• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rahul Dravid and Ricky Ponting 2007 Onwards

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ponting's down to 25th in the ICC batting rankings, first time he's been out of the top 20 for nearly a decade.

Maximus0723

State Regular
I don't like the notion that Ponting plays top class bowling less than Dravid.
If anything I think Ponting plays weaker attacks worst than Dravid.

Evermind

International Debutant
I agree completely. I think he'd be less affected if he wasn't captain and could just concentrate on his batting.
Or, if he were a captain to a much better side - one that didn't really need captaincy, like one that contained Gilchrist, Hayden, McGrath, Warne.

centurymaker

International Captain
I don't like the notion that Ponting plays top class bowling less than Dravid.
If anything I think Ponting plays weaker attacks worst than Dravid.
Disagree, Ponting does have trouble against decent spin and swing bowling, especially early on in his innings.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The thing is that was the off-break that didn't spin. Didn't understand your second sentence.
Don't think so... It was the straighter one and could have been picked off on action or at least off the wicket.. The second part basically means Ponting himself has picked and adjusted to such deliveries in the past, against blokes like Murali.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mmm. I think teams have bowled a lot better to Ricky Ponting lately than they did when he was at his peak. Teams don't deliberately bowl straight to him anymore, and they tend to see him as the key wicket because of his status in the game, even if his form doesn't really justify it. Just thinking back, he's been up against an unusual amount of fierce spells of bowling in the last couple of years and got out to some properly good deliveries.

I'd say that and his pull shot going to poo are the two major factors. He's still scoring a respectable amount of runs though.

vcs

Mmm. I think teams have bowled a lot better to Ricky Ponting lately than they did when he was at his peak. Teams don't deliberately bowl straight to him anymore, and they tend to see him as the key wicket because of his status in the game, even if his form doesn't really justify it. Just thinking back, he's been up against an unusual amount of fierce spells of bowling in the last couple of years and got out to some properly good deliveries.

I'd say that and his pull shot going to poo are the two major factors. He's still scoring a respectable amount of runs though.
I think Ponting's been seen as Australia's best batsman ever since Steve Waugh retired, TBH. Even with the presence of Hayden, Langer, Gilchrist, peak Hussey etc.

Uppercut

Well yeah, but he hasn't necessarily been specifically targeted. Fielding teams visibly perk up when he arrives at the crease these days.

bagapath

International Captain
it is very important for ponting to continue to play for australia and lead them too even if australia loses the ashes and the world cup over the next few months. I dont think pup is fully ready to take over from him. and there is no replacement for ponting as a batsman yet. if ponting's test average drops below 50 in the process of guiding this inexperienced team over a tough time like this, then it is even better.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

In other words, what you are saying is that being THE great batsman in a relatively weak team increases your likelihood of facing up to more top class bowling? :p

vcs

In other words, what you are saying is that being THE great batsman in a relatively weak team increases your likelihood of facing up to more top class bowling? :p
I don't buy that theory at all TBH. When Ponting was in his prime, he was riding out those same testing spells and belting bowlers all over the park once he got set.