• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Im a new guy here, but one thing I have noticed which is quite strange, is that people were quick to fire off the "Choke" word when the Proteas did poorly in those 2 odis, but nobody has mentioned how India blew there chance of winning both the ODI's and Test series.

The proteas were 115 for 5 in the fourth game in PE but won it.

In the test series the Proteas only had a lead of 100 and odd with 4 wickets in hand before lunch on the fourth day...
While I agree choking is a hugely overused cliche and often used to denigrate S. Africa, you won't find a better example of it than what happened in the 2nd ODI.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I like the idea of having a new coaching staff take over from WC to WC being the tenure.. It sorta gives them some kinda timing and a roadmap thing.. I guess Stephen Fleming will take over and that might not be the worst idea.. I hope we can keep Paddy Upton and Flem may bring in his own staff for the other areas.. Him and Dhoni share a good working relationship, so it is not completely bleak on that front.

As far as the series is concerned, it is a good sign that we are running a RSA -1 close when we are -4... And signs are good from both Kohli and Pathan.. It would be nice to see Raina back in form though and same with Yuvi.. But I think in home conditions both will come good. Hope for the best, but gotta watch out for other sides.. This WC is more of a lottery than other ones with 3 KO games instead of 2 and every chance that the top 8 will make the quarters.. :)

EDIT: forgot to take out that quote original msg in post thingy.. Ended up quoting the last post and talking about stuff that had no connection to it.. :)

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Good character to comeback from the choke jobs at the Wanderers and Cape Town. Seamers for the most part were exceptional; Morne was awesome, owned the Indian top order and that on wickets where there wasn’t much pace or bounce. Would have liked to see more of Faf and JP bowl but situation yesterday and previously wasn’t viable. Batting still a major a problem particularly when the no-mark spinners appear and they didn’t have a satisfying end of innings slog throughout the series. Should have scored 280+ yesterday and 350 at Durban. And more importantly it’s still almost impossible to get Tahir into the side unless you want Botha batting 7 with Steyn at 8.

Heboric

International Debutant
welcome to the forum.
Don't you know if it's the other teams, it's a collapse or complacency and if it's SA, it's always chocking.
Thanks and lol

While I agree choking is a hugely overused cliche and often used to denigrate S. Africa, you won't find a better example of it than what happened in the 2nd ODI.
I did say they were poor those games

Good character to comeback from the choke jobs at the Wanderers and Cape Town. Seamers for the most part were exceptional; Morne was awesome, owned the Indian top order and that on wickets where there wasn’t much pace or bounce. Would have liked to see more of Faf and JP bowl but situation yesterday and previously wasn’t viable. Batting still a major a problem particularly when the no-mark spinners appear and they didn’t have a satisfying end of innings slog throughout the series. Should have scored 280+ yesterday and 350 at Durban. And more importantly it’s still almost impossible to get Tahir into the side unless you want Botha batting 7 with Steyn at 8.
Maybe drop a seamer, although there could be a chance that Kallis wont be able to bowl when he comes back which could imbalance things further

0RI0N

State 12th Man
No sarcasm in what I posted on your wall though mate, I really reckon you're awesome. Please stick around. :)
No worries mate. You are a good poster too, in fact there are many quality posters from India.

The thing is during the match I support my team 100% and a few friendly disses might fly BUT once the match is finished it's all friendly... kinda like how teams go hard at each other on the pitch (no homo), but after the game they are back to being friendly towards each other.

Indian fans :India gave us one helluva fight this summer believe that.
I thought it would have been business as usual after the 1st test but they proved me wrong.

Just imagine: Smith would of been a broken man if he'd had lost his last series as captain in SA.Yusuf almost put him on antidepressants for life...

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
That is bad news. Let's hope it lifts the team to deliver something special at the WC to send Kirsten off in style.
It's been tough on him, and he needs a break. He needs to go back home and spend time with his family, and he's worth it. Coaching India is no easy task, and can drain from even the best of contenders, and the task was particularly tough on him. He's done his job, and done it well, but it's time to let him go back, with full honours.

We would love to have Kirsten stay on, but does he wish to continue? They need to ask the man himself.

A new coach will be good for India, and add something new to take this team forward. Hopefully not too many (didn't work last time), but they need to move on, and move ahead.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
You can't really drop Yuvraj due to the bowling.
Yusuf is getting runs but doing as much with the ball, and better. There are so many bowlers (Praveen, Chawla, Ashwin, Harbhajan and a couple more outside this squad) who can actually bowl properly and collectively score as many runs. There is no need to keep Yuvraj for his poor bowling. He seems headed the same way as Irfan, he's even less of an all-rounder, and he'd do well to concentrate on his batting.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
What bearing does the series have on the World Cup? Not much, we guess.

These games were played in difficult batting conditions, mostly under overcast skies, in slow outfields and the bowling was a lot stronger here- not counting India's part-time rubbish. The struggles of Rohit and Vijay, as well as Patel's nearly-there act, won't affect India's World Cup march, with Sehwag, Sachin and Gambhir returning. Dhoni's struggles and Raina's patchy form will reverse once they come back to India, on the flatter decks and faster outfields. They're far better batsmen than the series suggests. Kohli and Pathan will keep up the good work.

The real area of concern, however, is the pace bowling. They're all medium-pace, and will struggle on flat decks in India. Munaf's improved performance in SA is much like in SL, profiting in difficult batting conditions. He will struggle in India, as he always did, and may be an area of weakness on flat decks. Nehra's doing worse than Ishant over the last year. Zaheer has been patchy, while Praveen, though doing better in 2010-11, has struggled in India over his career. Maybe he can score runs to make up for lack of wickets?

It's anybody's guess how Harbhajan and Yusuf will perform here. Harbhajan did well initially, but fell away in the last two matches. Yusuf has hardly been given chances, but though his bowling goes for lots of runs, he can chip away wickets regularly. Yusuf may just be India's most valuable player in the World Cup, be it hitting lots of big shots, bowling tight overs or keeping it tight in the infield.

Blaze 18

Banned
no worries mate. You are a good poster too, in fact there are many quality posters from india.

The thing is during the match i support my team 100% and a few friendly disses might fly but once the match is finished it's all friendly... Kinda like how teams go hard at each other on the pitch (no homo), but after the game they are back to being friendly towards each other.

Indian fans :india gave us one helluva fight this summer believe that.
I thought it would have been business as usual after the 1st test but they proved me wrong.

Just imagine: Smith would of been a broken man if he'd had lost his last series as captain in sa.yusuf almost put him on antidepressants for life...
:surprise:

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Best moments of the series guys?

For me:

Steyn's amazing bowling in the last test
Gambhirs battling innings in the last test
Kallis being Kallis throughout the series
Yusufs hundred in the final ODI