• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Number of Teams for NZ Domestic Comp

Number of Teams

• Total voters

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Initially we just had 4 teams playing first class cricket then it was expanded to 6.

Do you think an expansion or a contraction is in order - or just leave it the way it is.

Case for contraction
There are not enough quality bowlers around to challenge our top batsman meaning that people like Sinclair and Ingram can destroy domestic attacks but look hopeless against International bowling. One could argue that it would be hard for a youngster to get a game in this set up - but if you were good enough you would get a look in. There would have to be a strong second XI competition to accompany this.

Case for expansion
I think we could support 8 teams perhaps. To do this you might have to raise the quota on the number of foreign players allowed into the Plunket shield competition and encourage older players not to retire. More younger players would get a go. And one or two of these prospects would turn out to be the real deal.

Case for keeping it the same
Expanding to 8 teams would dilute the standard of FC cricket and people like Sinclair would have averages of 70 for the season.
Contracting to 4 teams would cost too many young players their chance at success and they will turn away to other pursuits instead of staying with the cricket path.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Six is definitely the right number IMO. Four would be ridiculous - that's only 3 opponents for each team and encourages players to rely too much on familiarity. The idea that this would strengthen the competition by concentrating the best players in a few teams is a load of rubbish IMO - you'd just end up with domestic stalwarts (the Papps, Sinclair, Mason, Aldridge types) dominating the lineups for all teams even more. Eight teams is too dilute.

Five or seven might be ok, but of course with an odd number of teams you have byes which are annoying. I think six is just the best number.

Blocky

Banned
Six - look at how many rugby teams this country can support. We just need to get player numbers up and get more players through to this level.

I think if anything though, if they were going to expand, I'd like to see a North Island Under 23s and a South Island Under 23s emerge and play in the first class competition, giving players like Andy Mathieson, Anurag Verma and co a start in first class cricket.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I don't have a problem with the number of teams...I'd like to see more varied pitches to match those around the world, at least give our guys a real chance of knowing how to bowl and bat on anything more than a green top.

brockley

International Captain
I'd like to see an aussie side based in tasmania for aussie juniors,so 7 sides.

Last edited:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Initially we just had 4 teams playing first class cricket then it was expanded to 6.

Do you think an expansion or a contraction is in order - or just leave it the way it is.

Case for contraction
There are not enough quality bowlers around to challenge our top batsman meaning that people like Sinclair and Ingram can destroy domestic attacks but look hopeless against International bowling. One could argue that it would be hard for a youngster to get a game in this set up - but if you were good enough you would get a look in. There would have to be a strong second XI competition to accompany this.

Case for expansion
I think we could support 8 teams perhaps. To do this you might have to raise the quota on the number of foreign players allowed into the Plunket shield competition and encourage older players not to retire. More younger players would get a go. And one or two of these prospects would turn out to be the real deal.

Case for keeping it the same
Expanding to 8 teams would dilute the standard of FC cricket and people like Sinclair would have averages of 70 for the season.
Contracting to 4 teams would cost too many young players their chance at success and they will turn away to other pursuits instead of staying with the cricket path.

It seemed your whole purpose in this exercise was to demonstrate that no matter what set up you decide upon including the current one... that Sinclair is always going to be a factor..:laugh:

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
Reckon having a North and South Island team joining up with the aussie comp would do some good, might be hard for youngsters to come through though

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It seemed your whole purpose in this exercise was to demonstrate that no matter what set up you decide upon including the current one... that Sinclair is always going to be a factor..:laugh:
Good observation.

he wouldn't score so heavily in a four team competition. So if the sole goal is to challenge him further and stop him - then that is the best option to choose.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yes he would.

Sinclair can play against the best in the world easily, his problem is entirely mental and far less to do with a higher standard of competition.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Need to increase the number of teams. Then, we can have two Wellington teams. Wellington Australians and Proper Wellington.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yes he would.

Sinclair can play against the best in the world easily, his problem is entirely mental and far less to do with a higher standard of competition.
I don';t know whether you are right or not Athlai. I have seen him play in a test against Bangers. And he didn't commit to his shots properly or play with authority.

Just to play devils advocate - if his problems are mental why has the team psychologist been unable to help him. Not to mention the coaching staff.

Flem274*

123/5
Because psychologists don't always work.

Sinclair is a bloody good batsman, he's outscored all the NZ test batsmen in FC cricket during his time by a massive margin and you can point to glimpses in his test career where he showed what he can do, that big century against South Africa when we were dead and buried (next highest score was 30 odd) being the best example.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don';t know whether you are right or not Athlai. I have seen him play in a test against Bangers. And he didn't commit to his shots properly or play with authority.
Well that's the point isn't it? Bangladesh, especially when he played them, weren't very good - yet he still failed. It shows it had little to do with the quality of the opposition because he's probably scored mammoth runs against better attacks than that in domestic cricket - it's mainly been in his head.