• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th and 6th best long-form batsmen in Australia

Who are the 5th and 6th best long-form batsmen in Australia? (choose two)

• Total voters

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think it's pretty clear that Watson, Katich, Ponting and Clarke are the best four, or at least four of the best six, but I thought I'd poll CricketWeb to get some opinions on exactly who the other two are.

Ignore age, ignore limited overs cricket, ignore injury, ignore bowling, ignore fielding, ignore potential to improve and ignore cyclical form too but don't ignore what you believe to be genuine improvement or decline.

There's a poll coming, but it might take a while because I'm including quite a few options. I've left Hodge and Symonds out because they've retired from First Class cricket.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
To be fair, think that you can only look at middle order batsmen in this current climate, because our openers are so settled.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Usman the clear first pick for me, went Dussey for number 2 but less sure about that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I've selected Usman Khawaja and David Hussey.

Khawaja needed another ton this season to this point to push his claims, and I reckon even doing it in the Ryobi Cup would have been enough, but unfortunately he's not good enough in that form. Still think that the onus in general has to be put upon the aspirant to force the incumbent out, and Khawaja did everything but. The fact that Hussey ticks every other box about his cricket means that Khawaja has to go that extra mile to force him out.

What I like about David is that he manages some super knocks, has made some amazing runs under pressure and led Victoria to some fourth innings chases. But at the same time, he's not the reliable rock; reckon he'd be well suited to number four with Clarke at five but that's not going to happen.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To be fair, think that you can only look at middle order batsmen in this current climate, because our openers are so settled.
I'd definitely be prepared to change the order a bit if an opener was clearly a better option than the rest. Khawaja himself was always an opener before he he came into Shield cricket UIMM and he's only ever batted three there so it's not like batting five or six would be entirely natural for him either.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I've selected Usman Khawaja and David Hussey.

Khawaja needed another ton this season to this point to push his claims, and I reckon even doing it in the Ryobi Cup would have been enough, but unfortunately he's not good enough in that form. Still think that the onus in general has to be put upon the aspirant to force the incumbent out, and Khawaja did everything but. The fact that Hussey ticks every other box about his cricket means that Khawaja has to go that extra mile to force him out.

What I like about David is that he manages some super knocks, has made some amazing runs under pressure and led Victoria to some fourth innings chases. But at the same time, he's not the reliable rock; reckon he'd be well suited to number four with Clarke at five but that's not going to happen.
To be fair, not really sure that either are that much better than North or Hussey, not putting my balls on the line with that one because if I were picking the side for the Ashes come this Thursday, I'd be picking the incumbents.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
FFS 20 batsman are listed and not one who plays for QLD :(

I went for Khawaja and Mussey.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Should have included last seasons shield player of the year Hartley or Lynn!

Just joking really but still sad that we don't have any batsman who would make Australia C!

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why's Mail in there? ITO?

Even so, I think he's retired from domestic cricket anyway.