• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best all time XI for each country

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
OK, what would you take? What would you like to face? WI four prong attack vs Larwood's bodyline?
If I was Don Bradman? I'd rather face the WIs of the 80s (with the leg side field restrictions in place) than the barrage of balls bowled at the body in Bodyline with 7 fielders behind square.

Bradman was an excellent hooker and puller, and he'd have dealt with them fairly easily.

If you seriously don't think Larwood was fast...

Harold Larwood - YouTube

Bodyline!!! - YouTube

Larwood was bloody quick.

trapol

U19 12th Man
Spark, this is pretty much all trapol comes to CW to talk about outside of Scotty Styris and his mate Dave.

It's his pet theory and you're not going to convince him otherwise.
HA!!! very true Flem...cant argue with any of that..FTR i do have a mate called Dave! ha

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
i think the protective gear issue is a great clue as to the standard of cricket. as the standard has improved so has the need for protective equipment. Can you imagine players of today walking out to bat facing the quicks of the last 20 years with Green dimpled gloves, towels for thigh pads etc

there was no need for better protection back in the day as they werent quick enough. Larwood, Voce, Allen please
When has the pace of bowlers ever had any correlation to the standard of cricket?

You're effectively saying that because bowlers have got faster (possibly debatable tbh) the standard of cricket has improved. There are many more valid reasons for the improved standard of cricket - technology and professionalism are two that immediately spring to mind - than bowlers adding a few kms over the years.

The quality of a bowler is far more than just the pace he bowls. It's like saying batsmanship has improved because batsmen now hit more sixes.

Spark

Global Moderator
Spark, this is pretty much all trapol comes to CW to talk about outside of Scotty Styris and his mate Dave.

It's his pet theory and you're not going to convince him otherwise.
i would express pity, but my tolerance is at a record low atm

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
as i say ive given you my opinion

what you do with it is up to you

i think the protective gear issue is a great clue as to the standard of cricket. as the standard has improved so has the need for protective equipment. Can you imagine players of today walking out to bat facing the quicks of the last 20 years with Green dimpled gloves, towels for thigh pads etc

there was no need for better protection back in the day as they werent quick enough. Larwood, Voce, Allen please

Helmets make a huge difference. but players today still get cleaned up regularly, far more than in days gone by. why? all those fans of old school cricket im sure will say its because of their greater skill, lightning fast reflexes etc....or maybe its because they simply werent quick enough and even as was suggested during bodyline, that deliberately trying to attack the batsman isnt in the spirit of the game

as mentioned before by myself, maybe you should revisit youtube (sorry to lazy to find the link) of the 1979 speedball comp featuring all the big names. only a beamer from Thomson reached what you would termas quick 147 the rest were in the med/quick bracket if you compare to what happens today

anyway im sure youre all sick of my opinion so i will leave it there
I'm sorry trapol, but if you don't think Jeff Thomson was express, you're kidding yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTaVRuxje80

The footage from 1.45 onwards is pretty instructive. At 5.45, in what is the second innings and on day five, he lets a wild one go which hits the fence second bounce at fine leg. The man was terrifying.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If I was Don Bradman? I'd rather face the WIs of the 80s (with the leg side field restrictions in place) than the barrage of balls bowled at the body in Bodyline with 7 fielders behind square.

Bradman was an excellent hooker and puller, and he'd have dealt with them fairly easily.

If you seriously don't think Larwood was fast...

Harold Larwood - YouTube

Bodyline!!! - YouTube

Larwood was bloody quick.
Larwood must have been bloody quick, but cannot say the same about Voce and others. On other hand Marshall, Roberts, Garner and Holding all were as quick as Larwood if not quicker. It's basically batting against four Larwoods of different heights hurling it on different trajectories.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Fully agree with that. Garner was the slowest of the lot while the others were all lightning quick.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trapol, just one point which has probably been made before, how would a modern player have done on the uncovered pitches they used to use? Ignoring totally the extra safety equipment they have nowadays, would modern batting techniques have stood up on soft stodgy bowler friendly pitches?

To totally dismiss players from history is so ignorant it beggars belief. Still you stay in your little world, maybe you and WW should meet for a drink sometime.

Last edited: