• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ward Leaves Surrey County Club

Andre

International Regular
Cricket Web Article

Quite interesting, although fair enough. No way he will get noticed around the other players there, and possibly the club will want to open with Sam Newman.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Scott Newman :)

Like you were saying, combine this with the fact that Pietersen wants out at Notts and it looks like Kevin is off to the Oval and Wardy will be on his way to Trent Bridge, perhaps?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hmm, i thought playing for Surrey was always benificial because the selectors tended to look at them first for England players...

Anna

International Vice-Captain
I know! How about Ward coming to Somerset in exchange for, say, Keith Dutch? :D We could do with some decent players!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Anna said:
I know! How about Ward coming to Somerset in exchange for, say, Keith Dutch? :D We could do with some decent players!
A few years ago Keith Dutch was a decent player. What went wrong?

Anna

Originally posted by Rik
A few years ago Keith Dutch was a decent player. What went wrong?
I know. It's quite sad really, but after the ultimatums the players at Somerset were given Dutch did nothing to save his skin so i'm afraid he might be off. Blackwell's definitely staying but I have no idea who else'll go. Bowler hasn't got many seasons left as he is 40 but he'll rpobably stay for a few more, if that.

BTW, I did hear that John Francis, brother of Simon, may be joining next season. But I also heard that Matt Bulbeck may be calling it a day because of his dodgey back :( :( :( I really hope that last one isn't true!

Langeveldt

Soutie
I dont rate John Francis too highly, but then again I havent rated his brother, and im sort of eating my words really slowly... I think its too early for Bulbeck to call it a day, he should be back, but im not sure if it will be as an effective all-rounder...

Dutch was a bit of a jobbing all rounder I guess.. Good but nothing spectacular, I guess somerset needed something more spectacular this season...

I think Bowler just has next season to go, or maybe he has already played his last game, who knows...

Ward at somerset would be great. he would have a feast on the current pitch!

Bazza

International 12th Man
He'd be carrying his bat every week! :P

Anyway I'm surprised to hear Ward is leaving, though it kinda makes sense. Would be great if Hants got him (we need two openers), but I guess he'd want to go somewhere he'd have a shot at England recognition. Then again it worked for John Crawley!

Also surprised to hear Pieterson would leave Notts. Why? He's had a great three years there.

I never rated Simon Francis at Hants but then he seems to be coming along at Somerset. Would be a shame if we let John Francis leave, he is a good prospect. Averages 40 in OD cricket and at 22 once he gets a regular gig could be a good player. Has a good technique IMO.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Bazza said:
Also surprised to hear Pieterson would leave Notts. Why? He's had a great three years there
Well it's because he's not happy with the way the Coach who brought him to Notts, the man he feels is his mentor, Clive Rice, was sacked. He's not been happy ever since.

Anna

Originally posted by Langeveldt
I dont rate John Francis too highly, but then again I havent rated his brother, and im sort of eating my words really slowly...
And so you should be :P And before you say anything, I have said that Gazzard is a good player so don't even think of bringing him into the argument! :P :D

Bazza

International 12th Man
Well it's official - Francis (John) is off to Somerset.

Apparently this is much to the anger of Hampshire management (Tim Tremlett, Paul Terry, etc), because there were rumours of this nature early in the season, and when quizzed Francis denied it. As a result (being a decent prospect), Francis was given a decent run in the side after returning from university, only to turn round and walk out now.

Probably not a good idea to rub people up the wrong way...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
According to Ceefax Anderson has offered Ward the captaincy if he joins Somerset. If I was Micheal Burns I'd be feeling rather cheesed off at the moment...