• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rahul Dravid and Ricky Ponting 2007 Onwards

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid :-

41 Matches, 2845 runs, average 43.10, 8 100s and 13 50s

Ponting :-

41 Matches, 2988 runs, average 43.30, 6 100s and 20 50s.

Amazing similarity in their post peak careers.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid's been a bit worse than Ponting. Ponting has been more consistent away from home and hasn't really looked as out of touch as Dravid, who really has looked as bad as he's batted at times. Ponting really doesn't have a bad record against any country in this time bar NZ but not superlative either. The end of the Ashes will say more about how he is at the moment.

Spark

Global Moderator
Dravid's been a bit worse than Ponting. Ponting has been more consistent away from home and hasn't really looked as out of touch as Dravid, who really has looked as bad as he's batted at times. Ponting really doesn't have a bad record against any country in this time bar NZ but not superlative either. The end of the Ashes will say more about how he is at the moment.
The main difference with Ponting's batting is just his conversion rate, really, which has suddenly become quite poor. Idiocy like runouts haven't helped that.

One thing hasn't changed though, and that is the legion of ****s who will denigrate him at the slightest opportunity...

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The main difference with Ponting's batting is just his conversion rate, really, which has suddenly become quite poor. Idiocy like runouts haven't helped that.

One thing hasn't changed though, and that is the legion of ****s who will denigrate him at the slightest opportunity...
Yes, true.

Agree with the conversion rate; he's had 20 50s in 71 innings.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah once upon a time instead of 5:20 it would be more like 10:15 or thereabouts...

Shri

Mr. Glass
I can't seem to notice it but has either of the players' reflexes slowed down during this time?

Shri

Mr. Glass
I get the feeling that Dravid's backfoot technique to bouncers used to be quicker a few years ago than now. The way he used to jump up and play defensive shots to throat high bouncers? I don't see those too often now.

TumTum

Banned
Reflex argument is over-rated, it won't start to deteriorate before a really old age. Players just lose form and don't have the determination and motivation to regain it near the end of their careers.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Reflex argument is over-rated, it won't start to deteriorate before a really old age. Players just lose form and don't have the determination and motivation to regain it near the end of their careers.
Viv Richards...

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If they have lost all determination and motivation, why don't they just retire?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps in responding to calls. Not noticed it too much with Ponting.
LOL.

As Spark implies; the hardest thing to come to grips with Ponting's form is that he doesn't look out of touch. His pull shot has gotten a lot of attention but I think it's been a bit overstated. Since the break before the India series he actually looked in very good physical shape - reports were he'd had hit the gym big-time.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
LOL.

As Spark implies; the hardest thing to come to grips with Ponting's form is that he doesn't look out of touch. His pull shot has gotten a lot of attention but I think it's been a bit overstated. Since the break before the India series he actually looked in very good physical shape - reports were he'd had hit the gym big-time.
Think he is struggling with the fact that he has to lead a rather mediocre side.. As the cricinfo article stated the other day, he is trying too much. He thinks he is into a game of chess while England are simply playing draughts.. And I think that is taking away a big chunk of his concentration and hence his batting, while looking fluent, is actually falling away.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I agree completely. I think he'd be less affected if he wasn't captain and could just concentrate on his batting.