Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stats that make you go Hmmmmm

(tosser) "Jacques Kallis is not a match winner".

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    (tosser) "Jacques Kallis is not a match winner".
    Tbf though I think most people would be saying that with regards to his batting per se. The reason he is the top of that list is obviously because he is an allrounder. Though I have no doubt Kallis would win many matches with his batting alone.

I think Ponting is mighty impressive in that list. Played with so many other match winners in his team for most of his career (both bowling and batting stars), yet he still has 16 man of the match awards.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    I think Ponting is mighty impressive in that list. Played with so many other match winners in his team for most of his career (both bowling and batting stars), yet he still has 16 man of the match awards.
    It works both ways. MOM is rarely given to a player from the losing side. So, players like Tendulkar or Lara would be a little hard done by the fact that they played for a relatively weak team for a considerable period of their career.

Quote Originally Posted by sayanranu View Post
    It works both ways. MOM is rarely given to a player from the losing side. So, players like Tendulkar or Lara would be a little hard done by the fact that they played for a relatively weak team for a considerable period of their career.
    India a weak team

Quote Originally Posted by sayanranu View Post
    Doesn't really make sense. If they are many other match winners in the team, yes that means the team will win more often, but Ponting would still have to be the 'chief destroyer' to get the award. That was my point to begin with. Even in the presence of e.g. Warne and Mcgrath, who almost always would contribute to a victory, Ponting still has done enough to surpass their performances.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ Guy View Post
    India a weak team
    Throughout the 90s, India were never dominating outside home. The performances improved slightly once Dravid, and Ganguly arrived on the scene in 1996. The real turnaround started once Ganguly became the captain in 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Fielding records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

I realise it's not a particularly important stat.. but still

Does anybody else know of any random, quirky stats? For example Marcus North's average when he comes to the crease with Australia <150 (looking at you Howard).
    McCullum having a higher ratio of wicketkeeping dismissals than Dujon is

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post
    McCullum having a higher ratio of wicketkeeping dismissals than Dujon is
    Dujon just didn't have an attack to give him the opportunities.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    All those Viv and Hooper overs!

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    It is impressive but I am more impressed with Warne. With runs, it's not so much a case of how many others your teammates make will limit you. Whereas with wickets your competition in the side directly affect the kind of impact you can have with your discipline.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    It is impressive but I am more impressed with Warne. With runs, it's not so much a case of how many others your teammates make will limit you. Whereas with wickets your competition in the side directly affect the kind of impact you can have with your discipline.
    Yeah that's true, but I was referring to the competition from other outstanding perfomances in a match. E.g. in a typical match with McGrath and Warne at least one of them usually puts up some excellent bowling figures, and then there are top batsmen like Hayden, Gilchrist, Martyn, Langer etc. who will also give Ponting a run for his money - yet he still manages to scalp many of the awards, which shows he must be doing someone pretty special quite often.

Of course, though. the same applies to any other players who happened to be part of the 'golden era' of Australian cricket. Warne had to compete with many star players as well for a lot of his career, so it is indeed just as impressive for him. I guess you could argue as well there is a more of a bias to give man of the match awards to batsmen than bowlers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information