• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Shane Warne make a comeback???

smash84

The Tiger King
The Ashes 2010-11: Shane Warne flattered by comeback talk | Cricket News | The Ashes 2010-11 | ESPN Cricinfo

A very interesting story on cricinfo. I was quite excited to see the story because Shane Warne is probably my favorite ever Australian cricketer and along with Wasim Akram probably the most exciting bowler I have ever seen. As much as VCS is a batting fanboy, I am a bowling fan-boy.

I would like to see Warne make a comeback. He is still quite fit and he leads the Rajasthan Royals so well.

I for one would love to see him in the Ashes. What do you guys think????

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm getting a reputation it seems. :)

I'm a huge fan of Warne as well FWIW. The Ashes just isn't the same without him, but he isn't coming back.

smash84

The Tiger King
I'm getting a reputation it seems. :)

I'm a huge fan of Warne as well FWIW. The Ashes just isn't the same without him, but he isn't coming back.
I think the reputation is justified :).............and you do admit it yourself in the favorite current player from each team thread.

You didn't say should he or should he not???

Btw what does FWIW and AWTA stand for????

bagapath

International Captain
For What It is Worth and Agree With The Above

No. Shane Warne should not come back. He is not the solution. Australis needs to learn to live without him.

smash84

The Tiger King
For What It is Worth and Agree With The Above

No. Shane Warne should not come back. He is not the solution. Australis needs to learn to live without him.
Thanks for the clarification on the acronyms.

Well, don't you think it would be nice to see him come back for one series. The youngsters can gain from him being in the side and learn from a champion bowler and after the series Australia can go back and learn to live without him. I am trying to put in pretty much the same argument that you used for Imran's return post 1987 (although I only speak for one series or maybe a few more)

vcs

I don't think he should come back. Even if he makes himself available for selection, how can you pick a guy on the back of an IPL six months back? He's a legend but surely he can't be in any condition to handle the intensity of a Test match workload. Is there any precedent for something like this?

Obviously, if he was to play, the viewership of the Ashes would go up by atleast 5X though, I reckon.

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't think he should come back. Even if he makes himself available for selection, how can you pick a guy on the back of an IPL six months back? He's a legend but surely he can't be in any condition to handle the intensity of a Test match workload. Is there any precedent for something like this?

Obviously, if he was to play, the viewership of the Ashes would go up by atleast 5X though, I reckon.
There have been a few precedents I think but I think you can count them on the fingertips of one hand. And they weren't too successful IIRC.

Completely agree with the viewership part though.

vcs

The best way for Warne to help Australia going forward would be to take someone like Steve Smith (if he was to be picked) under his wing and help him with his game. Imagine the boost it would give a young leggie to have the benefit of Warne's guidance.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
In response to the question, having Warne in the team would be a bonus even if he couldn't bowl well anymore, he's captaincy 'assistance' would be much needed and he'd add more to the team than any other useless spinner we decide to let get carted

smash84

The Tiger King
In response to the question, having Warne in the team would be a bonus even if he couldn't bowl well anymore, he's captaincy 'assistance' would be much needed and he'd add more to the team than any other useless spinner we decide to let get carted
lol.....I would agree with this. He would definitely aid Ricky Ponting greatly in helping out with tactics and strategy.

And as difficult as it is to come out of retirement and play highest level cricket and few have managed to do it succesfully IMO if there is one cricketer in the world who can do that it is Shane Warne. He has that doggedness and the will to succeed that few cricketers have had. I for one would want him to return. In the last 30 years, for me, perhaps he ranks second only to Imran Khan and Viv Richards for having a great presence on the field.

And if I am asked to name one person who can lift this Aussie side I would have to say it is Shane Warne.

Blaze 18

Banned
This.

He does not have the desire to play international cricket any longer and, more importantly, he is not fit enough for test cricket. You really cannot equate playing mickey-mouse cricket for the Rajasthan Royals to playing test cricket for his country.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
This.

He does not have the desire to play international cricket any longer and, more importantly, he is not fit enough for test cricket. You really cannot equate playing mickey-mouse cricket for the Rajasthan Royals to playing test cricket for his country.
The point is he'd still offer more than any other rubbish spinner we feel obligated to pick.

bagapath

International Captain
I am trying to put in pretty much the same argument that you used for Imran's return post 1987 (although I only speak for one series or maybe a few more)
not applicable here.... australia going through a bad patch now is part of a team going through transition... bringing warne back to the team when no one knows how good he is as a cricketer these days will be a regressive step...it is not like all the quality players have left the team to play for someone like packer and they had to bring back bob simpson for a series or two...

if they dont have a quality spinner to paly in tests, they should play four pacers... warne can always be brought on as a coach so that youngsters learn the game from him.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have mixed thoughts about Warne if he made a comeback. Would love to see him back on the field, as long as he can give something near his best.

It won't happen though. For a start, how happy would Ricky be about having him in the team after comments made by Warne not so long ago about his captaincy? If you're going to gamble on Warne, then go for O'Keefe and give someone a chance who might be around for a while.

Also, if he's below his best, I don't want Bell given the chance to make himself look good.