• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting or Dravid

Which outcome is most likely?

• Ponting

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Dravid

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Both

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
According to Ceefax, Somerset are talking to both of the above!
Dravid for me - 2 reasons

1 - Proven in the county game after a few stays with a few clubs

2 - Apart from the Bangladesh series and ICC CT in Sept he has a free summmer

* NOTE Dravid has said that he doesn't think he could cope with a full season, ie that's why he signed with Scotland rather than return to Kent this summer as he only had to play a few OD matches.

R.Ponting has a busy summer, a tour in April/May time and a home series vs Sri Lanka in June/July then onto the ICC CT in Spet so you would only have him for a month - month and a half at best.

Also the ACB seem very hard to please in releasing Full Australian internationals.. Surrey tried to sign B.Lee ad they turned around and said no your not even speaking to him.

Only exceptions are Symo (Kent) / Harvey (Gloucs) only plays ODI anyway and hardly classed as Australia's best players. And the only real Aussie internation I can think of is S.MacGill but he had a two year contract form last year (before Warne's going on's)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Neither, as Anderson will expect them to play for £2.65 an hour plus a free cider for each century.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Ponting would be my first choice because he scores runs and is good captain material, but then theirs the point Rich 2001 made about his busy summer. If that's the case, then Dravid would be great because he also scores runs and Somerset could do with a run scorer (I'm not saying they don't have any, they're just not consistant enough). Either (or both!) would be great, although Nixon McLean should be given another couple of years because he has done so well for Somerset this season and who knows what the bowling attack would have looked like without him! Burns and Parsons opening perhaps - doesn't bear thinking about! Anyway, we don't even know if either of them will sign so why speculate? If not them, how about Lance Klusener? Or Jacques Kallis? :D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think either will end up being signed, Dravid thinks a full season is too exhausting and Ponting has a busy schedual, plus the fact that I don't think Somerset want to play "Overseas Pro Musical Chairs" after this year...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rik said:
I don't think either will end up being signed, Dravid thinks a full season is too exhausting and Ponting has a busy schedual, plus the fact that I don't think Somerset want to play "Overseas Pro Musical Chairs" after this year...
Would Cricket Australia allow Ponting to sign on?