• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best all time XI for each country

deeps

International 12th Man
Which team would win? I've put together three teams so far

Australia
Victor Trumper
Arthur Morris
Don Bradman
Alam Border
Steve Waugh
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Craig McDermott
Glen Mcgrath

12th: Bill O Reilly / Ricky Ponting

India
Sunil Gavaskar
Vijay Merchant
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Vijay Hazare
Kapil Dev
MS Dhoni
Anil Kumble
Javagal Srinath
Zaheer Khan
Erapalli Prasanna

Pakistan
Saeed Anwar
Hanif Mohammad
Zaheer Abbas
Javed Miandad
Inzamam Ul Haq
Imran Khan
Imtiaz Ahmed
Wasim Akram
Sarfraz Nawaq
Abdul Qadir
Waqar Younis

12th = Mohammed Yousuf/ Fazal Mahmood

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Aus: Waugh out, Punter in. Allan border the skippy.

India: Vijay Merchant out, Sehwag in. Dhoni in an all time test XI sounds out of place. Probably Contractor/Kirmani should be there.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Finally, a All-Time XI thread.

I sent a link of this thread to cricinfo. Hope they do a series like this.
Thanks for the idea OP.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Which team would win? I've put together three teams so far

Australia
Victor Trumper
Arthur Morris
Don Bradman
Alam Border
Steve Waugh
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Craig McDermott
Glen Mcgrath

12th: Bill O Reilly / Ricky Ponting
There's something about this team that doesn't seem quite right.

Victor Trumper
Arthur Morris
Don Bradman
Alan Border
Marcus North
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Craig McDermott
Glenn Mcgrath

Ah. Much better.

Zinzan

Been done to death this topic, Australia easily of the 3 teams, followed by Pakistan.

All-time West Indies & England (or perhaps even South Africa) teams would be closer to Australia

Bun

Banned
Australia is the best team on paper there, but if it's played on a dustbowl, i'd fancy India.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Been done to death this topic, Australia easily of the 3 teams, followed by Pakistan.

All-time West Indies & England (or perhaps even South Africa) teams would be closer to Australia
I don't think there's much in it at all between Australia's and England's all time teams. England comfortably have the better bowling lineup and their batting would be on equal footing too if not for Bradman, who evens the whole thing up considerably.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
AUS XI: I will have Alan Davidson instead of McDermot. Chappel in place of S Waugh. Not sure about Trumper and Morris either

Pak XI: I will have either Fazal Mehmood or Saqlain Mushtaq in place of Sarfaraz

Ind XI: Merchant is a great choice but perhaps would have to give it to Sehwag now. I will definitely find a place for Vinoo Mankad in place of either Zaheer or Prasanna.

Last edited:

deeps

International 12th Man
Aus: Waugh out, Punter in. Allan border the skippy.

India: Vijay Merchant out, Sehwag in. Dhoni in an all time test XI sounds out of place. Probably Contractor/Kirmani should be there.

Waugh made his runs against the likes of Ambrose, Walsh, Akram, Younis, Donald, Pollock etc. on tough batting wickets.

Punter made his runs against Chris Martin, Stuart Broad, Ashish Nehra etc. on flat tracks. I'm not saying Ponting isn't a good batsman, but Waugh did it against much tougher opposition, and more importantly made the runs when the team needed them.

Dhoni was a contentious choice but comparing the batting of the past indian keepers, they really weren't up to scratch, with the exception of Mongia.

I'd still take Merchant over Sehwag too.

deeps

International 12th Man

I don't know enough about past england or west indies players prior to the 80's to really make a team, but would love to see someone elses to compare

Zinzan

The Windies are perhaps the most challenging of the All time XI's to choose, so many great players. I'd probably have to play batsmen out of position to include players such as Richards, Lara, Headley, Weekes, Walcott, Worrell, Sobers etc. Might have a crack at my AT WI team later on.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't know enough about past england or west indies players prior to the 80's to really make a team, but would love to see someone elses to compare
1. Hobbs
2. Hutton
3. Sutcliffe
4. Hammond
5. Barrington
6. Ames
7. Botham
8. Laker
9. Trueman
10. Barnes
11. Lohmann

12. Pratt :p

England's all-time team is extremely, extremely debatable though. Rhodes, Underwood, Larwood, Knott, Cowdrey etc often get picked by pundits. The only real certainties are Hobbs, Hammond and Botham.

Howe_zat

Audio File
True, this topic has been covered pretty extensively. Anyway, the Windies side comes out on top if you ask me.

Greenidge
Headley
Richards (c)
Lara
Weekes
Sobers
Walcott (wk)
Marshall
Holding
Ambrose
Hall

And that's leaving out Haynes, Worrel, Kallicharan, Kanhai, Dujon, Hendricks, Croft, Roberts, Garner, Walsh, Gibbs, Ramadhin, etc.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
1. Hobbs
2. Hutton
3. Sutcliffe
4. Hammond
5. Barrington
6. Ames
7. Botham
8. Laker
9. Trueman
10. Barnes
11. Lohmann

12. Pratt :p

England's all-time team is extremely, extremely debatable though. Rhodes, Underwood, Larwood, Knott, Cowdrey etc often get picked by pundits. The only real certainties are Hobbs, Hammond and Botham.
No Compton? Would play him ahead of Sutcliffe.