View Poll Results: Will Border's Iron Man Record Be Broken?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 27.27%
  • No

16 72.73%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Border's Record For Most Consecutive Test Matches Ever Be Broken?

Will Border's Record For Most Consecutive Test Matches Ever Be Broken?

His record stands at 153 consecutive test matches, do you guys think anyone will ever be able to break it?

The next closest is Mark Waugh with 107. Of current players the nearest players are Raul Dravid (IND) with 93, Tendulkar (IND) with 84 and Mark Boucher (SA) with 75 non of whom realistically stand a chance.

The man who currently has the most realistic shot at it is AB de Villiers (SA) who at the age of 26 years has 63 consecutive test matches under his belt.

What do you guys think? Will the record ever be broken or are players just to "soft" today to accomplish such an "iron man" feat?

Plops Champion! Tournaments Won: 2
    Wasn't McCullum close before a recent series? Or was that for all internationals?
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Wasn't McCullum close before a recent series? Or was that for all internationals?
    He currently stands at 55 consecutive test matches played. Alistair Cook stands at 58 consecutive and is a year younger than de Villiers.

State Regular
    A batsman from the English or Australian team will do it - they play so many tests these days.

McCullum doesn't have a chance, he'll be lucky to play 150 tests total due to NZ only playing 5-6 a year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendô View Post
    What do you guys think? Will the record ever be broken or are players just to "soft" today to accomplish such an "iron man" feat?
    Don't think it's anything to do with cricketers being "soft" - the fact that Mark Waugh is the only other person in history to manage over 100 Tests consecutively speaks volumes for how unique an achievement Border's record is.

To beat it, a player (most likely a batsman) would have to be identified quite young as a special talent, have a career lasting about 15 years, suffering no injuries and without losing his place in the side due to a poor run of form.

I'm aware of how great Border's record is, but part of me wonders if he also benefitted from some pretty unique circumstances. Given how poor Australia were in the mid-late 80s, did Border perhaps benefit from a lack of credible alternatives at times? Were there times where he went through a run of poor form that would have seen him dropped like Steve Waugh was in the early 90s?

Plops Champion! Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendô View Post
    He currently stands at 55 consecutive test matches played. Alistair Cook stands at 58 consecutive and is a year younger than de Villiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blocky View Post
    A batsman from the English or Australian team will do it - they play so many tests these days.

McCullum doesn't have a chance, he'll be lucky to play 150 tests total due to NZ only playing 5-6 a year.
    I think McCullum was close to the record of most international matches in a row, including T20 and ODI.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Don't think it's anything to do with cricketers being "soft" - the fact that Mark Waugh AND Sunil Gavaskar are the only other persons in history to manage over 100 Tests consecutively speaks volumes for how unique an achievement Border's record is.

To beat it, a player (most likely a batsman) would have to be identified quite young as a special talent, have a career lasting about 15 years, suffering no injuries and without losing his place in the side due to a poor run of form.

I'm aware of how great Border's record is, but part of me wonders if he also benefitted from some pretty unique circumstances. Given how poor Australia were in the mid-late 80s, did Border perhaps benefit from a lack of credible alternatives at times? Were there times where he went through a run of poor form that would have seen him dropped like Steve Waugh was in the early 90s?
    FIXED

oh and when I said "soft" I was just going by what is the general consensus of athlete of today ask compared to yesteryear.

Reason why I thought de Villiers currently has the best shot is because of the fact that his position in that SA side is a shoe in for probably the next 5-7 years especially if he remains constant and improve, his versatility is what makes him a key asset who is unlikely to suffer a dropping but may very well suffer an injury however.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    The more Allan Border love on this forum the better, tbh.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    The more Allan Border love on this forum the better, tbh.
    in all fairness this is my first day on this forum. I really am not familiar with its "traditions"

Kapil Dev was closest. Played 131 (?) tests, and the only one he missed in between was when he was dropped on questionable disciplinary grounds. Besides he was an all rounder too.
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Players play so much more cricket that missing tests for injury (also if they intentionally miss a Bangladesh tour) is too likely for it to be beaten IMO.

Devilliers could though, but keeping in ODIs will take its toll on him one day.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    players play so much more cricket that missing tests for injury (also if they intentionally miss a bangladesh tour) is too likely for it to be beaten imo.

Devilliers could though, but keeping in odis will take its toll on him one day.

awta.

This could be the toughest career record of them all to break.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    No reason to think someone wont get there eventually.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Debris View Post
    This could be the toughest career record of them all to break.
    yeah. as tough as bettering 99.94 after at least 40 innings

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information