• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever ODI batsman

Who do you think is the best ever ODI batsman?

• Total voters

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
With the best ODI bowler poll running I thought we should have a poll for best ODI batsman too. In my shortlist I am including the top 10 ODI batsmen according to Wisden as of December 2002, the most prolific scorer of last decade Ponting and my personal favorite Greenidge.

Debris

International 12th Man
Bevan's record is amazing. Lost count of the matches he won pretty much on his own.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
tendulkar, then richards

dude started playing when he was 16-present and still averages 45+.

And lets get real zaheer abbas played 60 ODI's. He was unable to maintain a similar performance in (what should be easier) List A matches where he averages 40.

i cant believe people are debating this. In tests yea you can say others are better but in ODI's, tendulkar is the best hands down.

Debris

International 12th Man
i cant believe people are debating this. In tests yea you can say others are better but in ODI's, tendulkar is the best hands down.
So what makes him hands down better than Bevan considering his average is 45 to Bevan's 53.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
So what makes him hands down better than Bevan considering his average is 45 to Bevan's 53.
because bevans average is inflated considering he has so many not outs.

i mean dhoni averages 50 but no one claims he is better than tendulkar because its the not outs that cause that high average.

Debris

International 12th Man
because bevans average is inflated considering he has so many not outs.

i mean dhoni averages 50 but no one claims he is better than tendulkar because its the not outs that cause that high average.
Not really because he did not really get the chance to make huge scores either. You might as well argue that Tendulkar's average is inflated because he gets the chance to make big hundreds. It evens out. And if Dhoni can continue to average 50 over his career, I think he might have a case as well. I guess the real test is the difference between their average and others batting in the same position. I know I am backing Bevan in that argument.

Bevan's legacy is not really his average anyway, it is his unparalleled ability to perform under pressure.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Viv is better than Bevan and Sachin IMO, but not by two daylights worth. I assume you're just exaggerating trying to make your point though.
Haha yeah, I just don't really think there should be much of a debate over it TBH. Tendulkar's probably the "greatest" ODI batsman, who's had the best career, but that's a fair bit different from being the best player in my eyes. What Richards did in the era he played was extraordinary. I actually think it contributes to him being slightly over-rated in Tests *ducks for cover* but even though it's reasonably close, I think it's pretty conclusive.

Debris

International 12th Man
Richards was part of winning a world cup, at least. Someone being mentioned was not. :ph34r:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha yeah, I just don't really think there should be much of a debate over it TBH. Tendulkar's probably the "greatest" ODI batsman, who's had the best career, but that's a fair bit different from being the best player in my eyes. What Richards did in the era he played was extraordinary. I actually think it contributes to him being slightly over-rated in Tests *ducks for cover* but even though it's reasonably close, I think it's pretty conclusive.
Agree with that part.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If Mark Waugh desrves to be in that poll, so is De Silva. Mike Hussey also should be in that poll.

It's no contest BTW, Viv, then SRT, then the rest.

Maximus0723

State Regular
Wasn't similar thread done some months ago.
Nothing has changed from now and then.

It's two man content, really.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think the competition is between Viv Richards, Sachin and Bevan here IMO. Sachin for his longevity and consistency more than anything else. Viv Richards for his ability to turn matches on their head, and Bevan's ability to rescue a match from impossible situation.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heart would say Bevo, but it really has to be Richards. Particularly given the era he played in.

pasag

RTDAS
Had always been Viv for me, but that 200 from Sachin has made me reevaluate things. IMO Sachin is the almost the Bradman of the one day game.