Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Shane Warne make a comeback???

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar

Should Shane Warne make a comeback???

The Ashes 2010-11: Shane Warne flattered by comeback talk | Cricket News | The Ashes 2010-11 | ESPN Cricinfo

A very interesting story on cricinfo. I was quite excited to see the story because Shane Warne is probably my favorite ever Australian cricketer and along with Wasim Akram probably the most exciting bowler I have ever seen. As much as VCS is a batting fanboy, I am a bowling fan-boy.

I would like to see Warne make a comeback. He is still quite fit and he leads the Rajasthan Royals so well.

I for one would love to see him in the Ashes. What do you guys think????

vcs
    I'm getting a reputation it seems.

I'm a huge fan of Warne as well FWIW. The Ashes just isn't the same without him, but he isn't coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    I'm getting a reputation it seems.

I'm a huge fan of Warne as well FWIW. The Ashes just isn't the same without him, but he isn't coming back.
    I think the reputation is justified .............and you do admit it yourself in the favorite current player from each team thread.

You didn't say should he or should he not???

Btw what does FWIW and AWTA stand for????

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    For What It is Worth and Agree With The Above

No. Shane Warne should not come back. He is not the solution. Australis needs to learn to live without him.

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    For What It is Worth and Agree With The Above

No. Shane Warne should not come back. He is not the solution. Australis needs to learn to live without him.
    Thanks for the clarification on the acronyms.

Well, don't you think it would be nice to see him come back for one series. The youngsters can gain from him being in the side and learn from a champion bowler and after the series Australia can go back and learn to live without him. I am trying to put in pretty much the same argument that you used for Imran's return post 1987 (although I only speak for one series or maybe a few more)

vcs
    I don't think he should come back. Even if he makes himself available for selection, how can you pick a guy on the back of an IPL six months back? He's a legend but surely he can't be in any condition to handle the intensity of a Test match workload. Is there any precedent for something like this?

Obviously, if he was to play, the viewership of the Ashes would go up by atleast 5X though, I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    I don't think he should come back. Even if he makes himself available for selection, how can you pick a guy on the back of an IPL six months back? He's a legend but surely he can't be in any condition to handle the intensity of a Test match workload. Is there any precedent for something like this?

Obviously, if he was to play, the viewership of the Ashes would go up by atleast 5X though, I reckon.
    There have been a few precedents I think but I think you can count them on the fingertips of one hand. And they weren't too successful IIRC.

Completely agree with the viewership part though.

vcs
    The best way for Warne to help Australia going forward would be to take someone like Steve Smith (if he was to be picked) under his wing and help him with his game. Imagine the boost it would give a young leggie to have the benefit of Warne's guidance.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    He already has been helping Steve out
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    He already has been helping Steve out
    Yeah Warney was saying how he was trying to make Smith flight the ball a little more. He still bowls inaccurate darts.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    In response to the question, having Warne in the team would be a bonus even if he couldn't bowl well anymore, he's captaincy 'assistance' would be much needed and he'd add more to the team than any other useless spinner we decide to let get carted

Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    In response to the question, having Warne in the team would be a bonus even if he couldn't bowl well anymore, he's captaincy 'assistance' would be much needed and he'd add more to the team than any other useless spinner we decide to let get carted
    lol.....I would agree with this. He would definitely aid Ricky Ponting greatly in helping out with tactics and strategy.

And as difficult as it is to come out of retirement and play highest level cricket and few have managed to do it succesfully IMO if there is one cricketer in the world who can do that it is Shane Warne. He has that doggedness and the will to succeed that few cricketers have had. I for one would want him to return. In the last 30 years, for me, perhaps he ranks second only to Imran Khan and Viv Richards for having a great presence on the field.

And if I am asked to name one person who can lift this Aussie side I would have to say it is Shane Warne.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    This.

He does not have the desire to play international cricket any longer and, more importantly, he is not fit enough for test cricket. You really cannot equate playing mickey-mouse cricket for the Rajasthan Royals to playing test cricket for his country.

No

Quote Originally Posted by Debris View Post
    No
    It seems that people are over-whelmingly not in favor of his return. How can I make this a poll??? Moderators???

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information