• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best all time XI for each country

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
If Rice is dropped to take a bowler, I shall take Dale Steyn ahead of Pollock father-son. And not playing test cricket isn't an issue in case of Rice because of many reasons (everyone knows how he performed against the best of oppositions, how the great alrounders of that generation rated him, and nobody should have a doubt that he could have played close to 100 tests if...). And I already have one quality spinner in Faulkner. Adcock, to me, is among 2 best bowlers South Africa has ever produced, alongwith Allan Donald (and arguably better than Donald, too).
Don't know a great deal about Rice tbh. But Faulkner, while a great all-rounder, as a bowler wasn't exactly very potent as I found here. He is at best Vettori class. Tayfield on the other hand is far better. Nevertheless, endless debates those. My team will look like this:

Bruce Mitchell
Barry Richards
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
Aubrey Faulkner
Dennis Lindsay (wk)
Mike Procter
Shaun Pollock
Hugh Tayfield
Allan Donald

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
India all-time ODI side

1) Sourav Ganguly
2) Sachin Tendulkar
3) MS Dhoni
4) Mohammad Azharuddin
5) Yuvraj Singh
6) Rahul Dravid
7) Kapil Dev
8) Anil Kumble
9) Bishen Singh Bedi
10)Javagal Srinath
11)Zaheer Khan

Howe_zat

Audio File
England ODI XI

Gooch (c)
Trescothick
Stewart (wk)
Pietersen
Lamb
Collingwood
Flintoff
Botham
Swann
Gough
Willis

Australia ODI XI is the closest one of these to actually exist.

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Waugh
Jones
Bevan
Symonds
Warne
Lee
Lillee
McGrath

(Swap Jones for Mark Waugh and Lillee for Bracken, that XI probably played)

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scotland

Eric Russell
Archie Jackson
Mike Denness
Douglas Jardine*
James Aitchison
Jimmy Allan
Tony Greig
Alec Kennedy
Gregor McGregor+
Ian Peebles
Dave Larter

If you're insisting on them being Scottish born then replace Greig and Jardine with Gavin Hamilton and Brian Hardie

G.I.Joe

International Coach
lol! Who ?!
Bapu Nadkarni | India Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Batsmen faced with the problem of playing Bapu Nadkarni's left-arm spin had two scoring options to choose from: nil and negligible. Nadkarni was one of the game's most noted economists ever - he gave away just 1.67 runs per over over in his Test career. In the 1960-61 series against Pakistan, he returned figures of 32-24-23-0 at Kanpur followed by 34-24-24-1 at Delhi. He crowned that with Test cricket's finest display of quantity-control bowling, with 21 successive maidens in his 32-27-5-0 against England at Madras in 1964. His legendary parsimony and precision were the result of untiring research and development in the nets - he would bowl endlessly at a coin placed on a good length. Although he is mainly remembered for his bowling, Nadkarni was actually a competent allrounder. An obstinate batsman with a pronounced crouching stance, he scored 52 and 122, both not out, against England at Kanpur in 1963-64, and in his next outing, against Australia at Chennai, he came up with his Test best bowling effort: 5-31 and 6-91. And with a first-class average of more than 40, and an innings of 283 not out for Bombay v Delhi to his credit, he'd have been an automatic pick if one-day cricket had been around in his time.

Blaze 18

Banned
Bapu Nadkarni | India Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Batsmen faced with the problem of playing Bapu Nadkarni's left-arm spin had two scoring options to choose from: nil and negligible. Nadkarni was one of the game's most noted economists ever - he gave away just 1.67 runs per over over in his Test career. In the 1960-61 series against Pakistan, he returned figures of 32-24-23-0 at Kanpur followed by 34-24-24-1 at Delhi. He crowned that with Test cricket's finest display of quantity-control bowling, with 21 successive maidens in his 32-27-5-0 against England at Madras in 1964. His legendary parsimony and precision were the result of untiring research and development in the nets - he would bowl endlessly at a coin placed on a good length. Although he is mainly remembered for his bowling, Nadkarni was actually a competent allrounder. An obstinate batsman with a pronounced crouching stance, he scored 52 and 122, both not out, against England at Kanpur in 1963-64, and in his next outing, against Australia at Chennai, he came up with his Test best bowling effort: 5-31 and 6-91. And with a first-class average of more than 40, and an innings of 283 not out for Bombay v Delhi to his credit, he'd have been an automatic pick if one-day cricket had been around in his time.
Woah! I had never heard of him. I would replace BS Bedi with this dude, if it is okay to pick a player who has not played ODI's.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Should be Ojha's great uncle...who will shoot Ojha in the balls if he ever saw him bowling live.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Two spinners, surely? I'd play de Silva ahead of Ratnayake. No love for Ranatunga either?
Ranatunga is a terrific ODI player. He was a class act in his peak in test matches but that was for a short period like 1986 - 1990. He played well past his best and average of 36 is the result.

SL don't need another spinner when you have Murali in the side. Rumesh Ratnayake if not for injuries was a superior bowler to Vaas and Chandrasoma de Silva as well. On the other hand Jayasuriya and Aravinda are almost full time bowler when it comes to helpful pitches. Vaas and Malinga are very good on slow pitches too. That will reduce the necessity of a second spinner. And Samaraweera is a full time spinner too. He can also bowl some useful off spin.

Chehtha

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
India all-time ODI side

1) Sourav Ganguly
2) Sachin Tendulkar
3) MS Dhoni
4) Mohammad Azharuddin
5) Yuvraj Singh
6) Rahul Dravid
7) Kapil Dev
8) Anil Kumble
9) Bishen Singh Bedi
10)Javagal Srinath
11)Zaheer Khan
Would prefer Dravid at no. 3 rather than Dhoni and since odis would require more to contain than to take wickets, bishy can be replaced by bhajji

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Scotland

Eric Russell
Archie Jackson
Mike Denness
Douglas Jardine*
James Aitchison
Jimmy Allan
Tony Greig
Alec Kennedy
Gregor McGregor+
Ian Peebles
Dave Larter

If you're insisting on them being Scottish born then replace Greig and Jardine with Gavin Hamilton and Brian Hardie
Haha that's quite a gun post.

Are there any Scottish cricketers who play County Championship cricket at the moment? To my knowlegde, none of the Scotland ODI players do anymore. To me it seems quite odd because I've been given every indication to suggest cricket's a lot more popular in Scotland than Ireland.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Haha that's quite a gun post.

Are there any Scottish cricketers who play County Championship cricket at the moment? To my knowlegde, none of the Scotland ODI players do anymore. To me it seems quite odd because I've been given every indication to suggest cricket's a lot more popular in Scotland than Ireland.
Kyle Coetzer plays for Durham, only played 6 matches last season though.