Thread: Ministry may take 'India' out of BCCI

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar

Ministry may take 'India' out of BCCI

Yes, that's possible as there are strong indications from the sports ministry, which is determined to ensure that the cashrich board adheres to the guidelines meant for all national sports federations ( NSFs).

And if the issue reaches a flashpoint, the BCCI would not be able to field a 'national' team. It could also mean that Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Co. would possibly no more represent their country. If the richest sports body of the country remains adamant, it could lead to a legal battle with the government.

BCCI, at a special general body meeting on Saturday in Mumbai, decided not to reply to the ministry's letter and decided that it would go for legal opinion if pressurised further.
    In its 78-year-old existence, the BCCI has probably never been dependent on the sports ministry.

Ministry may take 'India' out of BCCI | Cricket News - Yahoo! Cricket
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Whats the big deal about getting registered with the government and abiding by the NSF guidlines? Why wouldn't BCCI do it?
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Dont have any such information as of yet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Whats the big deal about getting registered with the government and abiding by the NSF guidlines? Why wouldn't BCCI do it?
    The answer is fairly simple; BCCI do not want to be answerable to anyone, they want to be the ones calling all the shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    The answer is fairly simple; BCCI do not want to be answerable to anyone, they want to be the ones calling all the shots.
    Yeah but how much does being a NSF take away from BCCI? essentially they are a national board eh?

Among other restrictions, I think they'd have to open up their books to government scrutiny, allow the government representation on their board (think Suresh Kalmadi taking liberties with the BCCI funds, the horror), adhere to age and tenure restrictions for office bearers etc. Obviously these won't be immediate concerns, but its a slippery slope once they agree to give up autonomy. There's only so much time before the government decides to poke its nose into the affairs of the cash rich body.

Think PCB, Faisal. The President is the patron of the board, IIRC, and you can see for yourself where the government appointed officials have taken Pakistan cricket.

The BCCI is far from perfect, but the alternative is worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Among other restrictions, I think they'd have to open up their books to government scrutiny, allow the government representation on their board (think Suresh Kalmadi taking liberties with the BCCI funds, the horror), adhere to age and tenure restrictions for office bearers etc. Obviously these won't be immediate concerns, but its a slippery slope once they agree to give up autonomy. There's only so much time before the government decides to poke its nose into the affairs of the cash rich body.

Think PCB, Faisal. The President is the patron of the board, IIRC, and you can see for yourself where the government appointed officials have taken Pakistan cricket.

Makes a lot more sense when you throw in the PCB example....might as well stay an independent entity in that case. The whole of Pakistan wants it that way for our board....

Although i bet you Indian government is no where near as bad as the Pak government at the moment in terms of corruption and all.... but still government run affairs in our countries are fishy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Yeah but how much does being a NSF take away from BCCI? essentially they are a national board eh?
    G.I Joe summed it up perfectly. While the BCCI are (presumably) a corrupt organisation, having the government control their affairs might be jumping from the frying pan into the fire. I don't care how this ends up, as long as the team does not get screwed in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post

Makes sense!

Thread Information