• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever ODI batsman

Who do you think is the best ever ODI batsman?

• Total voters

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know about that Ankit. Match situations should count for something shouldn't they??? Otherwise how will we ever know which player is good under pressure and which player is not???
I am not saying that match situations don't count :)

To add to my last post, one should think about it like this - Would getting out in the WC03 final cheaply be among Tendulkar's biggest regrets? Like not going over the finishing line in WC96 semi would be for Richie Richardson? Of course not. That's why I hate using WC03 against Tendulkar.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Lol

Tendulkar played 2 semi-finals and 1 final.

In both semi-finals, He scored essential Innings(65 and 83), In the first one, his team collapsed with highest after him being 25, In the second one, His team capitalized on his 83 and won it.

He averages 74 in semi finals and has one failure in the finals. When we're bashing him for failing to score in a one-off Innings against the greatest ODI bowler and using it as him being fail in pressure situations, Let's not forget how he has performed in semi-finals.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The game against Pakistan in 2003 was a virtual knockout as well IIRC, and the game against Zimbabwe after Australia thrashed India by 9 wickets in the group stages. And before we say it was only Zimbabwe, they had a nasty habit of crashing our party in World Cups (see '99).

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Moving slightly off the point it's a shame we never saw Bradman playing ODI's - given his ability to place the ball with such precision I suspect the gulf between him and everyone else would have been even more marked than in the first class game

smash84

The Tiger King
The real discussion has gone out the window. Viv and Tendulkar seem to be leading it though. Personally I voted for Micheal Bevan because of the sheer number of high pressure knocks that he played well, the grittiness that he brought to the side, and his never say die attitude.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No it isn't. He's using WC matches to support his argument by just ignoring majority of the matches. I took a step forward and showed that since Aravinda and Bevan has similar WC reords, Aravinda's record in finals makes him a better player than Bevan. This is Ikki's own little selective way of stats picking, and I am using his methods and giving a bit of his own medicine.

Next we look at Lance Klusener. Averages 41.1 and SR of 90. Comparable record with Bevan. And in WCs Klusener averages 124 @ 121. Hence Klusener > Bevan. Ikki's once again in hi WC matches shocker.
Klusener and Bevan's averages are hardly comparable. If people argue that Bevan's average was inflated by not out's then surely you'd do the same with Klusener. I also think you're giving too much credit to strike rate, given that Bevan's strike rate had a lot to do with his match situations. Feel you're as biased as Ikki.

ftr I do think Ikki takes it overboard, but Aravinda's and Bevan's OD averages aren't really comparable.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Voted for Bevan because he understood the format so completely. If you think not outs inflated his average, you are simply wrong for the reasons given here before ad nauseam.

Could equally have gone for SRT or Sir Viv.

Evilhoopler

U19 12th Man
I cannot see why Sachinm Tendulkar has received so many votes? He plays half his career on Indian wicket, which are absolute roads. If you can't make runs in India, then you shouldn't be an International Cricketer.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I cannot see why Sachinm Tendulkar has received so many votes? He plays half his career on Indian wicket, which are absolute roads. If you can't make runs in India, then you shouldn't be an International Cricketer.
So Ricky Ponting should be looking for another job then? :-O

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Klusener and Bevan's averages are hardly comparable. If people argue that Bevan's average was inflated by not out's then surely you'd do the same with Klusener. I also think you're giving too much credit to strike rate, given that Bevan's strike rate had a lot to do with his match situations. Feel you're as biased as Ikki.

ftr I do think Ikki takes it overboard, but Aravinda's and Bevan's OD averages aren't really comparable.
Klusener's Avg is not close to Bevan's, and Bevan's SR is not even close to Klusener's . When both are combined, and as finishers both are comparable. SR is one of the most important aspects in ODIs even more than averages. I look biased because I am extending Ikki's own biased stat-fixing methods a step further. I know that Bevan was a better batsman than de Silva. But the method he stats picks to degrade Dhoni, was used to degrade Bevan showing that Klusener and Abbas were better batsmen than Bevan. Finally, it's Ikki getting his own medicine back. None of the concepts are mine FTR.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Here are the performance of visiting batsmen on those roads against ****ty Indian bowling line ups. Very few averages more than Tendulkar.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
SR is unimportant if you are chasing and getting to the score in time. Said now for the 20th time.

Also, in your link you have forgotten to tick away. More to the point Tendulkar didn't face India. Of course, you should know this since whenever talking about Australia's matches it's brought up that Australians didn't face their bowlers at home. Did you forget or choose to forget?

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
SR is unimportant if you are chasing and getting to the score in time. Said now for the 20th time.
Wrong. SR is always important when you are setting targets. Said this for about 20th time. In that aspect, Dhoni beats Bevan all ends up.

Also, in your link you have forgotten to tick away.
It's fixed now.

More to the point; the best attack in India to face is India's. Tendulkar didn't face India.
I'll save this for future purposes.

Of course, you should know this since whenever talking about Australia's matches it's brought up that Australians didn't face their bowlers at home. Did you forget or choose to forget?
See the above.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This is getting more ridiculous with every post by Ikki. An attack made up of Irfan Pathan, Balaji, Ishant, Sreesanth, Nehra is toughest to face in India? Proove that with some numbers and we will see.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Well I edited my point to check. India had the best bowling attack at home in Tests in the 90s and decent in the 00s. Gotta see if they were even near that in the ODIs.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Wrong. SR is always important when you are setting targets. Said this for about 20th time. In that aspect, Dhoni beats Bevan all ends up.

It's fixed now.

I'll save this for future purposes.

See the above.
Bevan averages 52 @ 80 when setting a target; Klusener averages 40 @ 87. Who are you trying to kid? They're as comparable as Gilchrist and Tendulkar.

Last edited: