• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Border's Record For Most Consecutive Test Matches Ever Be Broken?

Will Border's Iron Man Record Be Broken?

• Total voters

TheLegend™

Cricket Spectator
His record stands at 153 consecutive test matches, do you guys think anyone will ever be able to break it?

The next closest is Mark Waugh with 107. Of current players the nearest players are Raul Dravid (IND) with 93, Tendulkar (IND) with 84 and Mark Boucher (SA) with 75 non of whom realistically stand a chance.

The man who currently has the most realistic shot at it is AB de Villiers (SA) who at the age of 26 years has 63 consecutive test matches under his belt.

What do you guys think? Will the record ever be broken or are players just to "soft" today to accomplish such an "iron man" feat?

Blocky

Banned
A batsman from the English or Australian team will do it - they play so many tests these days.

McCullum doesn't have a chance, he'll be lucky to play 150 tests total due to NZ only playing 5-6 a year.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What do you guys think? Will the record ever be broken or are players just to "soft" today to accomplish such an "iron man" feat?
Don't think it's anything to do with cricketers being "soft" - the fact that Mark Waugh is the only other person in history to manage over 100 Tests consecutively speaks volumes for how unique an achievement Border's record is.

To beat it, a player (most likely a batsman) would have to be identified quite young as a special talent, have a career lasting about 15 years, suffering no injuries and without losing his place in the side due to a poor run of form.

I'm aware of how great Border's record is, but part of me wonders if he also benefitted from some pretty unique circumstances. Given how poor Australia were in the mid-late 80s, did Border perhaps benefit from a lack of credible alternatives at times? Were there times where he went through a run of poor form that would have seen him dropped like Steve Waugh was in the early 90s?

Athlai

Not Terrible
He currently stands at 55 consecutive test matches played. Alistair Cook stands at 58 consecutive and is a year younger than de Villiers.
A batsman from the English or Australian team will do it - they play so many tests these days.

McCullum doesn't have a chance, he'll be lucky to play 150 tests total due to NZ only playing 5-6 a year.
I think McCullum was close to the record of most international matches in a row, including T20 and ODI.

TheLegend™

Cricket Spectator
Don't think it's anything to do with cricketers being "soft" - the fact that Mark Waugh AND Sunil Gavaskar are the only other persons in history to manage over 100 Tests consecutively speaks volumes for how unique an achievement Border's record is.

To beat it, a player (most likely a batsman) would have to be identified quite young as a special talent, have a career lasting about 15 years, suffering no injuries and without losing his place in the side due to a poor run of form.

I'm aware of how great Border's record is, but part of me wonders if he also benefitted from some pretty unique circumstances. Given how poor Australia were in the mid-late 80s, did Border perhaps benefit from a lack of credible alternatives at times? Were there times where he went through a run of poor form that would have seen him dropped like Steve Waugh was in the early 90s?
FIXED

oh and when I said "soft" I was just going by what is the general consensus of athlete of today ask compared to yesteryear.

Reason why I thought de Villiers currently has the best shot is because of the fact that his position in that SA side is a shoe in for probably the next 5-7 years especially if he remains constant and improve, his versatility is what makes him a key asset who is unlikely to suffer a dropping but may very well suffer an injury however.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Kapil Dev was closest. Played 131 (?) tests, and the only one he missed in between was when he was dropped on questionable disciplinary grounds. Besides he was an all rounder too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Players play so much more cricket that missing tests for injury (also if they intentionally miss a Bangladesh tour) is too likely for it to be beaten IMO.

Devilliers could though, but keeping in ODIs will take its toll on him one day.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
players play so much more cricket that missing tests for injury (also if they intentionally miss a bangladesh tour) is too likely for it to be beaten imo.

Devilliers could though, but keeping in odis will take its toll on him one day.

awta.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Series from 1983:

vs Pakistan, 83/84: 429 @ 86.
vs Windies, 83/84: 521 @ 74.
vs Windies, 84/85: 246 @ 27.33.
vs England, 1985: 597 @ 66.
vs Kiwiland, 85/86: 279 @ 56.
vs India, 85/86: 298 @ 60.
vs Kiwiland, 85/86: 290 @ 73.
vs India, 86/87: 245 @ 82.
vs England: 86/87: 473 @ 53.
vs Kiwiland: 87/88: 288 @ 72.
vs England: 87/88: 50 @ 50.
vs Sri Lanka: 87/88: 88 @ 88.
vs Pakistan: 88/89: 230 @ 58.
vs Windies: 88/89: 258 @ 32.
vs England: 1989: 442 @ 74.
vs Kiwliand: 89/90: 50 @ 50.
vs Sri Lanka: 89/90: 165 @ 55.

Two series averaging less than 50. I think he was earning his spot.

bagapath

International Captain
yeah. he was consistent throughout his career. even after the period you have listed above, from 1990 till his retirement, he didnt perform too badly. i guess he was an automatic choice as a batsman though he didnt score any centuries for four years between sep '88 and aug '92. but he scored 22 half centuries in those 37 games. so, i guess that is good enough.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

gilly's record of 96 consecutive tests from debut till retirement is too tough to beat too. Kapil also holds a stellar record of playing 66 tests straight from debut until he was dropped for one test. he came back and played 65 more tests on the trot and retired.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Series from 1983:

vs Pakistan, 83/84: 429 @ 86.
vs Windies, 83/84: 521 @ 74.
vs Windies, 84/85: 246 @ 27.33.
vs England, 1985: 597 @ 66.
vs Kiwiland, 85/86: 279 @ 56.
vs India, 85/86: 298 @ 60.
vs Kiwiland, 85/86: 290 @ 73.
vs India, 86/87: 245 @ 82.
vs England: 86/87: 473 @ 53.
vs Kiwiland: 87/88: 288 @ 72.
vs England: 87/88: 50 @ 50.
vs Sri Lanka: 87/88: 88 @ 88.
vs Pakistan: 88/89: 230 @ 58.
vs Windies: 88/89: 258 @ 32.
vs England: 1989: 442 @ 74.
vs Kiwliand: 89/90: 50 @ 50.
vs Sri Lanka: 89/90: 165 @ 55.

Two series averaging less than 50. I think he was earning his spot.
Wow, thats just top class.

Debris

International 12th Man
yeah. as tough as bettering 99.94 after at least 40 innings
Well you have already put in a qualifier there. Why 40 in particular and not say 100? The nice thing about Border's record is that no qualifier is necessary.

bagapath

International Captain
Well you have already put in a qualifier there. Why 40 in particular and not say 100? The nice thing about Border's record is that no qualifier is necessary.
i said 40 because it is relatively easier to achieve a high average for a shorter period than maintaining it for 100 innings. i am saying border's record is that difficult. if i dont add a qualifier someone might score two hundreds in their first two innings and look bigger than bradman. hussey almost did for 20 odd tests. i am adding the qualifier to separate the real record from a purple patch. if at all i am doing something, i am making AB's record look bigger. but i agree that there is no qualifier needed for border's record.

Last edited: