• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stats that make you go Hmmmmm

Ruckus

International Captain
It works both ways. MOM is rarely given to a player from the losing side. So, players like Tendulkar or Lara would be a little hard done by the fact that they played for a relatively weak team for a considerable period of their career.
Doesn't really make sense. If they are many other match winners in the team, yes that means the team will win more often, but Ponting would still have to be the 'chief destroyer' to get the award. That was my point to begin with. Even in the presence of e.g. Warne and Mcgrath, who almost always would contribute to a victory, Ponting still has done enough to surpass their performances.

sayanranu

Cricket Spectator
India a weak team:blink:
Throughout the 90s, India were never dominating outside home. The performances improved slightly once Dravid, and Ganguly arrived on the scene in 1996. The real turnaround started once Ganguly became the captain in 2000.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think Ponting is mighty impressive in that list. Played with so many other match winners in his team for most of his career (both bowling and batting stars), yet he still has 16 man of the match awards.
It is impressive but I am more impressed with Warne. With runs, it's not so much a case of how many others your teammates make will limit you. Whereas with wickets your competition in the side directly affect the kind of impact you can have with your discipline.

Ruckus

International Captain
It is impressive but I am more impressed with Warne. With runs, it's not so much a case of how many others your teammates make will limit you. Whereas with wickets your competition in the side directly affect the kind of impact you can have with your discipline.
Yeah that's true, but I was referring to the competition from other outstanding perfomances in a match. E.g. in a typical match with McGrath and Warne at least one of them usually puts up some excellent bowling figures, and then there are top batsmen like Hayden, Gilchrist, Martyn, Langer etc. who will also give Ponting a run for his money - yet he still manages to scalp many of the awards, which shows he must be doing someone pretty special quite often.

Of course, though. the same applies to any other players who happened to be part of the 'golden era' of Australian cricket. Warne had to compete with many star players as well for a lot of his career, so it is indeed just as impressive for him. I guess you could argue as well there is a more of a bias to give man of the match awards to batsmen than bowlers.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Punter- I will never listen to anyone putting him down with some dumb stats argument, he's the best Aussie batsman since Bradman, bloody champion.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Actually, if you take it down to a stats argument he's pretty much as good as anyone has ever been apart from Bradman. Personally, from what I've read about Chappell and looking at his figures he seems to have the best shout. Ponting might have it by the end of his career.

Actually, if you take it down to a stats argument he's pretty much as good as anyone has ever been apart from Bradman. Personally, from what I've read about Chappell and looking at his figures he seems to have the best shout. Ponting might have it by the end of his career.
:lol: u need to start watching players from other teams.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
:lol: u need to start watching players from other teams.
Maybe you should actually read the posts. We were talking about the best Aussie batsmen since Bradman. You don't look at batsmen of WI, Pak and Ind for the best AUSSIE batsman since Bradman.

Even aside from that your post is a waste. There is no batsman other than Bradman that Ponting doesn't stack up with. None. You can have your preferences but he is a fair match-up for any other batsman.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Kallis
MOTM every 7.1 matches.

Ambrose
MOTM every 7.0 matches

Murali
MOTM every 7.0 matches

Wasim
MOTM every 6.1 matches

Swann
MOTM every 5.0 matches.

Swann > Wasim > Ambrose=Murali > Kallis
Swann's frequency will get higher the way things are moving. He did look quite ordinary in Australia. Wasim's MOM stats are gun.

Yeah Warne's performance is quite impressive with the kind of matchwinners that he played with during most of his career both bowling as well as batting wise there were so many who could steal the Man of the match award.

Wasim's Man of Match award after every 6 tests is awesome and considering he played a fair number of tests with Waqar alongside him and still managed to win so many awards compared to only 6 for Waqar.