• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Captains of each nation after the WC

Athlai

Not Terrible
With Vettori alluding to him giving up the helm after the world cup and Ponting probably quite close to the door what does CW think the captains of each major nation be?

Personally

Australia - Clarke
Bangladesh - Shakib and possibly Rahim being close
England - Strauss
India - Dhoni
New Zealand - Taylor
Pakistan - ... Misbah still? Is anyone youngish and relatively stable? NFI
South Africa - Smith
Sri Lanka - Sanga
West Indies - Hopefully not Sammy

Quaggas

State Captain
Well, Smith will no longer captain SA in ODIs after the WC. It's not clear yet who'll take over, but I suppose Botha's got to be the front-runner. Of course, if you perchance meant tests, that'll still be Smith.

akilana

International 12th Man
tests or ODIs?

G Smith'd quit ODI captaincy after the WC ( when they crash out of WC).

TheLegend™

Cricket Spectator
The Windies are in such a horrible position as it relates to captaincy. I can't anyone who would last a year as the captain of that team right now. It's almost a given and after the world cup Sammy will be replaced.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The Windies are in such a horrible position as it relates to captaincy. I can't anyone who would last a year as the captain of that team right now. It's almost a given and after the world cup Sammy will be replaced.
Potentially Nash. Otherwise there's no one else really.

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
Michael Clarke should not be in Australia's ODI or 20twenty sides.
Cameron White should skipper both of those sides.

Post Ponting in the Test team? Clarke is the obvious choice but is he a leader of men? Next best = I have absolutely NFI now that Katich has done his achilles. Maybe Brad Haddin as a 2 year stop-gap measure until someone else establishes themselves.

Blaze 18

Banned
Australia - Cameron White
Bangladesh - Shakib-Al-Hasan
England - Andrew Strauss
India - MS Dhoni
New Zealand - Ross Taylor
Pakistan - Umar Gul
South Africa - Graeme Smith
Sri Lanka - Kumar Sangakkara
West Indies - Chris Gayle

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia - Clarke, unless dissent by Australia comes through.
Bangladesh - Shakib
England - Strauss. Chance they might give it to someone else for one-dayers.
India - Dhoni
New Zealand - if Vettori doesn't want it, Taylor.
Pakistan - **** knows
South Africa - Smith. Botha for one-dayers if he does resign from limited overs.
Sri Lanka - Sangakkara
West Indies - no idea

Last edited:

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Australia - Clarke
Bangladesh - Shakib
England - Strauss (Tests)/Collingwood (ODI/T20)
India - Dhoni
New Zealand - Jeets :wub:
Pakistan - Who knows, maybe Inzamam?
South Africa - Smith
Sri Lanka - Sangakkara
West Indies - :ph34r:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Why are people keen to get Strauss out of the ODI side? Since being made captain he's been quality. Nowhere near as stodgy as his reputation either.

Paul Collingwood's much more likely to go over the next year or so, I wouldn't be surprised to find KP or even Swanny with the T20 captaincy.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Why are people keen to get Strauss out of the ODI side? Since being made captain he's been quality. Nowhere near as stodgy as his reputation either.

Paul Collingwood's much more likely to go over the next year or so, I wouldn't be surprised to find KP or even Swanny with the T20 captaincy.
Thats a good point, actually. I have no idea who would be T20 captain and certainly can't imagine either Swanneh or KP getting it. Maybe Michael Yardy, considering he's been a county captain for a while?

Mike5181

International Captain
Australia- Clarke (sissy-AUS will lose their killer mentality with this girl)
New Zealand- Taylor (even though he is a ****head with no brains)
West Indies- Nash (Only mature looking player in a team of cash seekers and test haters)
India- Dhoni
Sri Lanka- Sanga- couple years
South Africa- Botha
Pakistan- No idea...Younis Khan?
Bangladesh- Shakib