• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's gone wrong at Somerset?

Fred Jr

Cricket Spectator
My county have been p*** poor this year, yet a 1st choice Somerset XI would rate as a decent team - this would probably be their 1st XI:

Trescothick
Bowler
Bryant
Cox
Burns
Blackwell
Turner
Johnson
Francis
Caddick
McLean

if not for injuries and international callups, but instead, when I saw them get smacked around the park by Lancashire a couple of weeks ago, the line up read:

Cox
Gazzard
Dutch
Burns
Blackwell
Parsons
Hildreth
Laraman
Johnson
Jones
McLean

and they were only saved from an absolute hammering by some good lower-order batting. With batting all the way down the order like that, and like they have had all season, you would expect them to be a better side than they are. The top order has completely failed consistently, with Jamie Cox being nowhere near his best. If you ask me, good job they are chasing Rahul Dravid and Ricky Ponting for next year. It's not the bowling department that needs reinforcing. I would also suggest that Neil Edwards gets a regular place next year - he has made some impressive scores in his few games this year. Of course, if Blackie leaves, then the whole thing will be academic, because the heart and soul of the team will have gone, so they MUST keep him. Anyone know any players who will be available for next year who might join us? Pietersen and Ward are the only definitely available players I've heard of, and they wouldn't touch us with a bargepole!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Right, I appreciate your point above because it is a good one, but its an "ideal world" scenario, and we dont live in one...

Trescothick/Caddick - I wouldnt even consider these Somerset players, because the powers that be at the ECB decide that they arent allowed to play...hardly ever in fact...

Bryant - classy and quality SA batsman, but has got the equivalent of the "yips" but for batsmen scince being at Somerset... He hasnt looked like scoring anything, and I could see him being asked to move even if he doesnt go on his own accord to try and find some runs....

Although he is a good player, Blackwell is not the heart and soul of the team, it doesnt have a heart and soul.. That becomes apparent when they are getting beaten badly...

Cox - Hasnt been of the class of Hussey/Di Venuto for a couple of years, living on borrowed time IMO

Loads of bowling injuries scattered throughout the season, and the team is left lacking, like the one you saw against Lancashire...

Burns has been criticized, unfairly IMO... and people have been wondering why somerset have been so poor for two seasons now... Its simple, if you have a mediocre final XI you will usually get beaten..its not rocket science!

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
hmm..well al the points seem to be more or less addressed...but the team on paper [or internet] can easily be a lot from the team out there playing shyte

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
Methinks Munday might aspire to be Shane Warne (role model for his style of bowling?)
Oh most definitely, but I don't think he should be looking to someone like Anil Kumble because he doesnt really have a proper bowling style :lol: