• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test batsman to play 15<x<30 tests in modern times

deeps

International 12th Man
Everyone goes on about the best test batsman ever, and it's always Don Bradman, followed by a long list of almost equal players, who all have a claim to the number 2 position.

What would be interesting though, is to see who everyone rates to be the best batsman in the modern era (let's say post 1985), to have played between 15 and 30 tests. Why did they play so few?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jesse Ryder IMO.

Vinod Kambli is not a bad shout either, though I believe he had technical deficiencies in his game which would have been exposed in a big way had he played much more.

deeps

International 12th Man
Jesse Ryder is still playing though...

I forgot about Kambli, he would have to be right up there

Shri

Mr. Glass
Jesse Ryder is still playing though...

I forgot about Kambli, he would have to be right up there
Yeah, back to back double hundreds in tests and played with superb flair. Had the shots to make Sachin Tendulkar look boring when he was on top gear. I remember reasons for his downfall were disciplinary.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, back to back double hundreds in tests and played with superb flair. Had the shots to make Sachin Tendulkar look boring when he was on top gear. I remember reasons for his downfall were disciplinary.
He was very good, but I believe he would have eventually regressed to a Ganguly-level rather than a Tendulkar or even Dravid level even if he had not had those disciplinary problems.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Chris Broad
Shoaib Mohammed
Vinod Khambli
Darren Lehmann
Scott Styris
Andrew Symonds
Shahid Afridi
Chris Read
Stuart Clark
Mohammed Asif
Shane Bond

Edit: Matthews played 33 tests.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
He was very good, but I believe he would have eventually regressed to a Ganguly-level rather than a Tendulkar or even Dravid level even if he had not had those disciplinary problems.
He averaged 60 in FC and made close to 10,000 runs. He would have done well this decade at 5 or 6 but him not having a long career was good for us in the end. Wouldn't have been as good as Dravid or Laxman obviously and you can't drop Ganguly.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Chris Broad
Darren Lehmann
Greg Matthews
Vinod Khambli
Scott Styris
Andrew Symonds
Shahid Afridi
Chris Read
Stuart Clark
Mohammed Asif
Shane Bond
Bond was the first one I thought of too but this thread specifically asked for batsmen.:p

Teja.

Global Moderator
About Ganguly, While him being made captain obv. was more beneficial to the team, I think it killed him as a batsman, He was almost kissing greatness and averaged 50(?) in the 90s where some 3-4 other blokes did and then regressed into this Marcus North-ish batsman for a long while.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
By the end of the 90's I was pretty sure Ganguly would end up better than Dravid in both forms of the game. I think Kolkata 2001 was the turning point for Dravid, to a lesser extent than for Laxman.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
About Ganguly, While him being made captain obv. was more beneficial to the team, I think it killed him as a batsman, He was almost kissing greatness and averaged 50(?) in the 90s where some 3-4 other blokes did and then regressed into this Marcus North-ish batsman for a long while.
Awta so much.