• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What would Sehwag average is he debuted ten years earlier?

subshakerz

International Coach
Sehwag currently averages 54, and is widely regarded as the most destructive batsman of his time. But after hearing how Ian Chappell placed him in his All-Time XI, I must question if he is really that great or a bit fortunate to be playing in the current era. My query then is what would you feel his average would be if he played in the era of Waqar/Wasim, Donald/Pollock, McGrath/Gillespie, and Walsh/Ambrose? Given that any all-time great is expected to succeed in any era, would he have enjoyed the same exceptional success and boasted an average of 50+? Or would his average have taken a significant hit?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Personally, don't care. Not his job to develop a technique for conditions he'll never play in and bowlers he'll never face.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
We can get an answer if we see some super fast bowlers come through. WI are having few sharp youngsters, and another 145k addition to SAF attack will push the attack up to that level. But other attacks are borderline jokes compared to W & W or four pronged WI attack. Sehwag against them will give a better idea IMO.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I would say he would have averaged slightly more than Chris Martin's average of 2.36. Perhaps Sehwag would have averaged about 3 or 4.

Bun

Banned
45 because it's harsh to expect a 12 year old to score anything above 15 in test cricket till atleast he attains puberty.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Coming next: What would Sehwag average if he had been born with one arm/three eyes/webbed feet/night vision/fire breath?

smash84

The Tiger King
Coming next: What would Sehwag average if he had been born with one arm/three eyes/webbed feet/night vision/fire breath?
lol.....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

on a more serious note I do agree with Migara somewhat. The bowling attacks nowadays lack quality. Just compare Aussie, Pak, WI, attacks of 90s. There is daylight between the past and present attacks. SA are somewhat comparable to their past attack. But there were quite a few quality batsmen who were very good but just didn't average as high because they faced top quality bowlers.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So sick of posters trying to knock down Sehwag achievements. ffs, he's still a bloody good batsman regardless of the pitches he played on.