• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best subcontinental batsman: 2000-2010

Who is the best subcontinental test batsman (2000-2010)

• Total voters

Dissector

International Debutant
My vote goes to VVS Laxman. Here is a list of the stats during this period excluding BD/Zim and Laxman is right in the mix averaging 53. However if you look at tests in Australia,England and South Africa he averages 54, second only to Tendulkar among these 9 batsmen and far ahead of several of them. So in addition to being superb against the best team in this period and playing a couple of the greatest innings ever he has been consistent home and away against most teams.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Upon reading the title my first instinct was Jayawardene, although that may just be because of the difference between this and his other performances. Still, he'd be right up there. Sehwag worth a serious shout too.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Away from SCDravid, SRT and VVS leads here.

So my choice would be 1. SRT, 2. Dravid, 3. VVS / Sangakkara (because he was starting his career unlike above)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hmm wait - are we voting for the best batsman in subcontinental conditions, or the best batsman from the subcontinent?

Dissector

International Debutant
Batting records, 2000 - 2010

SRT @ 56.8, Inzamam @ 56.8, Sangakkara @ 56.6 and Yousuf @ 56.2 lead the way.
Those numbers include BD/Zim. Excluding them you get:

Sehwag 56
Inzamam 55
Jayawardane 54
Sangakkara 53
Laxman 53
Younis 52
Yousuf 52
Dravid 51
Tendulkar 51

If you look at tests in Aus, Eng and SA you get:
Tendulkar 56
Laxman 54
Dravid 53
Sehwag 45
Younis 43
Sangakarra 41
Yousuf 41
Jaywardane 38
Inzamam 37

It's the latter number which really separates the players IMO.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Agree with Pews. I think its probably Tendulkar or Sangakkara although I'm leaning towards Tendulkar more. Top player.

Dissector

International Debutant
No, the decade is 2000-2009. I am interested in evaluating players from 2000 to the current date so therefore 2000-2010. It does make a bit of difference since Tendulkar in particular has had a great year.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeh, if you go to 2010 you are including 11 years - not a decade.

Reckon it's Sangakkara.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Went with Dravid. Our most important all-conditions player for the first 6 years of the decade. His innings in Headingley, Adelaide, Rawalpindi, centuries in both innings in Kolkata in 2005 and fifties in Kingston in 2006 were a cornerstone of the biggest results of the decade for Indian cricket. Don't forget the 180 alongside Laxman at Kolkata in 2001.

smash84

The Tiger King
Went with Dravid. Our most important all-conditions player for the first 6 years of the decade. His innings in Headingley, Adelaide, Rawalpindi, centuries in both innings in Kolkata in 2005 and fifties in Kingston in 2006 were a cornerstone of the biggest results of the decade for Indian cricket. Don't forget the 180 alongside Laxman at Kolkata in 2001.
I would have to choose between Tendulkar or Dravid. Sangakkara is well on his way to greatness but it is still early time in his career IMO. I would give him a bit more time before giving a verdict.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sanga probably, then Dravid.

Laxman's stats are fantastic though, and Sachin's last 4 years are brilliant as well.