• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Leg Spinner's Right Foot Plant

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Right, I've been experimenting with the angle of plant on my right foot (i.e. the back of the delivery stride) over the last couple of weeks when bowling leg spin, through from pretty much pointing at the batsman through square even up to angled towards mid-on.

I've found that the first option gives me much more control over line and more spin.. what angle(s) do others plant the foot at?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well usually i plant my foot pointing in the direction of fine leg as i run up to bowl, however doing this for more than 30 matches this summer has resulted in me developing a crack in my heel, so i wouldnt reccomend it,

maybe the placing of it didnt have an effect though im not sure...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Although I'm a left-arm-spinner, whenever I've tried wrist spin I've used basically the same action as with my finger-spin and medium-pace. My Left Foot (back foot) is about 15 degrees off to the left, turn that around to your right foot. I'm quite chest-on with a slight movement to the left when bracing myself in the stride. Never really caused me any injuries except in my damn left shoulder.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neil,

The foot position as far as in the delivery stride isn't as important as what it does after you let go of the ball. Your back foot as it is probably results in a more square-on action which is around about right for a leg-spin bowler. However, when you let go of the ball, do a 'kick' al la, Shane Warne:

http://statserver.cricket.org/perl/picture.cgi/011443

If you keep your right foot anchored on the crease (whatever the position), you'll be off-balance when you're about to let go of the ball. Actually doing the 'kick' means your arm will be able to move in the slightly round-arm fashion that leggies bowl and you'll be able to keep your balance. Obviously, your accuracy will get better but the amount of spin you'll be able to put on the ball will be phenomenal.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I found this thread a couple of days ago, and it got me thinking.

I have been playing around in my back garden (which is sizeable), as when I usually bowl I don't think much about my action.

I found that I spin it more pointing away from the batsman at 90 degrees (don't ask me why) but I am way more inaccurate in terms of line (length doesn't seem to come into this too much).

Feel free to rip me to pieces for digging up an ancient thread.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Tom Halsey said:
I expected that to be mentioned, but by Neil...
Nah its just a case of spotting the oppertunity and moving in for the kill.. Young Essex lads are the easiest of the lot...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Nah its just a case of spotting the oppertunity and moving in for the kill.. Young Essex lads are the easiest of the lot...
Do you have any idea how dodgy that sounds?!

chris.hinton

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Right, I've been experimenting with the angle of plant on my right foot (i.e. the back of the delivery stride) over the last couple of weeks when bowling leg spin, through from pretty much pointing at the batsman through square even up to angled towards mid-on.

I've found that the first option gives me much more control over line and more spin.. what angle(s) do others plant the foot at?

Plant your leg towards the batsman and give more energy and you wil spin the bowl better

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Off-topic: When I first saw this thread title, I thought it was about Stuie McGill's protest :P Haha!!

Andre

International Regular
Top_Cat said:
Neil,

The foot position as far as in the delivery stride isn't as important as what it does after you let go of the ball. Your back foot as it is probably results in a more square-on action which is around about right for a leg-spin bowler. However, when you let go of the ball, do a 'kick' al la, Shane Warne:
Spot on, brother. If you're following through with your right foot towards 1st slip/cover after you've let go of the ball, you'll get supreme turn and drift.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
chris.hinton said:
Plant your leg towards the batsman and give more energy and you wil spin the bowl better
Unless you have a kind of weird action like me - I spin the ball far more with my foot pointing square away from the batsman - but I still need tthe pivot, etc.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
tom i think the fact that you spin the ball so much is mainly due to the fact that your arm is at 180 degrees when you release the ball.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
This post will sound like I'm on drugs, but I assure you I don't think I am. Imagine an ambidextrous spinner who could bowl with either hand. He'd come lumbering in and could bowl with the hand the balls in or toss it to the other. It'd freak the batsmen out I'd think. Has this ever been tried in any form of cricket? I know it would take some serious coordination, but I think it could be super-effective or at least be a neat novelty act.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Armadillo said:
tom i think the fact that you spin the ball so much is mainly due to the fact that your arm is at 180 degrees when you release the ball.
Wide, yes, 180 degrees is an exageration.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lions81 said:
This post will sound like I'm on drugs, but I assure you I don't think I am. Imagine an ambidextrous spinner who could bowl with either hand. He'd come lumbering in and could bowl with the hand the balls in or toss it to the other. It'd freak the batsmen out I'd think. Has this ever been tried in any form of cricket? I know it would take some serious coordination, but I think it could be super-effective or at least be a neat novelty act.
It would be 100% illegal.