Thread: The Hawkeye Effect

The Hawkeye Effect

When I was watching Hilfenhaus rap Strauss on the pads, first ball of the second innings, I started thinking again of the effect that Hawkeye has had on cricket and umpires especially.

Five years ago, there is no doubt that it would be given out LBW. Leaving the ball, hit well in front on or around the knee roll - thanks for coming. The benefit of the doubt would almost go to the bowler in that circumstance; you have a bat, use it! However, now, if that had've been given out, then people would decry it as a bad decision.

In a way, it evens itself out, as it's becoming an especially effective tool for spinners and LBW shouts. It has also, in general, made umpires a lot more aware of height when deciding upon LBW appeals. But it lets batsman get away with more when they don't use their stick, something that I don't agree with at all.

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    SEN was rampant last night with this topic. I dunno, i'm sure Strauss would not have been upset if it was given out, and there was no review system, poor judgement it was indeed. It looked bad live, but these days a lot of balls that looked out in previous years have been shown to be incorrect. Front on views are always tough to judge the height on, they can look so out and look dead out but you cant see how far the batsman is out of his crease for instance. Ive got no problem with the Strauss one, but maybe I should??

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    I'd normally agree, but Strauss was right up on his toes, so there was a good 2 or 3 inches extra in it. I've seen those not given, but I do agree that he would have been more likely to have been given out in the past.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Eagle Eye*
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Hawkeye has definitely changed our perception of what is or isn't LBW, but I have to be honest & say I thought it was a very duff referral first up, was always heading over for my quid. I'm guessing Ponting got a little caught up in the moment of wanting to bag his opposite number for a pair.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Hawkeye has definitely changed our perception of what is or isn't LBW, but I have to be honest & say I thought it was a very duff referral first up, was always heading over for my quid. I'm guessing Ponting got a little caught up in the moment of wanting to bag his opposite number for a pair.
    I thought the same. And with Strauss so far back in his crease and the bat nowhere to be seen, if it's hitting the stumps, the umpire's going to give it.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    When I was watching Hilfenhaus rap Strauss on the pads, first ball of the second innings, I started thinking again of the effect that Hawkeye has had on cricket and umpires especially.

Five years ago, there is no doubt that it would be given out LBW. Leaving the ball, hit well in front on or around the knee roll - thanks for coming. The benefit of the doubt would almost go to the bowler in that circumstance; you have a bat, use it! However, now, if that had've been given out, then people would decry it as a bad decision.

In a way, it evens itself out, as it's becoming an especially effective tool for spinners and LBW shouts. It has also, in general, made umpires a lot more aware of height when deciding upon LBW appeals. But it lets batsman get away with more when they don't use their stick, something that I don't agree with at all.
    Hawkeye has taught us all, and umpires in particular, that the stumps are a lot shorter and wider than we ever thought.

Disagree quite strongly with the "punish the batsman for a bad leave" tendency which used to afflict umpires, and sometimes still does. Either it's hitting or it's missing, and if it's missing it's not out. There's no room for moralising really.

(But if we did want to get moralising about it, we might say that bowlers should learn to pitch the ball up more, which would be no bad thing)

Thread Information