• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

bond=>mcgrath>akram

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dale Steyn is a replica of Shane Bond in many ways - same sort of speed, front on action, ability to swing the ball and getting more and more consistent. No wonder that he's taking wickets at 5 per game, similar to Bondy at a strike rate just one ball worse than Bondy.

So factoring in longevity - Steyn > Bond
Steyn is more side-on with his action, it's what allows him to have that natural outswinger, whereas in the main Bond's front on action helped him have his inswinger as his main method of moving the ball, with the outswinger being a variation.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
How about an analysis of the amount of games all these bowlers played in the Subcontinent or Sharjah and how many they played lets say in Australia, England, NZ, or SA?

Lets try that for once. One bowler plays majority of his cricket on bouncy and seaming tracks, and the other plays on roads yet he comes up with statistically a longer career. And matches the others in pretty much all the stats.

So convinient to simply throw out the pitch condition aspect of the whole analysis. As an ODI bowler no one beats Akram. As a test bowler Akram is right up there with one of the best.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

Sounds like we're all violently agreeing with each other when it comes to McGrath then. :p
:lol:

I was reading the posts between Smalishah and Burgey and it reminded me one those jokes where the 2 deaf people are traveling in a train....

1st Deaf says: So you are going to Lahore?

2nd Deaf says: Nah, i am just headed to Lahore?

1st Deaf says: Oh ok, thought you were headed to Lahore.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
:lol:

I was reading the posts between Smalishah and Burgey and it reminded me one those jokes where the 2 deaf people are traveling in a train....

1st Deaf says: So you are going to Lahore?

2nd Deaf says: Nah, i am just headed to Lahore?

1st Deaf says: Oh ok, thought you were headed to Lahore.
:)

Riggins

International Captain
I think bond's stats with regard to win % for NZ are staggering, and really point to how amazing he was. Would have loved to watch him bowl more frequently since i've been watching test cricket over the last few years, especially to the Aussies of 00-07 and see his stats. As they stand, an amazing bowler, but longevity the one aspect missing from measuring how good he really was.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
I think the opening post omits the key comparative figures, IPL contracts:
Bond $750,000
McGrath $350,000
Akram $0
So clearly Bond is 2.14 times better than McGrath, and an infinite number of times better than Akram.
Conclusive. Bond definitely unmatched in the world.... Except perhaps by Keiron Pollard.

Blaze 18

Banned
I think the opening post omits the key comparative figures, IPL contracts:
Bond $750,000
McGrath $350,000
Akram $0
So clearly Bond is 2.14 times better than McGrath, and an infinite number of times better than Akram.
Any idea what Wasim Akram was paid for his coaching stint with the Kolkata knight riders ? It must have been a hefty sum.

Faisal1985

lol.....of course not......

you owed me one after all the "praise" I had heaped upon your "betting on the gender of dead bodies inside coffins" article :)...........

It was in good humor :)
I am actually planning to do that when i visit Pak.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
Bond was a really amazing bowler. Had he played double the matches he'd probably be considered one of the best bowlers of all time. On potential I put him up there but as mentioned it's a bit rich to say he is with under 100 wickets

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Bond was a really amazing bowler. Had he played double the matches he'd probably be considered one of the best bowlers of all time. On potential I put him up there but as mentioned it's a bit rich to say he is with under 100 wickets
i think asif has achieved more in his patchy controversial career, and he has played less minnows.