, though Steyn shows the potential to warrant comparison in the longer term. I don't think Steyn will ever be as entertaining as Waqar was though.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Waqar, look at the quality of players he played against compared to Steyn. And the quality of bowlers he stood above in his time.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Waqar as Steyn still has a problem bowling to left handers. Yes he has improved in that department but he is nowhere near as good against left handers than right.Waqar didn't really have a fault apart from a dodgy back at a young age which didn't hinder him too much.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Steyn deserves some recognition for his ridiculous record when South Africa win.

His SR in victories is 28 ffs.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Steyn. Doesn't look like a bowler who will get injured too often unlike Waqar and that alone should make him better in the future if he keeps bowling the same way. He is also young enough to correct flaws in his game. Could be the greatest ever of the modern era after McGrath. He is what 28 years old now? Another 7-8 years minimum left in him, long enough to make himself a hall of famer.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Steyn. Doesn't look like a bowler who will get injured too often unlike Waqar and that alone should make him better in the future if he keeps bowling the same way. He is also young enough to correct flaws in his game. Could be the greatest ever of the modern era after McGrath. He is what 28 years old now? Another 7-8 years minimum left in him, long enough to make himself a hall of famer.
27. Doesn't turn 28 till next summer.

smash84

The Tiger King
This. Might even beat McGrath if he ends up the way he is going.