• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Anderson -Finally World Class?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Been world class for the last 2 years IMO, depending on your definition of that phrase. He was always fairly dangerous, he's just become a lot tighter in the second half of his career. Has hit a rich vein of form this year, making him the best swing bowler in the world right now.

First 27 Tests (2003-08)

95 wickets at 35.06; economy 3.66; strike rate 57.3; five 5w hauls

Next 27 Tests (2008-10)

99 wickets at 28.32; economy 2.95; strike rate 57.5; five 5w hauls

In 2010:

10 Tests; 46 wickets at 21.21; economy 2.71; strike rate 46.8; three 5w hauls.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
With Asif suspended he'd now make my World XI - just ahead of Zaheer. That makes him world class in my book.

Howe_zat

Audio File
With Asif suspended he'd now make my World XI - just ahead of Zaheer. That makes him world class in my book.
I think you're right but I'd take Zaheer anyway. Seam attack Steyn, Jimmy, Zak - one pace, one swing, one leftie. (Also Kallis)

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think you're right but I'd take Zaheer anyway. Seam attack Steyn, Jimmy, Zak - one pace, one swing, one leftie. (Also Kallis)
Dougeh. :ph34r:

Seriously, I wouldn't pick three new ball swing bowlers. Zaheer gets reverse as well I know, but I'd like something a bit different.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bowling well in Australia, and ensuring that his figures reflect it (i.e. not another Ishant Sharma) puts him in a very exclusive club. I think he's world-class now.

kingkallis

International Coach
Him and Zaheer Khan has pretty similar career IMO. They have been OK for first half of their career and now they have developed a handy rhythm and bowling really well.

Bowling average, SR, ER ( in both ODIs and tests ) as well as batting average. ;)

Shri

Mr. Glass
Mark my words ****s! Atul Sharma is still going to swoop down upon you and steal your babies when you are expecting it the least.:ph34r:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
All credit to Anderson. To me he has become world class and shed of the notion where people started saying he only bowls well in bowling conditions or a pitch which has something in it...

The way he bowled in both tests so far in the Ashes has been phenomenal and those were far from being bowling friendly tracks.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just realised I could actually name a World XI containing Anderson, Bollinger and Swann without it being ridiculed as completely ridiculous or biased. Hell, I could even make some sort of case for including Watson as a batting allrounder. Good times. The cricket world is just coming up Cribbage at the moment.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just realised I could actually name a World XI containing Anderson, Bollinger and Swann without it being ridiculed as completely ridiculous or biased. Hell, I could even make some sort of case for including Watson as a batting allrounder. Good times. The cricket world is just coming up Cribbage at the moment.
Ribs for arvo tea imo.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Been world class for the last 2 years IMO, depending on your definition of that phrase. He was always fairly dangerous, he's just become a lot tighter in the second half of his career. Has hit a rich vein of form this year, making him the best swing bowler in the world right now.

First 27 Tests (2003-08)

95 wickets at 35.06; economy 3.66; strike rate 57.3; five 5w hauls

Next 27 Tests (2008-10)

99 wickets at 28.32; economy 2.95; strike rate 57.5; five 5w hauls

In 2010:

10 Tests; 46 wickets at 21.21; economy 2.71; strike rate 46.8; three 5w hauls.
Ask me in four weeks' time. His 2010 figures are stellar, but four games in really helpful conditions against a fragile Pakistan lineup plus another 2 or 3 against Bangladesh could make a lot of bowlers look world class. Some of us remember that he wasn't all that great in SA last winter and that he struggled for much of the 2009 Ashes series.

However, if he keeps bowling like he has done in thge first two tests in this series, then fair enough.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
He's been good so far, but he could still fall apart at some point during the ashes. Might want to bump this thread later.

Obviously he's technically excellent as a new ball bowler, so will nearly always be dangerous.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Ask me in four weeks' time. His 2010 figures are stellar, but four games in really helpful conditions against a fragile Pakistan lineup plus another 2 or 3 against Bangladesh could make a lot of bowlers look world class. Some of us remember that he wasn't all that great in SA last winter and that he struggled for much of the 2009 Ashes series.

However, if he keeps bowling like he has done in thge first two tests in this series, then fair enough.
even though I agree Pakistan batted poorly in England but the swing that Anderson got there would have troubled even the Sachin's or the Kallis's.Heck his spell this morning accounted for Ponting and Clarke and he was not even getting half the movement which he got in England

smash84

The Tiger King
even though I agree Pakistan batted poorly in England but the swing that Anderson got there would have troubled even the Sachin's or the Kallis's.Heck his spell this morning accounted for Ponting and Clarke and he was not even getting half the movement which he got in England
To get batsmen out you usually don't need banana swing. A little movement is very good to find the edge (like McGrath) and that's what accounted for Clarke and Ponting.